Bethesda Announces Star Cast for The Elder Scrolls Online

So a bunch of people from the Underworld movies is considered a star cast now?

I can't help but be afraid that having a bunch of money spent to hire hollywood voice acting makes me deathly afraid the rest of the game will suck.

I cannot disagree with the voice casting of Bethesda games going as far back as Oblivion, through all the Fallout Series and now Skyrim. They do a good round up (especially getting a lot of the Star Trek folks involved) . . .but as for the game itself . . .we will have to see. I for one have no problem if it is set graphically just like Skyrim but the play mechanics is what I am worried about. I don't know how mistakes like broken quests in Skyrim single player will translate in the online version- hopefully not making it unplayable or crash.

Knowing Bethesda, it will be filled with bugs and might even scrap a few saved character because of them. Been burn once (actually twice) and will never touch a product of them again (sadly because they make some of the best in the genre).

If they had any sense, they'd only voice certain key interactions, not *all* of them. No matter how much the actors try (especially when they're regular actors instead of dedicated voice actors), we're going to come to recognize their voices when there are a lot more NPCs than VAs. How many NPCs do you want to listen to sounding almost identical? For me, not many.

These are the same people behind Rage? Xenimax? Or whatever they are called.

Yeah, I'm also worried about this game. I swear to god if I get in and they start force feeding my face pay content, gems or points or whatever it is you have to buy to have nice shit .. I will fucking lose my mind.

In fact, I better go and research this now so I can get my mind right on what this game is actually going to bed.

These are the same people behind Rage? Xenimax? Or whatever they are called.

Yeah, I'm also worried about this game. I swear to god if I get in and they start force feeding my face pay content, gems or points or whatever it is you have to buy to have nice shit .. I will fucking lose my mind.

In fact, I better go and research this now so I can get my mind right on what this game is actually going to bed.

This is not a pay for items game. At least not now. Its a monthly sub game like wow. Ive played all the beta and it seems ok. I think I'm getting old. played wow the day of release up until 6 months ago. I disliked it more and more with each expansion. Vanilla wow was great and now its shit and has been for years. It may be that I'm tired of the mmo style games and this game has not interested me much as I never get far in the beta. I will buy it and see how it goes. Plays like Skyrim and graphics are pretty good for an mmo almost like skyrim.

What makes the Elder Scrolls such a great series of games is the one thing that is never going to make it into the MMO, the user created mods, patches and content.
Every day new weapons, areas, quests, skeletons, animations, spells, armor, jewelry, and engines are made to enhance the game and we users reap the benefits of that content making the Elder Scrolls quite possibly the most epic games ever made.
The modders were the first to get rid of the loading bars, make the maps look incredible, enhance the user interface, retool the skill progression, change the leveling system, make ultra realistic water...
And with SKSE the sky is the limit.
Too bad we're never going to get that same content or even nearly that same amount of content in the MMO.

Ask anyone who played SWTOR. Voice acting can't save an MMO from being terrible.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the development of Elder Scrolls Online. ESO is not being developed by Bethesda, Bethesda handed development over to ZeniMax Online Studios, a company with past experience in developing MMOs. As someone who has played the beta, I wasn't impressed, the game play was cludgy and derivative of other MMOs, while not quite capturing what makes those games fun to play for hours on end. Having played a lot of betas, I can't see how ESO will be ready by the posted ship date. I will probably bug my brother to jump in on the next beta weekend and give me a status update, but I have no interest in messing around with that POS unless something drastic has changed.

Ask anyone who played SWTOR. Voice acting can't save an MMO from being terrible.

SWTOR wasn't ruined due the Voice acting, they just had a terriblely low amount of content and what little they had was buggy. The single player story lines were the only thing that was fun about the damn game but that didn't make for a great MMO in my opinion.

That wasn't the only game to do expensive voice acting and do such a terrible job everywhere else. The Matrix Online I heard was pretty good :D

I once decided that paying the monthly sub wasn't worth it, but now that I know the cast is bigtime then I'll pay the sub after all. :p

SWTOR wasn't ruined due the Voice acting, they just had a terriblely low amount of content and what little they had was buggy. The single player story lines were the only thing that was fun about the damn game but that didn't make for a great MMO in my opinion.

That wasn't the only game to do expensive voice acting and do such a terrible job everywhere else. The Matrix Online I heard was pretty good :D

I'm not saying the voice acting is what ruined SWTOR. It was the lack of content, as you said, among other things. The voice acting was actually good. What I was saying is that good voice acting won't save an otherwise bad game. I say this because word of mouth seems to indicate that ESO is a bad game.

I'm not saying the voice acting is what ruined SWTOR. It was the lack of content, as you said, among other things. The voice acting was actually good. What I was saying is that good voice acting won't save an otherwise bad game. I say this because word of mouth seems to indicate that ESO is a bad game.

I agree, I have friends who did like the beta, said it n need work but it was overall a good game. Then I have friends who said they would waste anymore time with it. I was never on the fence about it honestly, had little interest in it.

Voice acting is cool and all but outside of single player games it is largely wasted.

Everything I've seen so far with this game doesn't look impressive at all. These games have nearly a 90% failure rate because they don't have the right people, the right goals, the level of passion these games need to make it.

They have to balance the resources in order to turn a profit ( every ones main goal ) and they aren't going to give this game anywhere near the resources it needs. Instead of all those fancy voice actors ... put all that money into content, game refinement, bells and whistles and then guess what, throw more money at polish and shine and content. Will never happened.

This game might do well, but I'm better against it

I've been in the beta. Anybody expecting an Elder Scrolls game will be severely disappointed. They use the TES as the framework for the story, but it doesn't play like any Elder Scrolls you've tried. The combat is abysmal, absolutely mind numbing and clunky. Break from the path and go exploring? Prepare to find 1000 things you can't interact with, and be limited in your adventures. Class choices are bland, and I was very disappointed.

I've sworn off MMOs. They're basically just never-ending DLC packs that sucker you to stay because it's so easy to socialize with other like-minded gamers.

I can't help but be afraid that having a bunch of money spent to hire hollywood voice acting makes me deathly afraid the rest of the game will suck.

I very much preferred Morrowind's text-based dialogue to hearing the same voices over and over again in Oblivion/Skyrim. They should be spending money on writers, not voice talent.

All this "AAA" business is making it more and more likely that the game will be a corporate sell-out moneygrab, designed first and foremost to generate as much money as possible. Like CoD. Like D3.

These morons forget that even the most rabid fan eventually catches on, and that killing their golden goose (fanbase) with terrible, corporate-agenda games is not a sustainable strategy.

The smart strategy is to design the best, most fun, most innovative work-of-art games possible to build up a horde of loyal fans, and keep delivering value to them as priority one. This is how Blizzard got to be so incredibly loved up until the core of Blizzard North was finally forced out by corporate greed and meddling in 2003.

These morons forget that even the most rabid fan eventually catches on, and that killing their golden goose (fanbase) with terrible, corporate-agenda games is not a sustainable strategy.
It sure seems to be. Look at how many people are still buying those corporate-agenda games like CoD and every single EA sports game. People are stupid and they will buy whatever crap advertisers sell to them.

All this "AAA" business is making it more and more likely that the game will be a corporate sell-out moneygrab, designed first and foremost to generate as much money as possible. Like CoD. Like D3.

The smart strategy is to design the best, most fun, most innovative work-of-art games possible to build up a horde of loyal fans, and keep delivering value to them as priority one. This is how Blizzard got to be so incredibly loved up until the core of Blizzard North was finally forced out by corporate greed and meddling in 2003.

At least with D3 and CoD the rabid fansbase like the game for what it is. With this, any rabid fans of TES would be single player fans and modders. By nature, an MMO is two strikes.

I very much preferred Morrowind's text-based dialogue to hearing the same voices over and over again in Oblivion/Skyrim. They should be spending money on writers, not voice talent.

Arrow... to the knee....

I fully agree. Spending 100% of the money that went to voice acting on content development instead would make that game actually successful.

So a bunch of people from the Underworld movies is considered a star cast now?

These people are hardly second rate actors. If you had any culture whatsoever you would know. Have some respect dude.

Back