British Spies DDoS Attacked Anonymous

HardOCP News

[H] News
That's so mean, DDoS attacking kids in their mom's basement. :D

According to the documents, a division of Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), the British counterpart of the NSA, shut down communications among Anonymous hacktivists by launching a “denial of service” (DDOS) attack – the same technique hackers use to take down bank, retail and government websites – making the British government the first Western government known to have conducted such an attack.

we're categorizing government sanctioned attacks now? Without categorizing, I'm thinking the US and Israel are among the first with Stuxnet.

“denial of service” (DDOS) attack –....– making the British government the first Western government known to have conducted such an attack.

I believe the comment was specific to DDOS attacks, not attacks in general.

soooo the message here is that it's okay if the government does it, but if you do it, its illegal.

The whole "do as we say, not as we do" model will backfire, every single damn time.

So again a government is caught doing illegal things without any proof of illegal activity. Keep it up US and Britain, you continue to oppress people and they will fight back harder and harder harder.

soooo the message here is that it's okay if the government does it, but if you do it, its illegal.

The whole "do as we say, not as we do" model will backfire, every single damn time.

It's always been like that. If you disagree with your neighbor and kill him, it's murder. If your government disagree with another country and kill them, it's war.

It's Britain, they tell you how it's going to be, citizens carry on grumbling about it, but live with it anyway...I don't miss the government back home.

It's always been like that. If you disagree with your neighbor and kill him, it's murder. If your government disagree with another country and kill them, it's war.

I just call it him having an accident. He just happen to trip and fall breaking his neck

I think the message is the same old message. Government can do it because we authorize them to do it in our name.

It's the same as law enforcement. I can't hang a guy for killing my brother. But the law can capture, convict, sentence, and execute him in my name. I think that is the lesson you need to be learning.

As for if your government is doing it for the right reasons, that's a whole different question.

So again a government is caught doing illegal things without any proof of illegal activity. Keep it up US and Britain, you continue to oppress people and they will fight back harder and harder harder.

I don't think you have a clue what oppression is my friend. If you were truly oppressed, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

This is the way it always is, the government can kick down your door and lock you in a cell until they put you on trial before a government judge.

Now, try going to your state capital, putting your governor in cuffs and dragging him away and locking him in your basement with the promise of a trial and see what the results are.

Exactly!

It makes sense to do it immediately before a raid at least though.... You know, shutting off a hacker's internet communication so he cannot warn others...then the FBI raids the house in person... All anonymous knows is someone went offline and never came back online. It could have been a car accident, grounded by mom/dad :p, internet outage...didn't play his monthly isp bill, etc.

I might help prevent other anonymous members who might think they are getting arrested from scrubbing their machines following one member going offline. Thus eliminating some of the government's case.

I don't think you have a clue what oppression is my friend. If you were truly oppressed, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Yes indeed, I was going to say "After you old chap!"

Talk the talk....

Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Seriously though. I don't have any sympathy for anon. If you can't take the heat, don't step into the kitchen.

The UK gov'n is allowed to have nuclear weapons, tanks, rockets... Things citizens cannot
Whats your point?

I can actually confirm we are allowed to own tanks and rockets in the UK.

Thank You.

Its murder because you have the rule of law which in most case should protect you from any wrongdoing that would justify such an act except where law enforcement cannot practically protect you. For that there is 'self-defence' if you're allowed to practice it.

Countries don't have a law enforcement system you could remotely consider unbiased. As such, its a free for all and sometime in a free for all scenario a little killing is necessary.

I am confused here, since when did the government lose its authority? When parents punish their kids for doing things the parents are doing, do you use the same stupid argument? You give people authority above you to handle this actions. You entrust the power to them. That is what government is about. If you take that power away from government and give it to everyone, you have anarchy.

Its murder because you have the rule of law which in most case should protect you from any wrongdoing that would justify such an act except where law enforcement cannot practically protect you. For that there is 'self-defence' if you're allowed to practice it.

Countries don't have a law enforcement system you could remotely consider unbiased. As such, its a free for all and sometime in a free for all scenario a little killing is necessary.

killing is never necessary.

ho boy. I meant ANYONE killing or harming or maiming or causing problems should not be necessary. I'm not just talking about the "good guys". Besides, I was discussing this with the guy who was talking about countries going after another country killing in the name of justice or whatnot. Killing is never necessary.

The United States is so bloodthirsty, I swear.

Azhar, you got funny ideas man. Why would you claim the US is so bloodthirsty when there are so many better examples out there to point out?

Countries usually don't go after each other over "Justice". It's usually much simpler and is just about money. Resources, Fishing Rights, trade routes, it still boils down to money. But money is important, wealth can ensure prosperity for a country's people. It's a dog eat dog world my friend, always has been, probably always will be. Things would really have to change to make it otherwise. If you have some idealistic fantasy view that's different then perhaps you are fortunate enough that you can afford to have an inaccurate view of the world and what makes it tic. But it won't change the world and the way it is.

Azhar, you got funny ideas man. Why would you claim the US is so bloodthirsty when there are so many better examples out there to point out?

Countries usually don't go after each other over "Justice". It's usually much simpler and is just about money. Resources, Fishing Rights, trade routes, it still boils down to money. But money is important, wealth can ensure prosperity for a country's people. It's a dog eat dog world my friend, always has been, probably always will be. Things would really have to change to make it otherwise. If you have some idealistic fantasy view that's different then perhaps you are fortunate enough that you can afford to have an inaccurate view of the world and what makes it tic. But it won't change the world and the way it is.

Can't wait until the United Federations of Planet get formed so we can do away with money as we know it :-P

is it? When's the last time we weren't in a war with another country?

You mean when was the last time we were actually at war with another country. We haven't declared actual war against another nation in a long long time.

is it? When's the last time we weren't in a war with another country?

Plenty of other wars going on the US isn't part of, or don't you pay attention to those?

love it how some people can only look through a window from one side.

Can't wait until the United Federations of Planet get formed so we can do away with money as we know it :-P

Why, you think money is the actual root of the problem? It isn't. Money is the construct developed to measure and value product. that product can be labor, goods, and items of less tangible value, like a +10 Sword of Devouring. But money is not the root of the problem.

the root of the problem is inside all of us. Need, security, greed, want, desire, fame, etc. The problems is people, it's us and what we are. Now don't read me on as a religious zealot, but at least several centuries have been slipping on by and since the beginning of the written word man has recorded this basic concept countless times and still we don't want to accept what we are and that we have not changed a bit.

A scientific mind has no problem seeing evolution in so many things but where is evolution in the behavior of human kind? Is it that evolution is bullshit? or is it that man, much like the shark, hasn't needed to evolve, that these terrible traits of ours actually contribute to our survival as a species?

Maybe religion does have something positive to add here, that if man isn't ever going to become better, that at least some brotherly restraint on our baser motivations can do some good. Maybe religion doesn't have to be real to be of use.

You mean when was the last time we were actually at war with another country. We haven't declared actual war against another nation in a long long time.

We haven't truly waged war against any other country in along time. Maybe some people want to put a war label on something that's closer to a police action or humanitarian effort but it doesn't make it into a real war just because there is some fighting and some killing and dying going on.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds:
I start fightin' a war, I guarantee, you'll see somethin' new.

Back