GIGABYTE Invites World’s Top Overclockers to Las Vegas

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards announces its attendance at CES 2014, teaming up with Intel, G.SKILL and Enermax to host the 2014 CES Extreme Overclock event, also demonstrating a range of the latest enthusiast motherboards and systems.

Join GIGABYTE during CES 2104 at the Caesar’s Palace Conference Center, Las Vegas from January 6th, 2014 where a GIGABYTE Overclocking team led by renowned Overclockers Hicookie and Dinos22 will be joined by other world class talent from around the globe, demonstrating all the skills and experience need to break world records on a GIGABYTE Z87X-OC motherboard. “We are really excited about hosting some of the world’s top Overclockers in Las Vegas,” commented Hicookie, Chief Overclocking Evangelist, GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit. “It promises to be a fantastic OC showcase event, one that underlines our commitment to extreme overclocking and the development of world-class overclocking motherboards like the Z87X-OC.”

Good marketing. Sounds like it'll be fun for those involved, too.

I'd be more impressed by these events/people if they didn't cherry pick their processors. Get a bunch of sealed retail box processors and give each team one. See who wins. But, you know, give anyone a few trays of CPU's and a few cases of motherboards so they can cherry pick their parts, plug in some numbers and pour a bunch of LN2 in to a pot. Suddenly they're a "team" and this is an "event"?

I want an invitation. Then again I don't get parts to throw away to base my skills in the first place.

At least I'm sure they had fun.

I'd be more impressed by these events/people if they didn't cherry pick their processors. Get a bunch of sealed retail box processors and give each team one. See who wins. But, you know, give anyone a few trays of CPU's and a few cases of motherboards so they can cherry pick their parts, plug in some numbers and pour a bunch of LN2 in to a pot. Suddenly they're a "team" and this is an "event"?

What this guy said.

On that note, in any of these competitions do they not take cherry picked hardware and dump LN2 on them? It would be interesting to see what these "experts" could do with retail parts and hyper 212... not just throwing excessive voltage at a subzero 99 percentile cpu...

(I know that's simplifying it, kinda....)

What this guy said.

On that note, in any of these competitions do they not take cherry picked hardware and dump LN2 on them? It would be interesting to see what these "experts" could do with retail parts and hyper 212... not just throwing excessive voltage at a subzero 99 percentile cpu...

(I know that's simplifying it, kinda....)

Well, the thing is no matter what skills a person may have, no one can break the laws of physics. So there will always be a certain limit that you cannot cross, a limit dictated by the physical condition of the chip's die. Point is between a good and a bad chip, no any skill can bridge the gap.

So if the contestant were given random chips, then the result would be determined by luck, who gets the better chip wins. Therefore to maintain competitiveness, it's probably best to allow them to find a good chip. The difference between a bunch of good chip is probably small enough for their skills to overcome, as opposed to the gap between a good and a bad chip.

It just comes down to who can throw the most voltage at a given chip to achieve a certain speed.

I was supposed to be there, this friggin cold weather has me working stupid hours at work though. :(

I've seen the event pictures, but have not seen any of the results yet, which leads me to believe the CPU's were not pre-binned.

Back