Google Ordered To Move 'Mystery' Barge

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently California state officials aren't too happy about Google's mystery barge. According to the article, the search giant failed to get the required permits to build the barge so the state has given them the boot. Google doing whatever it wants? Say it isn't so. :rolleyes:

The notice came after the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission investigated numerous complaints about the construction of the floating, four-story building, commission executive director Larry Goldzband said.

Too bad they didn't sink the damn thing. Would have been hilarious.

It carries unlawful belligerents below decks to an uncharted station in the Pacific/Indian, a la DXHR.

Deus-Ex-HR-Cargo-Ship.jpg

Again with the permits. It's getting to the point where a man can't build hisself an ark without armed intervention of conservation and development commissars.

Again with the permits. It's getting to the point where a man can't build hisself an ark without armed intervention of conservation and development commissars.

That's like the story I heard of a guy in Oregon who had land. He built a pond to collect water and whatever agency told him he had to have a permit to collect the water. Imagine that, a permit to collect the water falling out of the sky. Amazing.

That's like the story I heard of a guy in Oregon who had land. He built a pond to collect water and whatever agency told him he had to have a permit to collect the water. Imagine that, a permit to collect the water falling out of the sky. Amazing.
Don't get caught!

It appears that Google isn't the source of the problem--unless I misunderstood, Google contracted with the city of SF (and the Treasure Island Development Authority) to pay for the dock area and construct their vessel. But it's the responsibility of the two entities to make sure appropriate permits are filed. Looks like it's the city of SF and TIDA that are at fault. I think the permits are relevant--the area being used for construction is not zoned for construction of vessels (to my understanding, at least). I don't know why that is, but I assume there are valid reasons, much like on solid ground.

Good that they have to move it. Having a giant floating spy box out there messes up the view. Can't they be all lurky and creepy on the internet and leave the real world alone?

While I abhor a lot of the permits, there is a lot that goes into parking a freaking 4 story barge at a dock. You have the basic sewage, freshwater, electrical and miscellaneous stuff. Then you have water way access, obstruction issues and a lot of other stuff. I don't know how much time you have spent in ports, but it can be freaking chaos out there, because there isn't that much space. Chances are Google will get this all resolved, but contrary to what the news has been reporting this isn't a sudden surprise permit issue, people have been talking about this for months and Google made no effort to handle this on their own.

but contrary to what the news has been reporting this isn't a sudden surprise permit issue, people have been talking about this for months and Google made no effort to handle this on their own.

I think that's because--unless I read the source wrong--it's the duty of the city of SF and TIDA to file the proper permits. From what's been written, it doesn't appear that Google was the responsible party for not filing the permits. However, at the very least, you'd think they would want to follow up on their construction investment a bit closer.

Back