Gearheads Don't Need Google Glass To Save Us

HardOCP News

[H] News
I believe we said the very same thing yesterday. If you need Google Glass to work on your car, you have no business under the hood.

First off, nobody is saying computers are killing the automotive hobby. Sure, there's plenty of old cranks out there who lament the passing of the carburetor while pounding their fist on a bad O2 sensor housing, but the idea that the average car lover has any beef with computers is crazy.

God I love being [H]ard.
Everyone else is just so... late to the party!

What happens when every component has a chip in it that communicates with a central computer and the only way to communicate with it is some expensive software license?

Maybe they should have focused less about "Saving" us and bringing up the point this could give birth to a new generation of car enthusiasts once they find out its less complicated then they think and aren't quite as much intimidated by it anymore.

That is what a OBDII scanner is for and eventually down the road as cars get even more complicated OBDIII will probably become standard for full diagnostics.

as someone who has spent untold hours working on my car as both a hobby and a practical way to save some money, i love the computers in cars. the old guys can complain all they want, its just another example of people that are too lazy to learn new tech and then complain instead.

only downside is sometimes extra info is required such as wiring schematics, troubleshooting steps, etc. they're not hard to find with google.

generally its plug my OBD2 reader in and get my clues to what is causing the symptoms. simple (well usually simple) process of elimination and i know exactly what the fault is.

as for needing expensive electronics to diagnose these things...speak with your wallet. if people say no to these cars they won't exist for long.

Back