Researcher Developing Facial Recognition Glasses To Help Stop Crime

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know if I am sold on all these high tech glasses just yet. The law enforcement aspect is kinda cool though.

This technology could have helped police find the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing sooner. Although police had images of the suspects, it took investigators days to identify them. Current facial recognition programs were limited in identifying the low resolution images of the suspects from surveillance cameras.

The comparison to the movie Minority Report really bothers me.

The glasses aren't meant to be used as some kind of predictor. It seems more like they can simply be used as a tool to compare people in public to records already compiled by law enforcement.

In other words it's just doing what cops have always done.

Already exists for camera surveillance systems that have 1080p standard resolution cameras.

Might need a connection to a criminal database though, but I know it's available tech.

What really needs to happen is that security cameras need to be a lot higher resolution then they currently are.

The companies that sell people/businesses "security cameras" that are below 1080p need to be put out of business as the resolution is so horrible that it is stupid to think that you can actually easily identify anybody with one of them unless they are only a couple feet from the camera.

Even 1080p is a really sucky resolution when compared to actual cameras that are for the most part pushing 16Mp (4608 x 3456) or more.

Then there is the problem of shop owners wanting to skimp every way they can and then don't understand why what they buy is total crap.

Then there is the problem of shop owners wanting to skimp every way they can and then don't understand why what they buy is total crap.

I'm going to just go through the motions here, like thinking out loud.

I own a business, security stuff is overhead no way around it. But do I need it.

I already pay for insurance so if I am insured, do I need security and insurance?

Maybe my insurance company requires security? If they do, how much?

Maybe the problem is the insurance companies require too little, maybe they should require more. But then they still have to compete with other insurance companies, who might not require as much.

I think we can see that this is a dog that can chase it's tail around a tree all day. You have to factor costs, risks, etc, and come up with the best all around solution. Just don't get confused thinking it's only about stopping crime, or catching criminals, or keeping everyone in a job.

You know, if we drove all the criminals into giving up crime, we would have more competition for jobs.

Oh, and it's more then just the camera, you have to store the data too, it costs.

Back