Corsair Obsidian 250D Sneak Peek

HardOCP News

[H] News
While we can't divulge any details about Corsair's recently announced Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX chassis at this time, we can share a few pictures of the one we have here in-house. Don't worry, a full evaluation is coming soon. :cool:

Am I the only one that sees this and is disappointed in its size? It looks big enough to be an mATX case.

Corsair seems to be drawing their inspiration from CaseLabs. Just check out their cube-like cases -- for example the S3 mini-ITX. This sorta looks like the poor man's version -- not that that is a bad thing. It's good to have something similar at more affordable prices.

Big fat "meh" to me. I had hoped that by now we wouldn't be seeing badly segmented front panels any longer.

Personally, I kind of like it. I'm not a huge fan of the Prodigy, and this looks to be a similar case more align my personal taste (minus the added size to accommodate an ATX PSU and water cooling).

Looks great, but also looks like it would take up just as much desktop space a a full tower. It appears all the space savings is on hieght.

You have the same four space constraints on desktops these days as you have always had....

Motherboard dimensions.
5.25" bay dimensions (for DVD/Blu-Ray drives).
PCI card height dimension.
Power Supply dimensions

And because almost all parts are made to specific generic standards these things all combine to severely limit how small any non-custom PC can be.

The smallest desktop footprint comes from a "desktop" (as opposed to "tower") style build turned on its side with PSU slot + motherboard length thus setting the height dimension, Motherboard + PCI card height setting width dimension, and depth being set by motherboard width. Such builds are not particularly popular in the enthusiast gaming arena, which probably explains why Corsair didn't make that kind of case in this instance.

What I like about this size/style case is that while it doesn't decrease space used on your desk, it does add functionality in that you can put things on top of it without those things then being entirely out of reach for you. A typical tower on the desktop is about 250 square inches of lost space, this thing will be more like 30 square inches (mostly the area where cables come out in the back) of lost space. That is a huge improvement.

Looks non-silent capable with all those holes

Looks like it's able to easily swallow a lot of rads though. Lots of 540 Air DNA in the 250D

And it really makes me want to see them do an Obsidian quality version of the Carbide 540 Air for proper sized motherboards.

Their full page is up now and it looks great - definitely providing a competing entity for Bitfenix, NCASE, LianLi 3xxVetc... however, I too am disappointed there is no larger mATX version. I have 2 PCs currently on mATX form factor that need new chassis, and I really can't convert to mITX especially for one of them. Overall, I like the 'no compromises" cube case design (though I wish they'd tell you the clearance for CPU cooler height on both this mITX version and any upcoming mATX), as there are far too few of them for mATX and mITX, but I really hope a mATX version is coming soon.

There are a lot of similar cases on the market already...

I was hoping that they would be releasing a case that makes use of a PCI-E riser. I don't care about the height; I want reduced width! A small form factor power supply from Corsair would have been nice as well.

It looks like just another iteration of the ITX cube. I think they should've gone a different way and made something new.

Back