How Google Glass Will Save Car Enthusiasts From Extinction

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you need this level of help, you probably shouldn't be under the hood of your car anyway.

Think about it: instead of paging through a dense, nearly inscrutable service manual written for trained professionals, imagine pointing your smartphone, tablet, or face-computer's camera at the jumble of technology under your hood, and seeing a virtual reality overlay with step-by-step repair instructions. Such a system could remove the biggest hurdle that stops car owners from getting their hands dirty—the fear of irreversibly messing something up.

The problem isn't the complexity of the engines, its the complete and total lack of space provided that we cherished 96 and before.
When you have to jack up the car and remove a tire to change spark plugs and wires, its no longer fun.
Loved my dad's old 76 Corvette Stingray, you could fit bodies around that engine! Just might be the easiest car I ever worked on. Hell my 96 Suburban isn't too bad, just need a 3' stepstool to get to the distributor cap.

What I want is a glass app to do facial recognition against facebook posts. That way I know who the car enthusiasts are, and therefore, who to avoid talking to.

Doodlie Squat I say ! What a laugh! People have had access to service repair manuals in a form we call books since car production first started. Most people never bought a manual or even attempted to even do a simple oil change regularly. Fact is you have people that will work on vehicles and you have those that will not do anything no matter what. This is no way will improve the general public percentage of people that will work on vehicles.

What I want is a glass app to do facial recognition against facebook posts. That way I know who the car enthusiasts are, and therefore, who to avoid talking to.

Car guys can be scary sometimes. I know three of them at work and only one of them is someone I want to avoid all the time. The other two are really nice people.

I've taken my tablet out with stuff to work on my Jeep, Google glass seems like a win.

Also, the link goes to how the author used it, and I loved the mountain bike trip he used it on.

:D

I'd like to see something like this just to fucking put dealerships out of business to money grubbing lying fucks.

I had an issue with a dealership where replacing a screen would have cost like $2000, $1200 for the part and 4+ hours of labor. A little looking, found a used part off a wreck for $150 (actually found LOTS of them, they're not exactly rare), and a youtube video to tell me the order to remove the dashboard panels (since that's the biggest hurdle as each piece holds in another piece), and 10 minutes later my untrained ass completely replaced it.

Torque does a better job then anything on Google Glass. Even though Torque probably would work on Google Glass.

As much as the article wants to ramble about how cars have gotten so complex, they really haven't. Half of it is poor location choices to gain access to broken parts. A Thermostat should be relatively easy to access, and not require the dissemble of the intake manifold. The other half is dealing with lock down electronics. Not everything is OBDII, and therefore you're at the mercy of the dealer. Either that or spend thousands of dollars for a tool that only works for one car.

Awww, did one of the cool kids at school steal your girlfriend with his nice car?

Torque does a better job then anything on Google Glass. Even though Torque probably would work on Google Glass.

As much as the article wants to ramble about how cars have gotten so complex, they really haven't. Half of it is poor location choices to gain access to broken parts. A Thermostat should be relatively easy to access, and not require the dissemble of the intake manifold. The other half is dealing with lock down electronics. Not everything is OBDII, and therefore you're at the mercy of the dealer. Either that or spend thousands of dollars for a tool that only works for one car.
My dad was a GM certified mechanic, so working on cars with him was one of the few things we could do together. Never taught me to throw a ball or play chess, but he drilled it into me the importance of being able to turn a wrench.
Working on cars helps me relax and gets me out of the house, so in retrospect its kind of a blessing.;)

I just love Torque, the cost of the app is worth the access to the Mitchell online database a hundredfold.
Just so long as you have an OBDII bluetooth adapter, its fantastic.
One click data read, click an error code and pull the Mitchell database by model, then lists what could be wrong from most to least likely that causes the code.
You can chart air flow to the engine, voltage to the sensors, engine temperatures, 0-60 speeds, even chart the hp or gas use in real time. Really makes troubleshooting that much easier if you know what you're looking for.
If you're a shade tree mechanic with anything Android with a bluetooth this thing is a godsend.
Makes my inner nerd and carhead both love it.

I am not a mechanic, but with Google Glass I can pretend to be?
This is actually pretty cool, but at the same time I can see it branching out to other things that I might not like as much.

Stuck in an elevator with a pregnant woman giving birth, it's cool, just call her doctor and stream video to him while he talks you through the delivery would prolly be OK. Having your surgeon perform open heart by proxy would not be something I would be appreciative of though.

Google glass has a ton of potential. When I go to China, that language is a PITA. A massive PITA. At least in Europe I can use a set a of symbols I know and least muddle why way through it. Hell I can do that in Africa and South America as well. But the Asian countries just cook my noodle. I don't even try reading anything. I take pictures of places I often go and memorize a few key phrases. However, I have seen a few demo's of glass with Asian languages which are beyond impressive. It opens doors to take solid fundamental knowledge and allow you to do more than you did before. Experts will always be needed...but the average person can be a little bit more than that with it. I can see something like Rosetta stone and books be a solid match as well.

That's alright. They'll already be avoiding the gg wearing facebook enthusiast. Problem solved.

Honestly, I see this as the first step to a Iron Man style build out of working on things. Now if you can connect something like that to the on board PCM to be able to view information in real time as you are under the hood and what not. Cool.

The Tony Stark garage scenes are one of my favs in the movies. I'd be in for buying something like that if it was available using Google Glass. It's really the only reason I'd actually think about getting one. Augmented reality in these situations actually seems cool. Not just playing laser tag with computer generated things in the back yard.

I'd say the biggest hurdle is the freaking proprietary electronic systems interfaces that are needed.

I needed to change the rear brakes on my Volvo, and I found out because they used an electric motor on the caliper for a parking brake with a switch on the dash instead of a lever you pull, the rear pads can't be changed unless you have a special Volvo interface device (which costs over $1k) and a subscription to the service that goes along with the device (which also costs over $1k per year).

WTF, just to change the rear brakes?

Luckily there are chinese knock off devices available from eBay and I got one for less than it would have been for labor on the brakes. Still, a little ridiculous that a simple rear brake job requires such special hardware.

Those adapters are like $15 on Amazon or Ebay. Makes it the best option to do OBDII stuff to a car.

Just watch yourself.
Some of those will short out and take your instrument panel with them.
http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Interface/dp/B006NZTZLQ
Its more expensive, but when your car is powered off, it is. Its small and you can leave it plugged in without fear of breaking it or the OBDII socket, and Since I've got a mount, I just sit down, fire up Torque and go.
I ALWAYS keep it running.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just watch yourself.
Some of those will short out and take your instrument panel with them.
http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Interface/dp/B006NZTZLQ
Its more expensive, but when your car is powered off, it is. Its small and you can leave it plugged in without fear of breaking it or the OBDII socket, and Since I've got a mount, I just sit down, fire up Torque and go.
I ALWAYS keep it running.

There was an awful lot of marketing speak in that product description...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There was an awful lot of marketing speak in that product description...

Look, all you have to know is *Not Compatible with Apple products*
That should make about 90% of the people here want it just by that virtue!
:D

Back