Carmakers Keep Data On Drivers' Locations

HardOCP News

[H] News
Automakers are keeping track of you? Damn, is there anyone NOT tracking us?

A government report finds that major automakers are keeping information about where drivers have been — collected from onboard navigation systems — for varying lengths of time. Owners of those cars can’t demand that the information be destroyed. And, says the U.S. senator requesting the investigation, that raises questions about driver privacy.

Nope, not even this web site and its advertisers.

I guess the real questions is, what is this data being used for? I trust the [H] but a big fuck you to the NSA, Google, and friends.

No tracking bs or computers in my cars. 1967 corvette, 1970 chevy 4x4 blazer, and 1973 4x4 pu truck.

The data is also sold to the highest bidder in a lot of cases.

Everyone grabs data from things these days. It's just a fact of life in today's age. Either for demographics, information on devices, or for other things. I'd like to think it helps in the future development of things, and I'm sure some of it is used for bad things (sold, tracking individuals, etc.). But, to completely unplug these days takes a lot of planning and research (usually online!).

No tracking bs or computers in my cars. 1967 corvette, 1970 chevy 4x4 blazer, and 1973 4x4 pu truck.

Unless some law enforcement person decides they need to know where you are going and where you've been. Then they stick a GPS tracker to your car (don't even need a court order to do this, they can just do it). We live in an age of NO privacy.

I guess the real questions is, what is this data being used for? I trust the [H] but a big fuck you to the NSA, Google, and friends.

Isnt that the truth.

Maybe we need Kyle to run for president? Steve could be his running mate...

Everyone loves that they can log into their favorite map website and see traffic congestion..

Nobody loves that they have to get that traffic speed/flow data from somewhere..

I don't mind if they grab nonspecific data because looking at traffic flow all over the city and picking the fastest route to an appointment has helped me more than once.

It's as if we are all seen as money dispensaries. :p

The fight for your money is among the strongest of all fights.

dang... Well as long as I don't take my car into the dealer, I Think its SOL. No Onstar or any of that crap.

You trust H but I guess not the Google Ad and tracking servers recording every click you make all over this website..and millions of others?

Not to mention the Amazon content servers. They track us as well.

H has no real control over any of those servers or what they do with the data you create. eg..clicks. H just wants to get paid by Google. Google wants to know everything you do.
I guess blame all the other corporations who pay Google to slam ads in our faces and want to know everything we do.

we will all pay in the end.

And here I thought it was easy to track a driver in a car... they're in the front left seat.

Everyone loves that they can log into their favorite map website and see traffic congestion..

Nobody loves that they have to get that traffic speed/flow data from somewhere..

I don't mind if they grab nonspecific data because looking at traffic flow all over the city and picking the fastest route to an appointment has helped me more than once.

You're comparing GPS on cars to highway sensors and cameras? :rolleyes:

Owners of those cars can’t demand that the information be destroyed.
Ummm I beg to differ watch how easy it is.

I DEMAND YOU DESTROY ANY TRACKING INFORMATION ON ME!!!!!

See, no problem, now whether or not they actually do it is another matter, kind of like Do Not Call lists, yeah you can get on them, but will they really.

Back