NBC Will Stream Olympics Coverage on Facebook

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Good news/bad news scenario. The good news is if you are already Jonesing for coverage of the Winter Olympics, NBC will stream 1K hours of sports coverage. The bad news is it will be on Facebook exclusively. :D

“All with an eye on driving viewership to our multi-platform coverage, we will use our unique access to all aspects of the Sochi Games to ignite the Olympic conversation and engagement on Facebook.”

NBC is to the Olympics, what EA is to good gaming IP.

They killed it dead. Even if I had a Faceplant account I wouldn't watch it.

My VPN laughs in the facebook of regionalized streaming restrictions.
I'd also like to congratulate NBC on ensuring I will not be viewing any of their advertisements during these Olympics, no facebook + no commercials = win win!

If NBC wanted to drive me to watch their online coverage of the Olympics then they would host it on their own fully functional website.

it's just one huge advertising campaign with a few sport events in between and 100% of the athletes dope anyway. i'd rather waste my time on learning cobol.

If NBC wanted to drive me to watch their online coverage of the Olympics then they would host it on their own fully functional website.

Not only that but you make more money then from ads on your own site that you fully control. Plus while on your site they see other shows that they might not fully know about, go to check it out and watch more of your other shows then. I don't know why they would want to force you to use somebody else's service.

They can't even bother to show the opening ceremony in its entirety, let alone without ridiculously bad commentary.

"Oh look the onstage actor, who is representing blah blah blah btw, is telling us about blah blah blah, in just a few moments we'll be seeing blah blah blah, but first DODGE PRESENTS THE ALL NEW RAM FULLY LOADED"

it's just one huge advertising campaign with a few sport events in between and 100% of the athletes dope anyway. i'd rather waste my time on learning cobol.

Why do you think 100% of the athletes dope? Because a few get caught?

US Olympic coverage is disgusting, doesn't matter what they do.

Biggest problem I had was finding wtf I want to watch. It was like endless searching and I just gave up.

They wouldn't have paid 4.4 billion dollars to the IOC to exclusively air them if they did think they could make a lot of money on the deal. Also the IOC kind of ruined the olympics along with NBC.

Not only that but you make more money then from ads on your own site that you fully control. Plus while on your site they see other shows that they might not fully know about, go to check it out and watch more of your other shows then. I don't know why they would want to force you to use somebody else's service.

It is pretty simple I think. NBC knows that viewership is tanking...and despite their efforts streaming last Olympics...they're trying to find someway to get viewers back to watching their shitty coverage. And rather than fix the root problem, that of their coverage being shitty, they think using a different medium with the same shitty coverage will boost numbers. Ofc, the last Olympics they streamed they locked out everyone who didn't have a paid cable/sat subscription, shooting themselves in their own foot.

I remember last Olympics when the NBC USA commentators were called out for being disruptive in a boxing match ((IIRC) and asked to quiet down or leave by the referee. The NBC assholes responded that they'd rather leave since no Americans made it that far anyway.

Why do you think 100% of the athletes dope? Because a few get caught?

The top-10 general classification placers from each of Lance's TdF's have all been popped for doping. It is pretty damn prolific. Just because people have yet to get caught doesn't mean that even a majority of them are clean.

US Olympic coverage is disgusting, doesn't matter what they do.

Perhaps that's because nobody watches the Olympics like they did back in the day. I know I really don't give a rats arse about it anymore. :eek:

The best non traditional Olympics delivery for NBC was when MSFT did the add-in for Media Center. Lots of content, on a big screen with a great UI.

Facebook? Yeah, because when I think Olympics I think sitting with my face in a laptop or at my desk.

I mean, NBC Olympics coverage is already shit. Now it's Shit*10E666.

The best non traditional Olympics delivery for NBC was when MSFT did the add-in for Media Center. Lots of content, on a big screen with a great UI.

Facebook? Yeah, because when I think Olympics I think sitting with my face in a laptop or at my desk.

I mean, NBC Olympics coverage is already shit. Now it's Shit*10E666.

But ZOMG social media!

Biggest problem I had was finding wtf I want to watch. It was like endless searching and I just gave up.

exactly.. that was what happened to me when I tried to follow the UK ones.
I am sick of the swimming crap.. so many styles is very boring.. I like weight lifting a lot, track also, that weight throwing thing too, maybe boxing.
Guess what? UK had channels for all of it, I mean ALL, ALL free OTA in the UK.
They also had a website where you can click on whatever event was happening at the moment and just watch it.
Yep, I had to mask my IP to get this, otherwise you where just blocked.. and it only worked for so long, then slowed down and whatever so I gave up on that too... I learned about paid VPN services a bit too late unfortunately, I was using some trick I read on some website too many people probably read the same thing.

exactly.. that was what happened to me when I tried to follow the UK ones.
I am sick of the swimming crap.. so many styles is very boring.. I like weight lifting a lot, track also, that weight throwing thing too, maybe boxing.
Guess what? UK had channels for all of it, I mean ALL, ALL free OTA in the UK.
They also had a website where you can click on whatever event was happening at the moment and just watch it.
Yep, I had to mask my IP to get this, otherwise you where just blocked.. and it only worked for so long, then slowed down and whatever so I gave up on that too... I learned about paid VPN services a bit too late unfortunately, I was using some trick I read on some website too many people probably read the same thing.

They have it OTA for free here, problem is that most people don't watch OTA anymore. Don't know how many stations are set to only 1 event, but I know that they at least have a single station that is just the Olympics.

All of the alphabet soup networks are rubbish, with NBC being the absolute bottom of the barrel. I think though, that television in general is absolutely rubbish, not in least part due to the sickeningly annoying assault of advertisements. Not just their duration, but also because they occur within shows themselves with those stupid animations on the borders of the screen. The Olympics could be interesting, but is ruined by horrible broadcasting on the part of NBC because of their exclusivity. At this point I'll more sooner read the results than watch the events.

the really lame part is that NBC isnt even doing any work
all the video feeds from the OBS and NBC just adds there own commentary
HOW FREAKING HARD IS IT TO JUST GIVE THE RAW STREAMS

BBC coverage of the games was far superior to NBC's, but while it is OTA it is a paid for via an annual fee in the UK. NBCs problem is they allow accountants and marketing to control coverage.

NBC broadcast there Digital channel over... you guessed it.. Good old fashion bunny ears.

NBC has been a free channel since forever.. Don't even need the internet to watch there channel.

NBC broadcast there Digital channel over... you guessed it.. Good old fashion bunny ears.

NBC has been a free channel since forever.. Don't even need the internet to watch there channel.

A "free" channel where out of every 10 minute of scheduled programming of Olympics:

6-7 minutes of commercials
2.5-3 minutes of moronic announces doing fluff pieces you don't care about
0.5-1 minutes of actual athletes competing or about to compete.

The coverage is lame. Only select sports are shown.
The last summer Olympic I wanted to watch the Judo and wrestling matches, can't get those. Only field sports are shown.

A "free" channel where out of every 10 minute of scheduled programming of Olympics:

6-7 minutes of commercials
2.5-3 minutes of moronic announces doing fluff pieces you don't care about
0.5-1 minutes of actual athletes competing or about to compete.

Way worse in the Summer Olympics though, many of the track & field events are less than 1 minute. At least in the winter games they typically last longer than a minute.

Makes me wonder though how much of a kickback is NBC getting from Facebook. Why wouldn't they want to control every aspect of it, obviously Facebook is still trying to be relevant which is why I'm sure they are the ones who brokered this deal.

Back