Blizzard is Hiring

HardOCP News

[H] News
Time to dust of the old résumé, Blizzard is hiring again!

If you’re a professional who wants to work with a passionate, creative team on some of the most critically acclaimed game universes in entertainment -- Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo -- and help us take our games even further, we want to hear from you. We think you’ll like it here.
  • Associate User Interface Artist
  • Lead Software Engineer, Server
  • Senior Software Engineer, Server
  • User Interface Artist

I wont say how I know but if working among 90% humorless introverted nerds are your thing, go for it.

I think Riot Games would be helluva lot more fun to work for.

I wont say how I know but if working among 90% humorless introverted nerds are your thing, go for it.

hm? Actually the word is that working for Blizz is a lot of fun and a lot of the employees are nice and fun as well.

I think it'd be way too cold to work for Blizzard and it'd be annoying to have to wear a coat during the summer time. Now a Dairy Queen Blizzard would be awesome, but not right now, it's kind of early and I have a hungry cat to feed.

I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this.

They ask for people interested in lead and senior positions for software engineering, specifically for the server end. The requirements themselves are ridiculous but when you consider who is actually qualified for these positions - that is, people who have had experience in those roles - the result is mostly people who have coded for failed MMO's. I can't even name one that hasn't launched without issues.

Let's even talk SimCity here...a game where demand was known (via pre-sales) and yet they weren't even remotely close to fulfilling it. The reality is we have the technology available - the cloud - which should enable dynamic servicing. The parent company doesn't give a shit about that. They want to maximize returns...hell, I've voted Republican and I feel bad saying that, but it's true...and that doesn't have much to do with exploring options. They want someone already embedded within that system.

"We think you'll like it here." Compared to what, exactly? The burnout rate in the programming industry is notoriously high, and within the gaming industry it is even worse. You could offer a continental breakfast with non-rancid pork and it would be a step up from most. I hate, and I mean hate, to be that guy who talks contrary, but seriously...who in the heck working in the industry really reads this without choking on their morning coffee? Wow.

Good luck with that. Unless you "know a guy who knows a guy" I think it's nigh impossible to get a job at a developer like Blizzard, even if you have an extensive work history that speaks for itself.

No way in hell would I go to work anywhere in Cali. Too damn expensive, it would be financial suicide for me at my age. That's a younger man's move there.

Now I'd go to Austin. Let's see, Who was it that developed and marketed the Warhammer games? THQ, that was the guys. I applied with them a couple years ago, then they went bust or something. In hindsight I think it worked out for me just fine ;)

Maybe you just didn't get there level of humor.

Which was none. That was the point. You never saw a bigger group that just sticks to themselves, head down. Exceptions here and there but by and large is the case.

Which was none. That was the point. You never saw a bigger group that just sticks to themselves, head down. Exceptions here and there but by and large is the case.

That's what happens when you talk about things that aren't interesting to that kind of person. I'm sure if you talked about Starcraft or WoW or War3 or any other Blizzard game, the Blizzard employees might open up.

In fairness BZ does profit sharing with employees so after a big release things can look pretty good.

Friend of mine moved from new york to cali to work at blizzard, says he has a blast working there. Had tons of neat stories.

Back