Asrock removes supported CPUs, years after release.

Faethon

[H]ard|Gawd
I must say, i have defended and praised Asrock many times in this forum, but this is a TOTAL disappointment for me and their marketing department. There is NO excuse, to come after more than 1 year after the release of a motherboard and ELIMINATE supported CPUs from the list or modify it.

How the 970 Extreme4 used to be:

302mhoi.png

How it is now:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme4/?cat=CPU

The FX8350 and FX8320 DISAPPEARED and an asterisk appeared in FX8150!

Same for 970 Extreme3:

How it was:
2gx18qa.png

How it is now:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3/?cat=CPU

Gone the FX8350,8320!

And what about the R2.0?

FX8350 and FX8320 exist, but both with asterisk:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3 R2.0/?cat=CPU

My guess is: They 've had several reports of people getting 8 core Visheras, overheating. So they quietly, decided to remove them from the CPU compatibility list and put asterisks on the R2.0 boards, because being too new, they couldn't just make them disappear like with the R1.0 models.

But this isn't how a serious brand does business. Considering when the boards first came out, it's like deceiving marketing. They should have tested the boards, before saying "supports 8-core, 140W CPU". They have no excuse, these are black socket boards. If they say they run 8 core CPUs, FX-8350 and 8320 should be included.

I don't like being cheated by manufacturers and this time i feel like i was cheated. Next time, i don't thinj i will buy Asrock, after 10 years of buying only Asrock.

Shady tactic, Asrock, shame on you...

Kinda sleazy, OTOH running 8 core power vampires on 4+1 boards doesn't seem wise...

That's really shady. Their VRM engineering has always been sub-par. After a few good reviews of late model Asrocks, I decided to try an Asrock, but was stopped by the salesman at the store with a warning "we've had a lot of issues with these Asrock boards, and I wouldn't recommend any Asrock if you are not looking for trouble"...

I just had to replace our ASrock 970 in the family PC because of stability issues, and that was with a 6300! Replaced with a Gigabyte 990FX, running great now. Never again will I be fooled by ASrock.

can't really blame them. that platform is stretched for several generations of CPUs. they never anticipated AMD coming out with such higher wattage CPUs in the same socket, straining their VRMs and cooling solution.

the FX series compatibility should never have been allowed in the first place, should have stopped at Phenoms. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

can't really blame them. that platform is stretched for several generations of CPUs. they never anticipated AMD coming out with such higher wattage CPUs in the same socket, straining their VRMs and cooling solution.

the FX series compatibility should never have been allowed in the first place, should have stopped at Phenoms. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

This.

I'm all for the "little guy" when it comes to CPU's, but AMD has got to get their act together. Pushing out CPU's that are gobbling up 200W of power under load at this stage in the game is getting a bit stupid. I think most of the 970-990 chipsets were designed with 120-130W CPU's in mind. Even my 2 year old Sandy only uses 120W under full load and its clocked at 4.8Ghz.

I've got one phrase for you:

"Specifications subject to change without notice." It is the right of the manufacturer to do so. This little phrase I quoted is all over manuals, boxes, web sites, marketing literature, and so on.

In no way am I defending ASRock. Let me be very clear on that. Their VRD implementation is probably barely within AMD and Intel guidelines on their lower end boards. It's marginal on some other models. As others pointed out we were talking about a 4+1 phase implementation. This isn't exactly ideal for 8 core CPUs with a high power draw. Especially given how cheap and shoddy (I can't even determine the origin of many components on the lower end boards as they are cheap looking and totally unmarked) some of the components are on some ASRock models.

People love the idea of supporting so many CPUs by keeping the same CPU socket forever and six years. The problem with that is that you've got to have support for all those CPUs in UEFI/BIOS. You've got to QVL all those CPUs (which many manufacturers do a lousy job of testing anyway) and you have to make sure a huge range of CPUs works with newer VRM designs.

If ASRock removed support for those CPUs from the motherboard compatibility list for those specific motherboard models it probably means that it was a bad idea to run those CPUs on those boards to begin with.

Stopped at Phenoms? What are you talking about? These are black socket mobos, they clearly state to support 8-core and in the CPU support list 8350 and 8320 were listed since the beginning for more than 1 year. In addition, they all boasted "140W CPU support".
What 8-core did they support? The 8300 came out much later!

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/2011am3+/

^^^^^^ This wasn't made for the Phenoms.

I too agree that 4+1 is bordeline for 8 core, but you can't put in the commerce for more than 1 year a product saying it's made for something and then recall it.

Dan_D said:

"Specifications subject to change without notice." It is the right of the manufacturer to do so. This little phrase I quoted is all over manuals, boxes, web sites, marketing literature, and so on. A seller can put whatever he likes in a contract, including "i can come to your home and take it back". Doesn't mean it's legal. This is what is called "vexatious clause".

In no way am I defending ASRock. Let me be very clear on that. Their VRD implementation is probably barely within AMD and Intel guidelines on their lower end boards. It's marginal on some other models. As others pointed out we were talking about a 4+1 phase implementation. This isn't exactly ideal for 8 core CPUs with a high power draw. Especially given how cheap and shoddy (I can't even determine the origin of many components on the lower end boards as they are cheap looking and totally unmarked) some of the components are on some ASRock models.

People love the idea of supporting so many CPUs by keeping the same CPU socket forever and six years. The problem with that is that you've got to have support for all those CPUs in UEFI/BIOS. You've got to QVL all those CPUs (which many manufacturers do a lousy job of testing anyway) and you have to make sure a huge range of CPUs works with newer VRM designs.

If ASRock removed support for those CPUs from the motherboard compatibility list for those specific motherboard models it probably means that it was a bad idea to run those CPUs on those boards to begin with.

It may be "the manufacturers right to be so". In USA. In EU, it's called "deceiptful pubblicity", but on the sad side, class action is virtually unknown here. If Asrock would be dragged to a EU court about that, you can bet they would be forced to indemnity.

The law about "deceiptful pubblicity" in all EU area, states that any company making pubblicity with certain specs about ANYTHING, must adhere to honour that. It doesn't matter even if it was a typo error or the printing company that printed a voucher made a mistake and instead of 10.000 wrote 100 euros for instance. The customer will pay 100 euros.

Anyway, luckily i run the FX-6300, but i don't like such attitude. If their VRM wasn't up to the task, it was the company's problem to test the board and see whether they could handle 8320/50, BEFORE stating they did and put them in commerce.

Last edited:
This.

I'm all for the "little guy" when it comes to CPU's, but AMD has got to get their act together. Pushing out CPU's that are gobbling up 200W of power under load at this stage in the game is getting a bit stupid. I think most of the 970-990 chipsets were designed with 120-130W CPU's in mind. Even my 2 year old Sandy only uses 120W under full load and its clocked at 4.8Ghz.

Nobody talked about 200W support here. Look at the screenshots! They marketed the boards with 8350/8320 on the list. Heck, they STILL list 8150 on the list! How is 8150 any less power hungry than the 8320??? SIMPLY, it's too late to remove the 8150 without losing face, it's almost out of commerce now, so why lose face over a product that nobody will buy anymore, while it's not too late to remove the 8320/50, hoping that previous customers wouldn't notice.

From the spec sheet:

- Supports 8-Core CPU
- Supports CPU up to 140W

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3/?cat=Specifications

Bulldozer itself, was launched in 2011. And ASrocks comes only NOW and "discovers" that must put an asterisk to the 8150 support?????? (and eliminate any mention to Visheras)

Last edited:

Stopped at Phenoms? What are you talking about? These are black socket mobos, they were made to support FX (the Phenoms were white sockets), they clearly state to support 8-core and in the CPU support list 8350 and 8320 were listed since the beginning for more than 1 year. In addition, they all boasted "140W CPU support".
What 8-core did they support? The 8300 came out much later!

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/2011am3+/

^^^^^^ This wasn't made for the Phenoms.

I too agree that 4+1 is bordeline for 8 core, but you can't put in the commerce for more than 1 year a product saying it's made for something and then recall it.

Dan_D said:

"Specifications subject to change without notice." It is the right of the manufacturer to do so. This little phrase I quoted is all over manuals, boxes, web sites, marketing literature, and so on.

It may be "the manufacturers right to be so". In USA. In EU, it's called "deceiptful pubblicity", but on the sad side, class action is virtually unknown here. If Asrock would be dragged to a EU court about that, you can bet they would be forced to indemnity. A company can write anything in a contract, including "i have the right to take back the board". Doesn't mean it's legal. It would be "vexatious clause".

The law about "deceiptful pubblicity" in all EU area, states that any company making pubblicity with certain specs about ANYTHING, must adhere to honour that. It doesn't matter even if it was a typo error or the printing company that printed a voucher made a mistake and instead of 10.000 wrote 100 euros for instance. The customer will pay 100 euros.

Anyway, luckily i run the FX-6300, but i don't like such attitude. If their VRM wasn't up to the task, it was the company's problem to test the board and see whether they could handle 8320/50, BEFORE stating they did and put them in commerce.

Last edited:
You should buy Asus. I hear they are easy to deal with for RMA's.:rolleyes:

Luckily, i m not in USA, so their RMA can't be that bad. In EU, the reseller is the responsible for the RMA procedure, not the company. The reseller has a finite amount of time, in which he must verify that the part is defective/damaged and substitute or pay you back. So yes, next time, it will be either ASUS or Gigabyte.

P.S.: Another difference with USA, is that in euro area, ANY company, must, per law, give 2 year warranty. Doesn't matter if normally gives 6 months or 1 year or whether inside the package you find a leaflet stating so. It's overriden by EU law, forcing 2 years. For example, in USA Asrcok is 1 year warranty? In EU it's 2. A company can give more than 2 years warranty if wishes so, but not less.

The EU has companies by the scrotum it seems. Here a company can give pretty much as little warranty as they want. 90 days is usually the bare minimum for almost anything. Most of the time electronics are one year from the date of purchase and RMA's are handled by the end user and the manufacturer. The retailer has nothing to do with it. In Taiwan where ASRock is based laws may be even more relaxed than they are here.

The amount of time you spent bitching on all those posts, you could have jumped in a row boat, paddled to China or Taiwan and bought yourself a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard. :D

The EU has companies by the scrotum it seems. Here a company can give pretty much as little warranty as they want. 90 days is usually the bare minimum for almost anything. Most of the time electronics are one year from the date of purchase and RMA's are handled by the end user and the manufacturer. The retailer has nothing to do with it. In Taiwan where ASRock is based laws may be even more relaxed than they are here.

90 days? :eek: In EU, 2 years are minimum for anything you buy, be it a computer, a camera, an oven or a bicycle.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

Pitbully said:
The amount of time you spent bitching on all those posts, you could have jumped in a row boat, paddled to China or Taiwan and bought yourself a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard.

Your comment explains why in USA you get so little warranty time. It's a mentality thing. You 're used to take the abuse and "go buy another one"...

I have 4 AM3+ boards already. If i need another, it will be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

But i don't need one right now, maybe i never will, but this wasn't the point. You know why we got 2 years warranty, while you get 90 days? Cause here, there were massive cross-country protests for years, from consumer unions that bitched about the tricks and practices of the various companies in the way they handled warranty and RMA. Or rather in the ways they were inventing in order to avoid both. Eventually the EU Comission was tired to hear them.

Last edited:
Oh and most retailers will only accept returns within 14-30 days of the purchase date. After that it's between you and the manufacturer. Some items like CPUs and memory modules aren't even returnable at all unless it's actually defective. In which case the store will do an even swap for the product only.

/blah

Your comment explains why in USA you get so little warranty time. It's a mentality thing. You 're used to take the abuse and "go buy another one"...

/blah

Its called capitalism or a free market. You don't like what one guy is selling, go to the next 3 guys down the street.

Its called capitalism or a free market. You don't like what one guy is selling, go to the next 3 guys down the street.

Coincidentally, the proverbial next three guys down the street are probably selling the exact same thing under the exact same conditions

Oh and most retailers will only accept returns within 14-30 days of the purchase date. After that it's between you and the manufacturer. Some items like CPUs and memory modules aren't even returnable at all unless it's actually defective. In which case the store will do an even swap for the product only.

This was the same here in an intermediate period before the 2 year law. The retailer had responsibility for the first 30 days. What happened though, was similar. The retailers were finding ridiculous excuses to refuse taking the product in ("the package is opened", "we don't handle RMA, send it to the company, "oh we don't handle warrany on THESE products"), etc. Basically, with more retailers than not, the only thing working was showing him the membership card of a consumer association and threaten them with legal action through it. But otherwise, the whole situation was so messy that it was a matter of "good heart" of the retailer to honour the 30 days period or not.

So, after more protests, the EU was forced to adopt the "2 years through the retailer" policy. In this, the retailer is legally responsible for the warranty and RMA towards the customer. If the manufacturer company screws up the RMA, then it's legally reposponsible towards the retailer. So it's a chain of responsibility, but now the retailer can't say "it's not my fault, ASUS screwed your RMA". Legally the retailer must refund you and he will get refunded by ASUS. Does this work perfectly? No. You still find retailers that try to find excuses to refuse RMA, counting on the fact that you won't be interested in starting a legal action against them. But, the good thing is that now there is internet, there are "shop rating websites", where users go there and express their opinion about shops, including short comments and RMA is one of the sectors rated. So before buying from a webstore, you first go there and see the rating of "support". If you see low rating, chances are you will have RMA problems. And then if you 're wise enough, you avoid it and if more do the same, said shop will soon shut down. It usually works well. A shop can fool many over a short period of time, but can't fool many over long periods of time (to paraphrase a famous quote).

Pitbully said:

It's called having an economy going on thanks to loans, in your case. There is such a thing called "current account". The US has huge current account deficit. This means, capital from abroads has a net influx in the US (you live using someone else's money). You use this capital to move your economy. It's the opposite of say Germany, which has a huge current account surplus (exporting capital or say, the savings of the Germans). It also explains why in USA you don't have VAT. VAT is a GREAT way to raise quickly a LOT of taxes. It's a french invention really. French love big public sector and welfare, so VAT was an excellent invention to keep funding such a model. But it's not good for an economy geared towards high consumption like the US.

As things are, for your politicians, it's better if you throw away your things all the time and buy new ones, because your deficit running economy is using this model. Up until you are "too big to fail", this works well. If a moment comes that markets will start questioning your capacity to absorb other people's money in loans and pay with printed $ or your biggest creditors (China), build up their own middle class, capable of consuming the chinese products, the US will be in for a hard awakening, cause it will have to somehow bring to zero your current account deficit.

In the meantime, in the rest of the "non american" world, where running huge current account deficits isn't healthy, people will bitch to get respect for their hard earned money.

Last edited:
I'm into this far too late. I bought this mobo with a FX-8350 last week and kinda feel ripped off. Newegg should of had a big asterisk on what the mobo can actually support. I did give it a go and see failures not long into a Prime95 test plus other issues like the PC locking up and rebooting.

I'm going to Microcenter today to buy a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. I'm hoping I can return the ASrock to Newegg.

I'm into this far too late. I bought this mobo with a FX-8350 last week and kinda feel ripped off. Newegg should of had a big asterisk on what the mobo can actually support. I did give it a go and see failures not long into a Prime95 test plus other issues like the PC locking up and rebooting.

I'm going to Microcenter today to buy a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. I'm hoping I can return the ASrock to Newegg.

In my local (italian) fora, there are worse cases. There are people who had bought the board when it first came out, still running a Phenom on it, with the prospect to upgrade later to an octacore. And now they get this "oh sorry, we changed our minds, the board isn't fit for octacores after all, as we were advertizing when you bought it. Sorry". And they can't return the board either now...

I owned a GA-990FXA-UD3 board for a while and it was excellent. I got rid of it after the disappointment of the Bulldozer launch. The only complaint I had was the inability to boot from USB devices, but I heard they fixed that in a later BIOS revision.

I installed the GA-990FXA-UD3 yesterday and it works like a champ! I'll most likely give the ASRock mobo to a coworker who could use it to upgrade his system. He understands it can't support high end AMD CPUs.

I have an ASRock 990FX Extreme3 that has been running a FX-8350 on air with no problems. I noticed the removal of it from the website support list a while back but that hasn't changed anything. I would definitely not recommend trying to push a high OC with this board and an FX-8000 series CPU but keeping it mild the system has been very stable.

Clearly asrock has had issues and they're doing a favor to the consumer by removing the compatibility of these cpus that suck way too much power then they should. Intel using half the power and significantly faster. It's AMD fault not asrock. Clearly they have issues so they are doing this to prevent the end user from seeing more issues. If someone with one of these boards prior to the change has issues you could likely get an upgrade out of them. Any air overclock is achievable with the cheap of the cheap intel boards without issue because they use very little power. AMD using however many year old architecture and just throwing cores and ghz at it is the culprit. Not asrock.

Back