Take a Nostalgic Trip with Operating Systems from the Past

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are like the majority of us here, we grew up with the computer industry and had hands-on experience with the majority of operating systems. Take some time to re-establish yourself with the past and check out the OS emulators running from your web browser.

Some of these emulators offer more functionality than others — none of them are fully fledged OSes running in your browser — but that said, they still provide plenty of entertainment for computing historians.

This was my first operating system:

GEOS-L.jpg

This was my first operating system:
I think my neighbour had that for his C128, or at least something very similiar.

My first OS was the AmigaOS 1.1 (maybe even 1.0 not sure), when my father bought an Amiga 1000 in late 1986.

My first OS was the C64. Then I purchased an Amiga 500 with OS 1.3 and upgraded too 2.04 a year later. I thought that article might be a out OS's, not Macs and Windows. :(

Deskmate from Tandy on my Tandy 2500 SX-20 was my first graphical interface which ran on DOS.

My first OS was DOS then windows 3.0 then 3.1 then NT then 2000 then 95 and 2000 then XP lastly Win 7 I beta tested Win 8 but ill stay with win 7 for now.

I have dabbled with other Os's but stayed with the afore mentioned operating systems.

I'll have to see if you can run this maximized as a prank on a coworker... yo homey, we had to reimage your computer but accidentally used an old image disk. We thought it was weird it was on a 5 1/4" floppy.

C64 in the low 80's. I came across GEOS back in 86 or so. It was the only WYSIWYG word processor for the C64, and at the time it was awesome. To be able to see your fonts and proper formatting was a big deal. I was turning in mediocre school papers done with fancy fonts and such and I'm sure it added a grade letter each time just for presentation! Nowadays... no extra points for fonts.

C64 in the low 80's. I came across GEOS back in 86 or so. It was the only WYSIWYG word processor for the C64, and at the time it was awesome. To be able to see your fonts and proper formatting was a big deal. I was turning in mediocre school papers done with fancy fonts and such and I'm sure it added a grade letter each time just for presentation! Nowadays... no extra points for fonts.

If I could "thumbs up" your post I would. I used to do pretty much the same thing :)

I don't remember my first OS as I was like 5 and it was command line only on a C64 but my first GUI OS was Tabworks. It was a Win 95 clone.

Back