Amazon Launching A $300 Android Console This Year?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh look, it's this rumor again. Does anyone think Amazon is really going to launch an Android game console?

Running the Android operating system, the system will compete directly with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, offering the streaming and download of games, music, movies and TV content, multiple sources have told VG247.

If SteamOS can get AAA support then there might be worthwhile content. Until then it'll just be another plastic box to play Candy Crush on.

no...... no........ and NO!

No matter what company releases a Android console I would never buy one nor recommend a game console that would force a user to upgrade every year due to hardware incapability.

Initial reaction: no way.

Second thought: This is a way for Amazon to get Prime streaming into living rooms. Lots of TVs and BluRay players have Netflix streaming apps - how many have Amazon streaming?

Second thought: This is a way for Amazon to get Prime streaming into living rooms. Lots of TVs and BluRay players have Netflix streaming apps - how many have Amazon streaming?

the bluray player i set up for my parents have it. the ps3 i have also has a amazon prime app. I'm pretty sure the 360 has it as well, so i'm pretty sure there are plenty of devices out there that can stream prim to the living room

I think there is a bigger potential for Apple in this market (if they could upgrade Apple TV some more) ... but this would give Amazon a nice beach head and might improve the overall quality of Android games (Android tablet games are not at the same level as iPad games ... in my opinion ... but with enough users this could definitely jump start them some)

a cheap streaming Set Top Box with limited gaming (Roku style) is more likely. next AppleTV is also rumored same

To make this successful, Amazon needs to make it launch and run their application fast. I've got Prime Instant Video and all the devices I have with it (2 Blu-ray players and a Wii) run dogshit slow. Even pressing the arrow buttons to navigate around feels like I'm operating a TRS-80 at half the clock speed.

Nearly every app driven home theater device has an Amazon Prime App available to it. They have a list of all the devices that are compatible, which is a substantial amount. But maybe they want a first party solution?

And why do we need one more Android gaming console? Android is great for gaming on the go, but console?

To make this successful, Amazon needs to make it launch and run their application fast. I've got Prime Instant Video and all the devices I have with it (2 Blu-ray players and a Wii) run dogshit slow. Even pressing the arrow buttons to navigate around feels like I'm operating a TRS-80 at half the clock speed.

No problem on my Kindle Fire HDX.

a cheap streaming Set Top Box with limited gaming (Roku style) is more likely. next AppleTV is also rumored same

I heard Amazon was probing the STB market too. Don't think there's room in the market considering Roku and AppleTV (Actually thought it was more likely that Amazon would buy Roku)

Still think Amazon will launch a phone first.

Honestly this is a stupid rumor. Why would anyone even think about believing this when the one android "console" the Ouya failed miserably at $99?

Stupid media hyped bullshit. People didn't want a $99 console to play phone games, they certainly don't want a $300 one. I am pretty sure Amazon knows this as well.

Honestly this is a stupid rumor. Why would anyone even think about believing this when the one android "console" the Ouya failed miserably at $99?

Stupid media hyped bullshit. People didn't want a $99 console to play phone games, they certainly don't want a $300 one. I am pretty sure Amazon knows this as well.

Except Amazon has more things to sweeten the pot than Ouya did ... they operate their own store (so they could do a free app of the month or other promotional activities) ... they used the Kindle to push their eBook business so they could use this to push their app store ... they could include built in subscriptions to their other services (like Prime) ... they could include tie-ins to other services they own (like Audible)

That said, I agree the $300 price tag seems out of whack with reality and with previous Amazon activities ... the only way I could imagine a $300 price is for a fully functional DVR or other full featured STB ... if they want to have primarily a gaming/streaming console then I would expect something more in the $199 price (at the most)

The Ouya's not bad, i actually bought it BECAUSE of the limited graphics. When you can't sell on graphics alone you have to make game play matter. And the Ouya has some back to basic good game play.

But overall, yes it's not a hot cake. Having cross compatibily with Xbox and ps3 controllers is an awsome feature you don't see. Saved me money.

No, Amazon is not going to launch a $300 game console.

If stupid made up rumors are the game, I could possibly imagine Amazon dipping its toes into the handheld market, via a reduced size (mayhaps 4"-5" LCD) Kindle Fire with built in gaming controls. But that would likely fail and I don't think Bezos is an idiot.

Not interested. Whatever hardware Amazon produces always reeks of cheapness.

Another Android "console"?

Come on Amazon. Do we really need another Kindle "fire"?

Take this investment and dump into another PR stunt like that drone bullshit. Seemed the media bit right onto that nonsense.

What a rip-off! For $300 you can buy a high end tablet and plug it into your TV. Amazon needs to get their head out of their ass, nobody wants their overpriced Fire Phone and nobody will want this either. Just stick to undecutting brick and mortar stores.

a bit of a thread necro... did they ever put out a game console, or did this turn into Fire TV?

Fire TV. I love mine, but I seldom use it for gaming. It has only 8GB (5GB usable) and the controller is $40 extra. It really needs at least 16GB or some external storage for gaming IMO.

The FTV won some fans in the HTPC crowd. The FTV is reportedly an excellent XBMC platform. (but you'll need to root or sideload the app)

Fire TV. I love mine, but I seldom use it for gaming. It has only 8GB (5GB usable) and the controller is $40 extra. It really needs at least 16GB or some external storage for gaming IMO.

The FTV won some fans in the HTPC crowd. The FTV is reportedly an excellent XBMC platform. (but you'll need to root or sideload the app)

Best streamer I've ever purchased. XBMC 13.2 run beautifully on it!

Back