Steam Music Beta Nears

HardOCP News

[H] News
More information on the upcoming Steam Music Beta has hit the net today. Head on over to Blue's for all the news. ;)

Here's an outline of what the beta will involve: "With this beta, we’re getting started with what we believe to be the most fundamental set of features to offer a great music listening experience within Steam. As always, our next steps for the feature will be influenced by your beta feedback, so please share your feature requests, thoughts, and experiences in the music discussions. Happy listening!"

Valve, this isn't Half Life 3. Can you hold off on the non-gaming functionality until you release the one product your base actually wants? That is all. Thank you.

They might be better served to add proper voice comparable to teamspeak or mumble. Steam's current voice chat is a joke.

This news was easy to anticipate. I'm sure they'll have more updates for playing videos as well.

What I really hope is that they also consider getting into the business of selling music and videos.

This news was easy to anticipate. I'm sure they'll have more updates for playing videos as well.

What I really hope is that they also consider getting into the business of selling music and videos.

Or at least even tie into my ultraviolet collection like flixster or vudu does, that'd be nice.

Valve, this isn't Half Life 3. Can you hold off on the non-gaming functionality until you release the one product your base actually wants? That is all. Thank you.

More than one person works there. THis means they're able to work on multiple things at the same time. Its a concept called parallel tasking.

I was actually hoping this meant they were going to open a game soundtrack part of their store ... I love game soundtracks but they can be hard to get for certain games or they are buried in packages as extras ... I would love for Steam to add portions of their stores for soundtracks, books, and other game tie-ins (as stand alone items)

I was actually hoping this meant they were going to open a game soundtrack part of their store ... I love game soundtracks but they can be hard to get for certain games or they are buried in packages as extras ... I would love for Steam to add portions of their stores for soundtracks, books, and other game tie-ins (as stand alone items)

+1 - This, absolutely this. I highly dislike the current method for acquiring extras for games & the fact that soundtracks are considered DLC addons rather than being sold on their own.

If this service allows you to sell or pass on your music collection in the event of death, then I might use it.
iTunes etc music collections expire when you do.
I prefer to buy disks.

What would be interesting is if Steam would show statistics for the most popular songs played, so I could confirm that people really do love shitty music.

If this service allows you to sell or pass on your music collection in the event of death, then I might use it.
iTunes etc music collections expire when you do.
I prefer to buy disks.

'discs'

More than one person works there. THis means they're able to work on multiple things at the same time. Its a concept called parallel tasking.

And how is that working for them? When was Half Life 2 Ep. 2 released? When was Episode 3 originally promised? Have they mentioned anything regarding the game? I would say it would actually be in their best interest to satisfy the gamers that helped them get to where they are now. I just want something from them stating, it is still in the pipeline or it isn't likely to be completed.

On a side note, soundtracks would be great, but I am not sure how well that is going to work for them when GOG gives them to you for free with most of the games they sell.

I have always associated the word "disc" with optical storage mediums and "disk" with magnetic storage mediums...

I think that "disc" is also trademarked but "disk" is not ... so they would generally prefer the use of "disc" since that is protected ;)

I think that "disc" is also trademarked but "disk" is not ... so they would generally prefer the use of "disc" since that is protected ;)
My understanding is that the trademark for "compact disc" only includes design logos because it contains common words, but I could be wrong. Afterall, "candy" was recently trademarked for use in video games...

Back