Steam Reaches 7.6M Concurrent Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, Steam just hit the 7.6M concurrent users mark. Apparently the holidays are a great time of year to get caught up on some gaming.

More than 7.6 million of Steam's 65 million members logged in yesterday, December 29, setting a new record for peak concurrent usage. This is up from 7 million recorded over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and a high of 6 million in 2012.

bank-account-steam-sale-fry.jpg

Explains the server overload they were having that day. Come on Valve, if Blizzard can handle it so can you.

Explains the server overload they were having that day. Come on Valve, if Blizzard can handle it so can you.

Actually I just realized, WOW has had 10M users in total, not concurrent.. brain fart on my part.

How many of those accounts were not really being used, and were just logged into automatically when the computer was started up?

How many of those accounts were not really being used, and were just logged into automatically when the computer was started up?

Well I guess they are all being used to a certain degree... even if its an order/new game per year.

Though there will be a % which bought a game via physical medium that force installed steam.

Steam model is beneficial to the PC to regain lost marketshare to mobile which had the advantage of low cost games. Now that cost is on parity the better experience is on PC. Looking at my personal spending habit it was mobile games but now has shifted to PC games. Now, we just need next generation AMD APU to even the hardware cost parity while maintaining a good experience like what's done with the PS4.

I think Steam gets a lot of extra action during the huge sales. It gets people on the platform and into the ecosystem. From there, they see a small sale and jump. They get used to Steam and eventually use it for the newer games that aren't on sale. When it was first released, I HATED Steam. Never wanted to use it, never wanted to buy a game and not physically own it. Now, I have a ton of Steam games. I recommend it to everyone.

I can easily see that many users on there and many more with Steam not running.

Go, Steam, go!

I was wondering the same thing. I used to have Steam start up automatically but most of the time, I don't use Steam when I use my computer. So I disabled its auto start-up. If I were to guess, I'd say half of the 7.6M were actually gaming and the other half just had Steam running in the background.

Back