Silverstone FT05 | CES 2014

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
My guess was just confirmed on SS Facebook Page:

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...615.1073741831.109532382464821&type=1&theater

Nailed It!

el3fbB9.jpg

QWwCpxr.jpg

8yRaPx7l.jpg

55ivOR5l.jpg

Last edited:
Layout-wise, it very much looks like an FT02 with the front bays removed. Not bad.

Layout-wise, it very much looks like an FT02 with the front bays removed. Not bad.

Yep.

The front fan on the FT02 was obstructed, the other two fans did all of the work.
So this design makes sense, pretty much a more sophisticated and cleaner RV03 design.

Dual 180 rad in the bottom, you have a FT02 junior in terms of wc with no drive bay to hack out. Thumbs up.

Front looks like a Bitfenix Outlaw.

Wonder how the internals work in terms of what mounts where. Almost looks like the PSU mounts up front, so I would assume drives go up top....not a lot of space there though. Probably be very limited on storage options (ala Air 540). Looks like the RV02/RV03/FT02 board mount scheme, not the rATX they [foolishly] adopted with the RV/FT04.

Wonder how the internals work in terms of what mounts where. Almost looks like the PSU mounts up front, so I would assume drives go up top....not a lot of space there though. Probably be very limited on storage options (ala Air 540). Looks like the RV02/RV03/FT02 board mount scheme, not the rATX they adopted with the RV/FT04.
It's stated in the link:
2x 3.5-inch drive bays, 2x 2.5-inch drive bays

Looks to me like the drives attach to the plate behind the motherboard.

Front looks like a Bitfenix Outlaw.

Wonder how the internals work in terms of what mounts where. Almost looks like the PSU mounts up front, so I would assume drives go up top....not a lot of space there though. Probably be very limited on storage options (ala Air 540). Looks like the RV02/RV03/FT02 board mount scheme, not the rATX they [foolishly] adopted with the RV/FT04.

That view with the side panel off is the right side looking at it from top down (oriented with the DVD drive as the front).

The layout is vertical motherboard, just like the RV01, RV02, and RV03. The earlier, uglier prototype can be found here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1787300

Old RV05 Prototype from October 2013:
SS-RV05_zpscbb6a955.jpg

I will describe the component layout viewing it from the right side using this pic:
T1qRB28.jpg

Upper left of this pic is the PSU. It is oriented with the intake fan of the PSU facing the back side of the case. You can barely see the vent. It would be mounted with the exhaust blowing out the top panel.

Directly below the PSU should be a mount for 2x3.5" hard drives. It isn't pictured, but can be inferred from the pics of the previous prototype. They may have moved them to behind the motherboard like the RV03, but we can't tell from the limited pics.

In the upper right of this pic is the 120mm exhaust fan and the I/O panel for the motherboard.

Top center is where the expansion slots sit.

In the lower right, behind the motherboard panel is the mounting for the slimline (laptop style) DVD drive. There are no full size 5.25" bays on this case. Being as there are only 3 fans total, it is likely the fans will have some built in speed control switches similar to the RV02 and FT02, so no fan controllers needed.

Based on where that mass of cables is running, I imagine they moved the USB3 ports to a hidden panel underneath the Silverstone logo shown in this pic:
H13gQf0.jpg

If this new version of the RV05 has a slide out fan filter like the other prototype, this will be my dream case.

Ooooh, nice! First look has me thinking that is a rather nice case. I love my FT-02, but I cant stress enough that they named it perfectly, because it is as large as a fortress.

Might want more 5.25 HD space though, but for a smallish case, it looks rather slick and has a very reasonable footprint. I will have to follow this one.

Upper left of this pic is the PSU. It is oriented with the intake fan of the PSU facing the back side of the case. You can barely see the vent. It would be mounted with the exhaust blowing out the top panel.

You mean the front.
Looks like the PSU mounts at the front, and the intake fan for it sucks in air from the front of the case.

The left of that picture is the front of the case, the right of the picture is the back of the case.

As I figured - no 5.25 drive bays.

As much as I love my FT03, I've been looking for something with just a bit more room.

This looks perfect.

You mean the front.
Looks like the PSU mounts at the front, and the intake fan for it sucks in air from the front of the case.

The left of that picture is the front of the case, the right of the picture is the back of the case.

As I figured - no 5.25 drive bays.
No. I do mean the back.

Its just like the RV02 and FT02. The PSU is in the far back of the case attached to the roof. Exhaust goes out top, the intake is on the back side of the case (side which would normally face your wall).
Take another good look at the prototype case shown in the original post. Do you see a vent on the front of that case? The front of the case is the one with the silverstone logo in case you couldn't figure that out. Notice how the front of the case has zero ventilation holes for the PSU.

Look again at the October 2013 pics of the RV05 prototype. The layout is identical. Like others here have said, I think this new prototype is the FT05, not the RV05.

Well... it looks like i'll be putting my ft02 up for sale to buy this, freaking perfect case silverstone.

Also of interest is their new nas case.

No. I do mean the back.

Its just like the RV02 and FT02. The PSU is in the far back of the case attached to the roof. Exhaust goes out top, the intake is on the back side of the case (side which would normally face your wall).

No it's not.

There is no room for a PSU in the back of this case; you couldn't fit a CPU heatsink there. Look at the screw holes. Screw holes right by the rear of the case line up with the top of the motherboard. Judging by the holes, this appears ATX (mATX, ITX) only; no E-ATX, no XL-ATX.

Look at the front. There's a grate or filter or something covering up the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the front panel; that's the filter for the PSU intake.

Use the 120/140mm fan in the upper chamber for reference - that's the CPU exhaust fan. There's no room for a PSU there on the back panel underneath that.

The difference with this case (vs the 02/03 line) is it has no 5.25 bays and the hard drives will mount at the top (it appears). The case looks too narrow to mount drives behind the motherboard tray; if they did that, then they'd limit the CPU HSF clearance possibilities.

7Npfkvp.jpg

Finally, a replacement for my FT02. Time to spend hours researching each component. Might graduate from Noctua NH-D14 to a watercooled system. Upgrade my 3yo Toxic Radeon HD 6950. Actually step up to one of those snazzy RoG Asus motherboards...

No it's not.

There is no room for a PSU in the back of this case; you couldn't fit a CPU heatsink there. Look at the screw holes. Screw holes right by the rear of the case line up with the top of the motherboard. Judging by the holes, this appears ATX (mATX, ITX) only; no E-ATX, no XL-ATX.

Look at the front. There's a grate or filter or something covering up the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the front panel; that's the filter for the PSU intake.

Use the 120/140mm fan in the upper chamber for reference - that's the CPU exhaust fan. There's no room for a PSU there on the back panel underneath that.

The difference with this case (vs the 02/03 line) is it has no 5.25 bays and the hard drives will mount at the top (it appears). The case looks too narrow to mount drives behind the motherboard tray; if they did that, then they'd limit the CPU HSF clearance possibilities.

7Npfkvp.jpg
FTFY

tnynwzk.jpg

The slim optical sits behind the motherboard.

nice case, if i didn't already have a perfectly good ft02 i'd buy it in a shot.

They should have made it an inch taller, so you could put a 2x180mm radiator on the bottom. I know the 90* degree cases are traditionally considered to be air-cooling cases, but people have gotten great temperatures and very clean watercooling setups.

No it's not.

There is no room for a PSU in the back of this case; you couldn't fit a CPU heatsink there.
7Npfkvp.jpg
Reading comprehension FTL?

I explained it quite clearly:
CaptNumbNutz said:
It is oriented with the intake fan of the PSU facing the back side of the case. You can barely see the vent. It would be mounted with the exhaust blowing out the top panel.
CaptNumbNutz said:
The PSU is in the far back of the case attached to the roof. Exhaust goes out top, the intake is on the back side of the case (side which would normally face your wall).

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the dead giveaway for the front of the case is the cabling for the power switch and USB ports which would be assumed to be at the front or top front of the case for easy access...which happens to be on the side opposite of the one you are claiming as the front of the case.

FTFY

tnynwzk.jpg

The slim optical sits behind the motherboard.

Correct. Someone actually read my post and extrapolated correctly from the RV05 prototype pictures I posted. Thank you.

Skip ahead to 3 minutes zero2dash. Necere and I were correct. Interestingly, the only difference between the prototype in the earlier pics and the prototype in the video is the location of the case handles in the cable chamber up top.

Hmm... another interesting post here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1457490/silverstone-silverstone-ft05-ces-2014/120#post_21554499

The most obvious indicator of front/rear is the PSU intake, which you can make out in the side shot. The front photos clearly show a solid front panel, which means the PSU intake has to be on the rear. Another clue are the cables for the front USB/audio/power, which you can see on the right side of the interior photo. The front I/O is on the front edge of the top panel, as seen in another image.

900x900px-LL-873b9bad_FT05-02.jpeg

This is clearly a rotated motherboard layout, with the rear ports at the top (like the FT02). There's the large cable chamber at the top, the top vents and clear bottom-to-top airflow, and the motherboard mounting holes. The tab where the PCI card brackets screw in is also visible along the top edge of the main chamber, just below the handle-looking piece. There's a top-facing 120mm fan mount right over the CPU area (this would be the rear exhaust on case with a normal motherboard orientation).

The location of the slim optical drive is clearly shown in the front photos. Given that we know the rest of the layout, the location behind the motherboard is the only possibility left.

Last edited:
Anyone else hoping they remove that band of silver around the bottom of the case? Seems so out of place.

Has anyone seen details on a release date for this guy? It looks pretty tempting, coming from someone who used to own the tank that was the FT02. I looked around online and didn't have much luck, just CES picture articles.

Just to clarify - ATX motherboard support right?

Finally, a replacement for my FT02. Time to spend hours researching each component. Might graduate from Noctua NH-D14 to a watercooled system. Upgrade my 3yo Toxic Radeon HD 6950. Actually step up to one of those snazzy RoG Asus motherboards...

I just picked up the Rampage IV black... Its flipping dynamite. This case is incredible and I'm buying one ASAP to replace my FT02. Glad I found saw this thread because I was about to drop 60 bucks on a pair of 182's, now I don't have to.

The FT05 resolves all the issues I had with my FT02 (that I did admittedly did love). This is very likely to be my next case as I return to ATX for the possibility of Haswell-E / X99.

Was just about to buy the FT03 or Corsair Carbine case. Now I will hold off until this one comes out. Own the FT02 for my main computer and not only is my gpu quiet, it's much cooler than my other cases.

Back