GTX 790 details surface!

So Nvidia is going to jump from 3GB to 10GB VRAM all of a sudden? How generous of them...

10GB VRAM seems a little excessive for my needs (only 1920x1080@144Hz), but I do like the Cuda count on it. :D

Might be interesting if the price is right. Assuming this is true. (major assumption)

At 1000$+ though, I dunno. GTX 780 sli costs that much. The VRAM in this rumor is also....odd.

Might be interesting if the price is right. Assuming this is true. (major assumption)

At 1000$+ though, I dunno. GTX 780 sli costs that much. The VRAM in this rumor is also....odd.

Single cards, dual GPU or otherwise, are a necessity for us ITX builders. There are definitely better/cheaper multi-card options.

Very interesting per the speculated specs. I really don't want to see the price tag of a dual GK110...$1200?

Very interesting per the speculated specs. I really don't want to see the price tag of a dual GK110...$1200?

That seems to be the price range people are guessing right now, haven't heard any official details on the price as of yet, but maybe tomorrow at CES.

Real question is, what will a 790 accomplish that a 780Ti cant do, besides the rumored Vram bump?

Push more pixels...provided the software supports SLI. It might have double-precision floating point stuffola in it, but that's just speculation from me.

Push more pixels...provided the software supports SLI. It might have double-precision floating point stuffola in it, but that's just speculation from me.
Gamers dont care about that, besides upped VRAM for 4k support. This will be targeted towards gamers and they could care less about the things mentioned

Gamers dont care about that, besides upped VRAM for 4k support. This will be targeted towards gamers and they could care less about the things mentioned

Weird, I'm a gamer and I'm somewhat interested in this card (pending relevant benchmarks ofc). I play at 1920*1080 though, not multi-monitor, not higher res. I'm just trying to find the biggest, scariest single PCIE card to push closer to 144Hz in demanding games.

Personally I couldn't care about the double-precision DNA...I'm not a scientist/engineer.

Weird, I'm a gamer and I'm somewhat interested in this card (pending relevant benchmarks ofc). I play at 1920*1080 though, not multi-monitor, not higher res. I'm just trying to find the biggest, scariest single PCIE card to push closer to 144Hz in demanding games.

Personally I couldn't care about the double-precision DNA...I'm not a scientist/engineer.
You basically stated what I said...I didnt say people wont be interested in the card, but the mentioned specs about floating points and etc.
At your resolution and single monitor you wont notice a difference between a 780 vs 790 (or even Ti)

I'm still trying to squeeze FPS out of my system past 60Hz. Any of the reviews/benchmarks I've looked at indicate that even 780 Ti Classified cards aren't able to max out a fast (single) display at 1080.

I'm still trying to squeeze FPS out of my system past 60Hz. Any of the reviews/benchmarks I've looked at indicate that even 780 Ti Classified cards aren't able to max out a fast (single) display at 1080.
What are you playing?

Right now? Nothing, really. Amusing myself with Race the Sun, Civ 5, thinking about unfreezing my WoW account. Mostly waiting for stuff to come out...I have my eye on Star Citizen, Dark Souls 2, Wildstar, Project Destiny, bunch of others I can't think of right now. I play just about anything that comes out though, just to check it out and see if it's cool or not.

Other reason I'm interested is because I like enthusiast hardware, and building a tiny, high-performance system.

Right now? Nothing, really. Amusing myself with Race the Sun, Civ 5, thinking about unfreezing my WoW account. Mostly waiting for stuff to come out...I have my eye on Star Citizen, Dark Souls 2, Wildstar, Project Destiny, bunch of others I can't think of right now. I play just about anything that comes out though, just to check it out and see if it's cool or not.

Other reason I'm interested is because I like enthusiast hardware, and building a tiny, high-performance system.
With all current games you can max your 1080p on a single 780, so that shouldnt be an issues.

StarCitizen will require at least a single 780 once its out.

I keep getting the impression that you're thinking that I only need 60 FPS...I'm trying to get as close to 144 FPS as possible and I'll be using G-Sync with the DIY kit when it's available.

Has SLi/Xfire changed, or is it still just 5 GB of usable memory per card?
Because if it is... I thought these forums were smarter than that.

How many YEARS have we had to say "No it's actually just half of that vram"? Like, 8? 9?

I am excited for tomorrow! Perfect timing I'm looking to set up a new build :)

I keep getting the impression that you're thinking that I only need 60 FPS...I'm trying to get as close to 144 FPS as possible and I'll be using G-Sync with the DIY kit when it's available.

I feel you. All this talk about GPU "overkill" on single displays is hogwash. Even 2x780s OCd can't do what I want to do at 144Hz all the time. For iracing.com? Yeah it's np, and I could play on 3 displays if my wife would let that shit happen. For Vsynced 120/144Hz heavy detailed anti-aliased (which admittedly gives diminishing returns) rendering makes the sky the limit as far as what a gamer/enthusiast/benchmark-freak would want to throw in his or her rig--even on one display.

Definitely looking long and hard at the Qnix Evo II as an alternate to my Lightboost display, however. I've never seen 1440p in person and since I live in a place that is stuck on old tech. it appears I may need to get one of these panels from greensum on eBay to avoid ordering something that costs 600-1000 dollars and will either be smaller and slower or blurrier and slower (maybe all 3) than my current monitor.

Interesting. May finally be time to put my 690 out to pasture. I wonder if we will hear anything about Vesuvius at CES?

I feel you. All this talk about GPU "overkill" on single displays is hogwash. Even 2x780s OCd can't do what I want to do at 144Hz all the time. For iracing.com? Yeah it's np, and I could play on 3 displays if my wife would let that shit happen. For Vsynced 120/144Hz heavy detailed anti-aliased (which admittedly gives diminishing returns) rendering makes the sky the limit as far as what a gamer/enthusiast/benchmark-freak would want to throw in his or her rig--even on one display.

Definitely looking long and hard at the Qnix Evo II as an alternate to my Lightboost display, however. I've never seen 1440p in person and since I live in a place that is stuck on old tech. it appears I may need to get one of these panels from greensum on eBay to avoid ordering something that costs 600-1000 dollars and will either be smaller and slower or blurrier and slower (maybe all 3) than my current monitor.

I don't follow IPS displays enough to give you any real advice here. I know ASUS make a decent PLS display that functions pretty good as a poor man's IPS, but it doesn't have the speed to game on imo.

The only 60+Hz IPS displays I've seen are all close to $1000, imported, and OC'd. I have an 24" ASUS 144Hz TN panel that only cost me like $300 locally. I'm not picky about color/res though, I just want the display to be fast.

Interesting. May finally be time to put my 690 out to pasture. I wonder if we will hear anything about Vesuvius at CES?

Haven't heard a peep about Vesuvius yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if AMD drops a press release on it during CES. I forgot all about CES for some reason this year, kinda excited about what everyone has under wraps.

I don't follow IPS displays enough to give you any real advice here. I know ASUS make a decent PLS display that functions pretty good as a poor man's IPS, but it doesn't have the speed to game on imo.

The only 60+Hz IPS displays I've seen are all close to $1000, imported, and OC'd. I have an 24" ASUS 144Hz TN panel that only cost me like $300 locally. I'm not picky about color/res though, I just want the display to be fast.

Haven't heard a peep about Vesuvius yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if AMD drops a press release on it during CES. I forgot all about CES for some reason this year, kinda excited about what everyone has under wraps.

The Korean monitors are superior to anything given the fact you can find most for under $300 that will do a given 96hz. The one complaint I have is getting a seller that's not fucking shady.

The Korean monitors are superior to anything given the fact you can find most for under $300 that will do a given 96hz. The one complaint I have is getting a seller that's not fucking shady.

That seemed to be the problem around a year back when I first heard of these QNIX displays. They're PLS displays too, but the price is good on them, general consensus is that they OC to around 96Hz, color reproduction is great. I didn't look up any warranty information, so can't really comment there. I'd like to see some motion handling, response time, input lag sort of numbers before having an opinion on them.

You can get them from Amazon and Newegg, and bypass said shady sellers, at this point as well. I think I'll go the G-Sync direction still, but these look good so far.

Can't wait to see some benchmarks on these 790 cards, really curious what their performance, power consumption, noise, and physical card dimensions are.

Interesting if this is true, hope it comes with HDMI 2.0 because this card will be useless if it doesn't have it especially if you want to game at 4K, having to be limited at 30Hz will be pointless if you have this card anyway without HDMI 2.0 support.

Interesting if this is true, hope it comes with HDMI 2.0 because this card will be useless if it doesn't have it especially if you want to game at 4K, having to be limited at 30Hz will be pointless if you have this card anyway without HDMI 2.0 support.

HDMI 2.0 is the "new" DVI.. dead before arrival... DP or bust IMHO HDMI 2.0 only just catches up to DP 1.2 (2009) specification. DP 1.3 (which is expected to be finalized in Q2 14) will increase bandwidth to 32.4 Gbit/s). HDMI 2.0 increases throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s (per channel) for a maximum total of 18 Gbit/s... far below DP1.3 (nearly HALF)

Originally Posted by crABtoad

Um, PLS (Samsung panels) are pretty much the same technology as LG's IPS panels for all practical purposes (Gotta love the Korean soap opera between those two companies). But It's hardly a "poor man's IPS". :)

And that same panel found in the Asus you mentioned is also used in the Viewsonic VP2770-LED, with quite a bit better response time and input lag, and it doesn't use PWM dimming. I use one, and I'm quite happy with it.

I tried a Lightboost panel, (BenQ XL2720T) and didn't think the lower response time and input lag was enough to justify the absolutely horrid colours and viewing angles, and I play mostly FPS games. Sold it to a co-worker after a week, who also ended up not able to live with TN (coming from IPS), so I ended up sending it back to Amazon. Might have been a bit happier with a 24" in regards to the viewing angles, but that would mean going back to a 24" AND living with a TN panel. Been there, done that, called it 2002.

Obviously YMMV, people swear by Lightboost and can't live without it and don't mind TN panel shortcomings.

Um, PLS (Samsung panels) are pretty much the same technology as LG's IPS panels for all practical purposes (Gotta love the Korean soap opera between those two companies). But It's hardly a "poor man's IPS". :)

And that same panel found in the Asus you mentioned is also used in the Viewsonic VP2770-LED, with quite a bit better response time and input lag, and it doesn't use PWM dimming. I use one, and I'm quite happy with it.

I tried a Lightboost panel, (BenQ XL2720T) and didn't think the lower response time and input lag was enough to justify the absolutely horrid colours and viewing angles, and I play mostly FPS games. Sold it to a co-worker after a week, who also ended up not able to live with TN (coming from IPS), so I ended up sending it back to Amazon. Might have been a bit happier with a 24" in regards to the viewing angles, but that would mean going back to a 24" AND living with a TN panel. Been there, done that, called it 2002.

Obviously YMMV, people swear by Lightboost and can't live without it and don't mind TN panel shortcomings.

I view the color performance, uniformity, viewing angles, resolution, etc., as a sacrifice for the speed. 24" is about as big as you want 1080p displays before they start looking chunky. I picked this VG248QE up because it's fast and it's forwards compatible with G-Sync. This will be my last TN panel, but I don't regret getting it.

Not sure I'm buying into that rumor. 10GB of VRAM? Yeah right.

Not sure I'm buying into that rumor. 10GB of VRAM? Yeah right.

As people have pointed out, it's 2*5GB, and it doesn't seem too far-fetched with the 4k displays on the rise.

E: Could be inaccurate as well, not claiming that the listed specs are 100%.

Maybe if Maxwell is released in the same timeframe, GK110 will get a discount as will the 790. ;)

Wishful thinking. Maybe?

Seems to me with the new 4k@60hz coming out, and the 1440p/1080p 120hz+ monitors we already have, both of which are being and will be more and more often triple mounted, 5GBmirrored ddr5 in sli or xf is not overkill at all.

I still have no reason to upgrade my NVidia 570 :) I run a 24in monitor 1920x1200 and runs everything great and maxed options. 4k could care less about atm and none of these current video cards are going to be able to play 4k display games good enough so it is nuts to even consider a upgrade. Being so many games are just ports anyways of the consoles most people are just throwing money away. About 3 years or so from now is when I will upgrade to a new computer with 4k display.

Single cards, dual GPU or otherwise, are a necessity for us ITX builders. There are definitely better/cheaper multi-card options.

When has a single dual GPU card EVER been better or cheaper than multi-card solutions?

so these are 2x binned/rejected Titan cores with odd RAM configuration?
meh...
hoping a vendor releases 780Ti with more RAM.

Back