Tesla Recalls More Than 29K Wall Chargers

HardOCP News

[H] News
29,000 Model S chargers recalled? Has Tesla even sold that many Model S cars?

Accordingly, the company has sent a letter (PDF) to the NHTSA announcing a voluntary recall of the 29,222 first-generation adapters that theoretically pose a fire hazard. As before, Tesla stresses that the adapter replacement program is a "precautionary measure."

Tesla stresses that the adapter replacement program is a "precautionary measure."

But if you don't replace it, then we won't pay when your house has a flamable moment.

There's thousands of Teslas driving around San Jose, never mind the rest of the world.

I don't see the wall charger as a significantly damaging event from a PR standpoint. From what I've read they are releasing new software to control the heat output of chargers and mailing out replacement chargers with a thermal fuse.

"Tesla delivered almost 6,900 Model S sedans in the quarter, 20 percent above what the company had forecast, Jerome Guillen, vice president of global sales and service, said at the Detroit auto show."

That's what I meant to highlight w/that link :D

Pretty much a "non event" in my opinion compared to things like seat belt recalls, air conditioner recall that could result in automatic air bad deployment, tire recalls, etc.

If I had the money I'd still buy a Model S without a second thought...

The Tesla Model S is amazing.

I wouldn't buy anything current or past in the GM/Ford/Chrysler stables (at least not of the models marketed in the U.S.) but if I had the money I would buy a Model S in a heartbeat.

It's simply - to me - the only interesting vehicle in the entire history of the U.S. automotive industry.

I'll be buying the <40K model in 2016 or as soon as available. At current electricity costs I'd save $3000/year on fuel alone driving a Tesla. Not to mention I get to drive a sweet sports-car.

That would totally make sense if they sold their car for like $10k new. Right now, the lower energy costs totally don't make up for the difference in price of buying like a used piece of junk economy car for like 3-4k even if you have to take your car to the fixy people to get them to make it feel better when things break because its old.

That would totally make sense if they sold their car for like $10k new. Right now, the lower energy costs totally don't make up for the difference in price of buying like a used piece of junk economy car for like 3-4k even if you have to take your car to the fixy people to get them to make it feel better when things break because its old.

That's because you are comparing apples and oranges.

I recall doing the math (I did NPV cash flows on the cheapest model at launch).

This is from memory as I can't find my spreadsheets.

The base model was $49,995 new after the $7,500 federal credit.

Factoring in fuel savings and auto loan interest rates, I found that the monthly costs would be similar to a $35,000 conventionally powered luxury car.

Savings would likely be even higher due to the fact that it is VERY low maintenance due to having so many fewer moving parts compared to a conventionally powered vehicle.

Now what cars is the Model S competing with when it comes to features, performance, etc?

Mercedes S Class (MSRP $95,900), BMW 7-Series (MSRP $87,300) and Audi A8 (MSRP $78,800)

Keep in mind here that when the Germans say "starting at" they mean it. EVERYTHING is a paid option, while the Model S comes with many more amenities in it's base unoptioned version.

So, $35,000 compared to an average $87,300 sounds like a real bargain to me.

A few things have - however - changed since then. Tesla - I believe - discontinued the base model due to it's range not being popular enough. This leaves the $20,000 more expensive mid battery model at an equivalent cost of $55,000 and the top battery model at $40,000 above base, or ~ $75,000

The top model isn't THAT much cheaper than the competition (but again, remember the Germans tend to be un-optioned at base price, and will cost MUCH more in maintenance once their warranty expires), but then you have the fact that the large battery Tesla Model S outruns a V12 Aston Martin, while having some of the best rigidity and handling in its class, which none of the base model Germans do...

IMHO, the Model S is the holy grail of Luxury sedans, as long as you don't go on long road trips a lot (but Tesla's supercharger stations are taking care of this, as long as you don't mind stopping for a half an hour to charge every 300 miles or so.)

Will it be cheaper to operate than a 1994 Geo Metro XFi or a 1995 Honda Civic VX? Definitely not, but that's not the market segment it is in...

What? Show me a car company producing a reliable NEW car in the 3-4K Price range? I fail to see how this relates at all to my statement. People buying $3-4K used cars are not the intended market for any car manufacturer in the US.

If you are already driving a car in the 30-40K range, a Tesla priced somewhere between $30-40K would be a hot seller. Take into account the $7500 rebate and the fuel costs and suddenly people buying 20K Cars can afford a 30K Tesla.

What? Show me a car company producing a reliable NEW car in the 3-4K Price range? I fail to see how this relates at all to my statement. People buying $3-4K used cars are not the intended market for any car manufacturer in the US.

If you are already driving a car in the 30-40K range, a Tesla priced somewhere between $30-40K would be a hot seller. Take into account the $7500 rebate and the fuel costs and suddenly people buying 20K Cars can afford a 30K Tesla.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to spend very much on a car. It'd be like buying a sports model curling iron or a high performance cup of microwavable rice. I think I'd much rather save the difference in monies and get interest and investment value from it than own something that does exactly the same thing (get me from my home to where I work or to the mall and then back again) for a lot less dollars. I mean, you still have to stop at every single traffic light, wait behind every other car, and you can't go faster than the speed limit without putting innocent people around you in life threatening danger so why even want something that goes fast and costs more when you're not allowed to do it anyhow?

It just doesn't make any sense to me to spend very much on a car. It'd be like buying a sports model curling iron or a high performance cup of microwavable rice. I think I'd much rather save the difference in monies and get interest and investment value from it than own something that does exactly the same thing (get me from my home to where I work or to the mall and then back again) for a lot less dollars. I mean, you still have to stop at every single traffic light, wait behind every other car, and you can't go faster than the speed limit without putting innocent people around you in life threatening danger so why even want something that goes fast and costs more when you're not allowed to do it anyhow?

That is a valid perspective, but not everyone shares it. To you a car is an appliance.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'd wager that to most people on here a car is so much more. Everything matters, from how it feels on the road, to handling characteristics, ergonomic layouts, performance etc, etc. Driving a lesser vehicle can be torture if you are used to something that handles well.

How do you feel about computers? Do you just buy the cheapest laptop at best Buy, or do they matter more to you than that?

Everyone has different interests. Personally, I could never own an economy car. I'd pull my hair out in frustration. Cars and computers matter to me.

And remember... someone has to buy the cars new, so that you can pick a cheap one up used later :p

Ah the good ole I don't want a new car and people are dumb for spending their money argument.

To each his own.

That said, we're discussing Tesla and model price. Having owned shit cars with >100K miles all my like then moving up to a new luxury vehicle I don't plan on going back to the cheap route any time soon.

Myself and hundreds of thousands of people all over the world would love a mid-tier EV luxury/sports car.

I'll even be a nice guy and sell it to you after I hit 150,000+ miles for 5K.

Zarathustra[H];1040548147 said:
That is a valid perspective, but not everyone shares it. To you a car is an appliance.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'd wager that to most people on here a car is so much more. Everything matters, from how it feels on the road, to handling characteristics, ergonomic layouts, performance etc, etc. Driving a lesser vehicle can be torture if you are used to something that handles well.

How do you feel about computers? Do you just buy the cheapest laptop at best Buy, or do they matter more to you than that?

Everyone has different interests. Personally, I could never own an economy car. I'd pull my hair out in frustration. Cars and computers matter to me.

And remember... someone has to buy the cars new, so that you can pick a cheap one up used later :p

I don't think it's fair to compare computers and cars. Computers are basically two orders of magnitude cheaper then cars.

I see families go out and buy $50,000 SUV's that will cost them another $70,000 in gas, insurance, tires and maintenance over their life. These aren't car people. They were brainwashed into thinking they "need" a vehicle like that, and want to "keep up." These families don't make a lot of money, live paycheck to paycheck and have little in savings;
A purchase like that would delay my retirement by 7+ years. 7 years of being a slave to a corporation is not worth that.

On the other hand, my rig is pretty high end. But in the end, with frugal choices (closeout Z87x-UD4H for $55, opportunistic $100 net upgrade from 6970 to 7970, free upgrade from 7970 to R9 290, etc etc,) and in the end this habit costs me probably $300 per year max.

Don't get me wrong. I am a car guy. I have done more work then 99% of people on this forum on cars. I have gutted them, redone entire suspensions, swapped engines with all custom wiring, new driveshaft, rear end. It was a great experience.

But the happiness/cost ratio on "cars" is about as low as it gets for "hobbies" or "enthusiasts". In the end, he is right...You will stop at the same lights, press the same pedals and hear the same sounds.

A friend of mine lost his job recently and I helped him run some numbers on their budget. They discovered that they spend $2000/mo on their cars, between their long commutes, parking, low MPG, high insurance and never ending payments. I spend $170/mo.
Comparing cars, their cars can accelerate a little faster (~12.5 qtr mile vs 15.5 qtr mile = 19% faster), and handle a little better then mine. Mine is a bit safer and can hold more cargo. But both of theirs have built in bluetooth and an LCD screen. Whoopie.

$2000/mo invested in the market is $1.2 million over twenty years. $170/mo is $100,000. Many refuse to accept it, but the difference between a millionaire and broke can be a simple decision.

If you LOOOVE your job, and have the savings, then by all means do something with your money.

Zarathustra[H];1040548147 said:

http://www.cedarpc.com/store_cedarpc/index.php?category=LAP0

Pretty much those people...best place to get a computer evar! The last one I got was $42 including shipping. :D

Anyhow, I'm not really complaining and I do admit that some stuff is worth spending money on like scoopable cat litter when regular non-clumping stuff would work and moist canned kitty food is a lot more healthy for mister fuzzy tail's tummy too. But the difference between kitty chow and buying a car is pretty vast. I mean really, you can totally have a car that catches on fire and burns down your house or garage for a lot less than 40k! This Elmo Munk guy is making a lot of money selling electric burninators.

http://www.cedarpc.com/store_cedarpc/index.php?category=LAP0

Pretty much those people...best place to get a computer evar! The last one I got was $42 including shipping. :D

Anyhow, I'm not really complaining and I do admit that some stuff is worth spending money on like scoopable cat litter when regular non-clumping stuff would work and moist canned kitty food is a lot more healthy for mister fuzzy tail's tummy too. But the difference between kitty chow and buying a car is pretty vast. I mean really, you can totally have a car that catches on fire and burns down your house or garage for a lot less than 40k! This Elmo Munk guy is making a lot of money selling electric burninators.

Clearly you are trolling.

------

I don't believe for a minute that store bought moist cat food is more healthy then dry food for your kitty.

Clearly you are trolling.

------

I don't believe for a minute that store bought moist cat food is more healthy then dry food for your kitty.

I dunno about cats, but for dogs it's the opposite. It degrades their teeth.

I immediantly regret posting this

The vet I take my cat to says that cat anatomy is designed to get most of its moisture from eaten food sources rather than from actual liquid water or milk. The pate style foods, he said, are generally the best way for cats to eat. Dry foods can cause digestive problems and result in plugs in the system because the cat doesn't realize he or she should drink a lot more water to make up for what they're not getting in their meal. My vet really discouraged me from using dry foods and I haven't had hairball problems or a plugged up kitty for years because of that.

So no trolling...though there is a lot of debate about dry vs wet foods on the intertubes, I trust what my vet has to say since it seems to keep my meowing master pleased.

The vet I take my cat to says that cat anatomy is designed to get most of its moisture from eaten food sources rather than from actual liquid water or milk. The pate style foods, he said, are generally the best way for cats to eat. Dry foods can cause digestive problems and result in plugs in the system because the cat doesn't realize he or she should drink a lot more water to make up for what they're not getting in their meal. My vet really discouraged me from using dry foods and I haven't had hairball problems or a plugged up kitty for years because of that.

So no trolling...though there is a lot of debate about dry vs wet foods on the intertubes, I trust what my vet has to say since it seems to keep my meowing master pleased.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just add water to the dry food?

Well, this thread has gone into OT... From Tesla Cars to pet food.

hg9o0Gu.gif

Zarathustra[H];1040547655 said:
Heck, if I had the money I'd by one yesterday
I'd be all over one as well, but they're just too expensive. Couldn't get the payments below $600 a month, and I don't drive far enough to even come CLOSE to offsetting a car payment that large in fuel savings.

If I commuted it'd make sense (I'd be spending $300 a month in gas, then).

Not sure if serious..

MODEL S, BEST SELLING LARGE LUXURY CAR IN AMERICA

Tesla sales beating Mercedes, BMW and Audi

More than 25,000 Model-S on the road

I'll be buying the <40K model in 2016 or as soon as available. At current electricity costs I'd save $3000/year on fuel alone driving a Tesla. Not to mention I get to drive a sweet sports-car.

Yea, for about 100 miles until it runs out of charge or bursts into flames..whichever comes first. :rolleyes:

Nice thing about petrol..My car weighs a fraction what that thing does, cost me a fraction, is faster and refills in about 3 minutes.

Yea, for about 100 miles until it runs out of charge...
EPA certified range on a Tesla S is 265 miles

...or bursts into flames..whichever comes first. :rolleyes:
The only one to burst into flames ran over a truck fender in the middle of the road. The car driving over the u-shaped piece of metal levered it upwards directly into the battery and punctured it.

The car warned the driver of the fault, who then had time to pull over, stop the engine, get out, and wait by the side of the road before battery containment finally failed.

Nice thing about petrol..My car weighs a fraction what that thing does, cost me a fraction, is faster and refills in about 3 minutes.
Let me know how it does when you run over a truck fender :rolleyes:

Yea, for about 100 miles until it runs out of charge or bursts into flames..whichever comes first. :rolleyes:

Faster?

What do you drive?

The Model S has performance that belies the performance models published 0-60 times of 4.2 seconds due to its single gear. It puts down as much torque at 100mph as it does at low speeds due to never having to upshift...

Just look at what to does to the 550hp V12 Aston Martin Rapide S in a straight line. And few - if any - cars its size have its handling due to its amazingly rigid platform.

Not sure if serious..

MODEL S, BEST SELLING LARGE LUXURY CAR IN AMERICA

Tesla sales beating Mercedes, BMW and Audi

More than 25,000 Model-S on the road

Is a sub 40k Tesla going to be a sweet sports car? The Model S is a great looking car, but unless they have at least a 400-500 mile range at 80 MPH, it's not a car for trips over 3 or 4 hours.

For now, I think hybrids make way more sense than pure electric vehicles. Of course if it's just for commuting, then it's a great way to do it...and honestly, if I've got 100k to drop on a car, I'd rather have the model S than a Mercedes.

Back