Your Next Soda Could Come With Internet Access

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Why in the world would the Coca Cola Company be registering 16 Million MAC addresses? Don your tinfoil hats and think the worst in light of the NSA scandal, or it could be something as simple as stock control.

And it certainly make sense for Coke to move to networked vending machines; it would allow them to track inventory and making stocking decisions from afar instead of sending a truck to check on each individual machine.

Last edited:
Why the false info about statement that a cola could have internet access ? They are simply talking about the machines to distribute the cola.

The MAC addresses are so the machines can take credit cards for payment, they already began installing them in my area.

Preferably our society would have evolved to the point now to realize how harmful soda vending machines are to public health, and we would have moved away from them.

The fat epidemic has spread from the United States to the UK and is now spreading through Europe. Its amazing looking at pictures of Germany I have from the late 80s with crowds in them at city square and looking today, where half the people are blimps.

Especially with Obamacare on the way, society will not be able to afford the long term health effects of large scale corn syrup consumption (believed to be the primary cause of the obesity epidemic, and real reason that low carb diets like Atkins are so successful... forces people to give up corn syrup from their diets).

A block of 16M MAC addresses isn't too unusual to request for a specific purpose. It's the basic block of how they're assigned (first triplet is manufacturer id, second triplet holds one of 16M combinations). The suggestions above for network attached soda machines seems reasonable. The malls near me have had the debit/CC accepting Coke machines for years. Maybe Coke is deciding to handle the transactions centrally in the future instead of paying a 3rd party at the POS level.

the long term health effects of large scale corn syrup consumption (believed to be the primary cause of the obesity epidemic, and real reason that low carb diets like Atkins are so successful... forces people to give up corn syrup from their diets).

In this respect, sugar is sugar. Subbing corn syrup for powdered doughnuts ain't gonna help ya. ;)

<rant>My argument on top of the sugar is the selling of diet stuff as better or the growth of energy drinks. As a Lo-Carb Monster addict, that crap will kill me, and I CAN'T stop...I drink like 10 bottles of water to try to balance out the one or 2 cans I drink a day, but if I go without one I feel empty and I get massive migraines...</rant>

In this respect, sugar is sugar. Subbing corn syrup for powdered doughnuts ain't gonna help ya. ;)

<rant>My argument on top of the sugar is the selling of diet stuff as better or the growth of energy drinks. As a Lo-Carb Monster addict, that crap will kill me, and I CAN'T stop...I drink like 10 bottles of water to try to balance out the one or 2 cans I drink a day, but if I go without one I feel empty and I get massive migraines...</rant>

Well, the doughnuts aren't going to go away. So, it's my duty to protect you all by eating more. :D

Actually, I've given up a lot of sweets. Plus, the way I stopped drinking a Rockstar or two energy drinks a day was to buy a Keurig (which I hated before I got one). Now, I'm up to 3-4 cups of coffee a day. Unsweetened, of course. Plus, my wife went on a diet, so we made it family wide. We eat very healthy these days, and it makes us all feel great. :)

Perhaps if you pay with CC, you could look up online what your monthly sugar consumption is from soda vending machines, and perhaps the machines could have an LCD on it with the latest surgeon general's warning about consuming too much sugar! :D

You're right, but high fructose corn syrup thanks to subsidies is even cheaper than sugar, and in EVERYTHING. I was surprised how hard it was to even find bacon and sausages without it... ugh! BTW, I think what you're talking about is caffeine addiction, with the wonderful headache, fatigue, anxiety, irritability, etc. withdrawal symptoms. Had to go through that twice, since I fell off the wagon before and used to drink 2 liters straight from the bottle, heh!

Don't blame sugar when the biggest portion of the answer is simply that people have horrible impulse control and an obsession for instant gratification. Eating healthily, making one's own meals, and exercising all take effort far greater than buying a box of sweets, going to buy a burger, or plopping down and watching television. Yet, funny enough, they are all cheaper as well. It costs more money to eat unhealthily, drink, and smoke to excess. I can't tell you how many people I see complain about having no money when they never buy groceries and instead are constantly out to eat, go to bars and pay inordinately high prices for drinks, and follow up with a pack a day of smokes.

Read all the replys while sipping on:
Dvmpz27l.jpg

Back