Scratch Build - Slim Aluminum Mini ITX SteamBox (formerly "m3a2")

CMadki4

Supreme [H]ardness
A compact, all aluminum slim gaming case. That was my goal with the original M3A2 project. Here are the results of scrounging together the scraps from that project and what I was able to put together from the ashes of that initiative.

The SFX PSU mounts to a duct/bracket that mounts to the motherboard tray. The duct directs the exhaust of the PSU to the outside of the case:

Bottom view shows the intake for the SFX power supply:

With the front panel mounted. You can see the close fit of the power switch and power cable. Couldn't be any closer; a nice fit:

Now with the rear panel mounted and the motherboard installed. Power cord with right angle plug is made to proper length so no extra cable length to manage. Same with the power switch/LED wires:

A quick look inside shows organized chaos. Cable management is actually pretty reasonable considering the size. All the components fit together quit well. Almost like I planned it that way!

Last minute decision, I decided to put in a fan controller for the two exhaust fan. Internally mounted with access to the knob from the outside so I don't need to open the case to adjust the speed.

On the top panel there are two 120mm fans on a speed controller. Both set to exhaust. I generally prefer positive pressure, but this case lends itself more to negative given the location in the entertainment cabinet.

Now with the SteamBox fully assembled and ready to power on. Pardon the finger prints and smudges. Only the front panel was thoroughly "brushed". The top panel will be brushed later:

Very spartan rear panel; nothing unnecessary. Sturdy GPU mounting bracket keep the GPU secured when laying horizontally:

Top panel is adorned with two 120mm fan locations. Currently only have one fan installed over the GPU. Set to exhaust.

The bottom panel has vents for the GPU (top) and the PSU (bottom). Plenty of air flow throughout the case. The case sits atop 4 no-frills rubber feet, which create over 1/2" air gap below the case:

More to come. Internal pics of assembled system. Temps and noise. General discussion.

Again, pardon the finger prints and smudges. Better pics coming later after I'm done tinkering with it and ready to set it and forget it.

Last edited:
Will you be selling these? Looks very good. Can't wait to see it with the paint job.

Won't likely be painting this or making any more of them. This was just pieced together from scrap I had left over.

I like the brushed aluminum finish. My last M3A2 Mini that updawg now has looked better brushed too. The textured black powder coat looks awesome, but the lines of the case just disappear. With the brushed finish it really shows off the nice shape. I've got the front nicely brushed, but the rest of the case i'll just DA (dual action) for the textured finish. Easier to do and less prone to finger prints and nicks.

Last edited:
Thank you Alted4 and always happy to hear from you ekuest :)

I'm contemplating something: Given the location of the case inside a home theater shelf, the two 120mm fans are best suited to exhaust, so that it draws warm air out of the case and up into the cabinet. Some cool air is passively pulled from the front/sides of the case which is closer to the open air of the room. My question is this: so that my CPU cooler and the top can fan aren't fighting, should I turn my Noctua fan around? Look at the pics in the OP. The CPU fan blows down over the motherboard. Can I turn this around and still get effective CPU cooling? Ultimately I'm just going to try it and see how my temperature behave, but thought I'd ask.

It should work reasonably well, although I'd also try adding a simple shroud just to limit recirculation.

Thank you Alted4 and always happy to hear from you ekuest :)

I'm contemplating something: Given the location of the case inside a home theater shelf, the two 120mm fans are best suited to exhaust, so that it draws warm air out of the case and up into the cabinet. Some cool air is passively pulled from the front/sides of the case which is closer to the open air of the room. My question is this: so that my CPU cooler and the top can fan aren't fighting, should I turn my Noctua fan around? Look at the pics in the OP. The CPU fan blows down over the motherboard. Can I turn this around and still get effective CPU cooling? Ultimately I'm just going to try it and see how my temperature behave, but thought I'd ask.

Positive pressure.

You need your mill back man. These would have sold like hotcakes.

Looks great! I like how the brushed finish turned out.

That should work fine for cooling, the Alienware X51 has the CPU fan exhausting up (with a shroud to direct the hot air out the side), but dust may be a problem.

Last edited:
A quick look inside shows organized chaos. Cable management is actually pretty reasonable considering the size. All the components fit together quit well. Almost like I planned it that way!

Last minute decision, I decided to put in a fan controller for the two exhaust fan. Internally mounted with access to the knob from the outside so I don't need to open the case to adjust the speed.

On the top panel there are two 120mm fans on a speed controller. Both set to exhaust. I generally prefer positive pressure, but this case lends itself more to negative given the location in the entertainment cabinet.

Playing Bioshock Infinite last night maxed out my temps were excellent. Before firing up the game the system was idling at 32*C on the CPU and 34*C on the GPU. Gaming for an hour or so pushed the CPU up to 40*C and the GPU peaked at 54*C. This is with the case fans on low (maybe 30%). Also keep in mind the case is also sitting on top of a warm Motorola DVR and tucked into the home theater.

Very pleased with those temperatures. And it is really quiet too. I'd imagine cramming a hotter CPU and GPU in there would be no problem.

If you didn't notice in the pictures I did turn the Noctua fan around on the CPU.

Favorite. Case. Ever.

That is super cool, I've been waiting for someone to make a case like that so we can actually buy it, not those pre-made systems like the Tiki. Very nice work.

Thank you!

I won't be producing these unfortunately. No immediate plans to anyways. Not saying a local mfg. won't pickup the job.

Wow, you weren't kidding about building it from scratch! Your setup came together very nicely and it looks great. :)

Still I can enjoy your build through the pics kudos

CMadki4, that is an awesome case. When I started looking through this thread I didn't pay attention that it was yours, but while looking through the first few pics, I was thinking "this looks like something CMadki4 would have built" turns out I was correct :D . Excellent work sir. I love the form factor you done here. I would also love the chance to have a case like this. Keep up the amazing work.

Ha, thank you kindly! It is really a fun form factor to work with after you figure out the basic layout. And the temps in this case are just stellar!

Trust me, I would love to have the means to make a few hundred of these. I've got raw materials for 5 more but no machine in house any longer.

Have you looked into the cost of having a 3rd party manufacture the cases?

Have you looked into the cost of having a 3rd party manufacture the cases?

Yes, and because of the machining processes (as opposed to laser/stamping) it is pretty cost prohibitive. That is why I opted to do the first batch myself. To make this affordable I'd have to go to large quantities or redesign to a bent sheetmetal design instead of the current machined aluminum.

Very nice, simple and elegant desigm. I really enjoy simple looking build outs. Gratz on a great job!

Saw this on the homepage and wanted to say, Freaking Awesome! Simple and beautiful.

I don't know how I missed this, but great work!
It turned out very professional, and I was really impressed with the overall design.

Definitely a build worthy of the [H]ard title. :cool:

Wow. Awesome build. I would suggest though that it needs 4 USB ports on the front: 2 for wireless games pads and 2 for a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Very nice, simple and elegant desigm. I really enjoy simple looking build outs. Gratz on a great job!
Saw this on the homepage and wanted to say, Freaking Awesome! Simple and beautiful.
I don't know how I missed this, but great work!
It turned out very professional, and I was really impressed with the overall design.

Definitely a build worthy of the [H]ard title. :cool:
Thank you very much, all! :)
There it is, thanks bigmac!
Wow. Awesome build. I would suggest though that it needs 4 USB ports on the front: 2 for wireless games pads and 2 for a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Thanks Quartz! 2 USB ports seem to be totally sufficient. In fact, I'm only using 1 of the 2 for a Logitech keyboard/mouse. I have 4 wireless Xbox360 controllers (for Mario Kart 64) sync'd to an internally mounted Xbox360 wireless receiver (internal motherboard USB header). 4 USB ports on such a case and application might be a little overkill. 2 USB3.0 ports seems to plenty and keeps the front panel clean and simple :)

Edit: I also updated some of the pictures in the OP. I replaced some of the grainy low light pictures of the smudged case front panel with less smudgey grainy low light pictures, haha.

Last edited:
Steam box with optical drive?!? Words.. escape.. wut?:eek::D

I'm still a little jelly.. Vury nice. (other than the optical drive).

Last edited:
mind sharing cad files for it if you arent going to manu them? maybe a "how to" guide of materials and what you need done?

are waterjet tolerances tight enough for the cutting?

Waterjet cutting is probably more appropriate for the 3mm top and bottom panels. But the 4mm left/right/front/rear panels are aluminum extrusions with a lot of pocketing and contouring a waterjet cannot do. Tolerance wise, it would be fine as long the stream doesn't bevel too much on the thicker material (I believe it would cut pretty perpendicular given the 6063 alloy).

I'm not 100% ready to make it open source yet and share the CAD files. I still have raw material for 5 more cases and haven't totally discounted the idea of having them machined for me (cost and time dependent). Otherwise, all my pictures and my brain are open to share and pick! :)

[T5K]thrasher;1040516358 said:
Steam box with optical drive?!? Words.. escape.. wut?:eek::D

I'm still a little jelly.. Vury nice. (other than the optical drive).
You're right. I'm smashing the whole thing with a hammer and starting over....brb... ;)

I too would prefer it without the optical drive, but this case was made from B and C grade parts I had in my scrap bin. This was originally for a customer who required a tray load optical. I never shipped out B or C grade machined parts so I started over and was left a still decent front panel for my own uses :D

I still find the optical handy since it replaces my DVD player and I don't have a HDD in this thing to RIP DVDs, nor any desire to do so.

It would look a lot cleaner without it though, I agree. Word.

Back