I Need Your Old Computer Hardware!

HardOCP News

[H] News
The last time we built computers to donate to school children, a LOT of you guys wanted to donate to the cause but, at that time, companies like Corsair, Western Digital, ASUS, Thermaltake, NVIDIA, AMD, Kingston, MSI, and XFX had already helped us reach our goal (in record time).

So, this time around, I want to give everyone the opportunity to help by donating their old computer hardware. I know that a lot of upgrades took place over the holidays and that means there is going to be a lot of "old" PC parts lying around collecting dust. Since the parts you and I consider "old" are 100x better than what most people are using now, I figured this would be a great way to put those "old" parts to good use! We are gathering up all the stuff we have around here too but we can use your old hardware too!

We plan on putting together as many computers as possible with all the parts that are donated so that we can give them to those folks that are truly in need. So, with that in mind, I can use every working motherboard, processor, graphics card, memory, hard drive, power supply and optical drive you have. I have plenty of cases here, I just need more hardware to fill em' up!

Send me an e-mail HERE for information on where to send your used computer hardware.

SHIPPING ADDRESS IS: Steven Lynch 284C E. Lake Mead PKWY #269 Henderson, NV 89015

Last edited:
this is cool! i will find some parts. question though: if we have, say, a motherboard that may or may not be borked, should i send it or do you only want tested working parts? i dont have a cpu to test it with.

They're doing one of those "electronics recycling" things near me on Saturday. I always wondered if people would give away old systems if they would be used for charity, instead of giving it to bulk recyclers doing it for reclamation at dollars per ton.

this is cool! i will find some parts. question though: if we have, say, a motherboard that may or may not be borked, should i send it or do you only want tested working parts? i dont have a cpu to test it with.

Just put a sticky note on it that says "needs testing" and we'll take care of it ;)

I have tons of good working parts. Lots of cpu's and ram ddr2+3. Email sent.

I have a bunch of random parts, a few PCs and old laptops that I can donate. Are you guys still in Dallas? If so I would prefer to drop them off to you if possible.

What about computer accessories?

I work for www.plugable.com and we have TONS of spares that could potentially be donated.

PM me for direct email contact to my Plugable email.

What kind of lower limit on "old" do you have? Just a general baseline would be nice, like will you want a C2D e6300? or is the AMD-486-66dx2 a bit too old? :D

I have some GPUs from like seven or eight years ago and a motherboard or two that may be around that age as well.

PM me for direct email contact to my Plugable email.

Will do for sure!

I have a bunch of random parts, a few PCs and old laptops that I can donate. Are you guys still in Dallas? If so I would prefer to drop them off to you if possible.

We can use everything you want to get rid of. I'm in Vegas though.

I have tons of good working parts. Lots of cpu's and ram ddr2+3. Email sent.

Good man, I will reply to everyone tonight after work or in the A.M. :)

What kind of lower limit on "old" do you have? Just a general baseline would be nice, like will you want a C2D e6300? or is the AMD-486-66dx2 a bit too old? :D.

C2D e6300 and the likes would be great because it will no doubt mate up with other parts that come in. Not sure how much 486 stuff we'll be getting in ;)

The last sentence in the post says "unused" hardware. Shouldn't that say "used?" It makes it sound like you're only interested in new stuff. =)

I have quite a bit of stuff laying around. I see what I can come up with.

Any limits on age/type? I have a LGA775 mobo, with ram and an e4400 cpu (I think) sitting around.

(Damn no edit and not RTFT. I see the response above. Email inc.

I don't have any old equipment, but if you need volunteers to help assemble and test I would gladly donate my time.

I will post an address for you guys later tonight. It would seem that our post office will not take all the packages so I am getting a different box this afternoon.

I will post the addy here and send it out in an e-mail to everyone that has responded already.

:)

I would gladly send you some stuff but on the other hand I don't want to pay to ship it... catch 22.

I have some old P4 systems I'm using as coffee tables but I can't afford a real coffee table right now so they're kinda needed.

I have some cases, but wondering if they are too cost prohibitive to ship and not worth the cash to ship to you.

I have some cases, but wondering if they are too cost prohibitive to ship and not worth the cash to ship to you.
What I mean does anyone have an idea how much it would cost. If its like $60, I could probably find a deal on Amazon or Newegg and have it shipped direct for the same price and it would be new with all the bits?

How old are we talking here?

I think most of the old stuff I have kicking around is a little TOO old for these purposes.

I DO have two PCI Voodoo 3 2000's and one Voodoo 5 kicking around :p

Cases are too expensive to ship AND, I have a ton of them here already so it doesn't make any sense to have someone spend their hard earned money to ship us a case.

Zarathustra[H];1040584834 said:
I DO have two PCI Voodoo 3 2000's and one Voodoo 5 kicking around :p

Don't get rid of those, those are collectors items (I have two 12mb Voodoo 2 cards in my collection too ;))

They're doing one of those "electronics recycling" things near me on Saturday. I always wondered if people would give away old systems if they would be used for charity, instead of giving it to bulk recyclers doing it for reclamation at dollars per ton.

Well, I don't think I would toss stuff in the recycle if it actually worked. Then again, not many places who would take random working hardware would want to take the time to put it all together into a working machine, I'm guessing.

Don't get rid of those, those are collectors items (I have two 12mb Voodoo 2 cards in my collection too ;))

Haha, yeah. But they are just gathering dust in a box. Maybe there are collectors who will enjoy them more than I.

My 6MB Canopus Pure 3D voodoo 1boatd I'm keeping though :)

Zarathustra[H];1040585643 said:
Haha, yeah. But they are just gathering dust in a box. Maybe there are collectors who will enjoy them more than I.

My 6MB Canopus Pure 3D voodoo 1boatd I'm keeping though :)

Sell them on ebay. Sold my Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for $45 a month ago. I kinda miss it since it was a classic, but it was just sitting there gathering dust too.

What kind of parts are needed/acceptable? How old is not too old?

How is shipping handled (sorry to ask - while rich in parts I am poor in cash)

Steve, I live in Vegas and I can donate some time if you need help. I have probably 4 full computers to donate.

I would gladly send you some stuff but on the other hand I don't want to pay to ship it... catch 22.
I am going to shove all I can in a USPS Flat Rate box. Most of it is going to be PATA hard drives and DDR1,2,3 memory. So whatever fits will ship for a reasonable price.

Back