Never Ask A Comedian To Tweet About Your Products

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a prime example of why it is a bad idea to ask a comedian to "tweet about popular brands." Some language is NSFW. :cool:

Friday afternoon, a company called Brander solicited comedian Patton Oswalt via Twitter to ask him to tweet about products they represent, and Oswalt ended up having a lot of fun with it. He went on a tear making fun of the company and their strategy with a series of tweets that amassed hundreds of retweets and attention from the press.

They are being smart though, like telemarketers, kill em with kindness, move on to the next person, same speech, same script.

They are being smart though, like telemarketers, kill em with kindness, move on to the next person, same speech, same script.

That could easily backfire though...

Say Monsanto asks Bill Burr to tweet about their new Terminator Seeds, but instead he goes off on a rant saying how it fucked up the Indian subsistence industry, forcing hundreds of thousands of Indians to commit suicide. You damn well know it's gonna bring the wrong kind of attention you're talking about.

Sodomy - Check
Religion - Check
Bulimia - Check
Child Molestation - Check

And all in a few tweets.

I think I might like him, I shall endeavour to learn more.

Patton is a bit overbearingly progressive, but he's a solid comedian. I even liked his serious acting roles.

I generally like him but I think it would have been better to have left it with the "big, wet shit right on my soul" part and move on. Having escalated so much he really just came off as a serious prick imho.

He came across as a bit of a douche IMO.

They asked him if he wanted to, instead of politely saying no, he went full retard.

Maybe I'm not his target audience anymore or something, I used to enjoy him, but this isn't remotely funny, it's just him being a douche to them. Its not like they pestered him non-stop..

He came across as a bit of a douche IMO.

They asked him if he wanted to, instead of politely saying no, he went full retard.

Maybe I'm not his target audience anymore or something, I used to enjoy him, but this isn't remotely funny, it's just him being a douche to them. Its not like they pestered him non-stop..

He was using the situation to promote himself, which worked. Not particularly funny, but effective.

He played right into their hand.

When it comes to advertising any publicity is good publicity.

He played right into their hand.

When it comes to advertising any publicity is good publicity.

Uh huh. Negative brand recognition is a thing you know. You can have your brand known in such a way no one informed will want to touch it. For example OCZ.

Uh huh. Negative brand recognition is a thing you know. You can have your brand known in such a way no one informed will want to touch it. For example OCZ.

That comes from user experience, bad press isn't a negative towards your product. That company just got the best free advertising ever.

That comes from user experience, bad press isn't a negative towards your product. That company just got the best free advertising ever.

Everyone always talking about how shitty EA's SimCity/Dragon Age/etc sequels are is the best free advertising ever!

Everyone talking about what a bunch of asshats the RIAA and MPAA are is the best free advertising ever!

24/7 coverage of BP oilspills is the best free advertising ever!

Bull feathers. Having people simply talking about your product/company is not necessarily a good thing, simply because people know your name.

Yes but he isn't talking bad about their specific products or saying that the products are bad, he's making jokes (a bit at their expensive of asking him to promote them) but at the same time he is indeed giving them free publicity and getting people to see their brand name.

Yes but he isn't talking bad about their specific products or saying that the products are bad, he's making jokes (a bit at their expensive of asking him to promote them) but at the same time he is indeed giving them free publicity and getting people to see their brand name.

Exactly. Everyone knows he was making jokes, so they wouldn't take his comments seriously, but now they've all heard of the company's brand. The company got exactly what they wanted.

It's ok, let the internet be the internet.

Any of that was funny? I don't understand "comedians" these days. Seemed like a ranting dbag with too much time on his hands. Cool your shit and just ignore it if you don't want to actually be funny.

Sodomy - Check
Religion - Check
Bulimia - Check
Child Molestation - Check

And all in a few tweets.

I think I might like him, I shall endeavour to learn more.

You never heard of him before?

I didn't look to far into them to see if that is actually any brands they actually represent. So don't think he was actually giving them any help. Looking at their twitter feed I went back a few days it it is just dozens of these types of @person or group please join us and promote brands.... And that is all I saw, nothing else. So if anything I can see this type of response hurting this Brander company as other comics already know about this know and are making fun of the fact that they are still at this type of attempt to get people to advertise for them.

Just tried to see if this company up to this still. Now they have their twitter page blocked from the public lol

Back