NYPD's New High Tech Police Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now all they need is Robocop to go along with these high-tech cop cars and NYC will be all set. Your move...creep. :cool:

It is the department's prototype "smart car," outfitted with the latest gadgets in public safety. It has two infrared monitors mounted on the trunk that record any numbers it sees—such as license plates and addresses. It has surveillance cameras and air sensors capable of sending real-time information to police headquarters.

"The smart car prototype has been on the road for about a year"

I suspect that the chemical sniffers are all going to be set to detect the molecules of heated vegetable oil, egg, flour, sugar and roasted arabica.

I can see those license plate readers being ripped off the cars quite often.

Ok NYPD, get with the program. Everything in that car is outdated. We have had them almost 5 years here in Florida. The light bar on top of the car was introduced in 1997 here and removed for higher visibility LED lights in 2004. It not only uses reduced power, it doesn't have a motor which breaks every other week and costs a lot less. That car should go back to 2004 where it belongs.

The vehicles will be known as Knight Automated Roving Robot, but you may call them asshole ticket machines.
82KARR095.jpg

Ok NYPD, get with the program. Everything in that car is outdated. We have had them almost 5 years here in Florida. The light bar on top of the car was introduced in 1997 here and removed for higher visibility LED lights in 2004. It not only uses reduced power, it doesn't have a motor which breaks every other week and costs a lot less. That car should go back to 2004 where it belongs.

Are you a Florida po?

"In terms of personnel, the department will begin closely tracking the experience and education levels of its officers so they can be matched up with certain assignments."

So there will be maybe 3 guys who can operate the new Gadgetmobile and 2500 others assigned to randomly spraying bullets in Time Square.

And why are they only now "closely" tracking experience and education levels? Before they just asked and handed out a badge if it sounded legit but now they are going to write something down?

yep agree... the vector light bar was a piece of crap... still using what looks like a smart siren 2000 which has also been around forever...

the license plate reading cameras are not new, in Miami and on Miami Beach they are fairly common

those toughbooks are not that recent either... they just started replacing the old pentium m toughbooks in the county vehicles with the dells

None of that shit is a replacement for letting cops do their jobs instead of turning them into mindless stop and frisk thugs.

Don't worry, Bloomberg will push for a bill that will ban whatever it is they're eating to fix that.

If he gets rid of the Dunkin' Donuts, then what will they guard? Saw a police station in Philly that had a DD literally across the street. :D

None of that shit is a replacement for letting cops do their jobs instead of turning them into mindless stop and frisk thugs.

Quick! There's a brown person! Should we bomb him, or just a stop and frisk followed by a boot on their neck? /need more numbers to maintain last year's level of funding......up against the car you animal.......

I miss the days when every citizen wasn't treated like a criminal by default and were scanned for so much as passing a police car. You know, that time where you had to be doing something suspicious to get your tag run.

Fed up with this police state bullshit. I respect cops on a personal level, but I have nothing but hatred and contempt for the constant power grabs from our police and government. I am NOT willing to give up my constitutional freedom for an illusion of more safety.

The license plate scanner is illegal and unconstitutional. The Boston police just dropped it, after being publicly embarrassed ... it caught the same stolen motorcycle being driven around the city, repeatedly, and none of the cops bothered to do anything about it.

This plus Police dogs being trained to "alert" on demand as a pretext for drug searches, rather than actually finding drugs ... and you end up with a total joke of law enforcement.

Of course they've always been a joke since the start of the war on drugs.

Gooood morning slaves. Public safety lol. Try more like elite safety... I just had a state officer pull me over for going nearly 20 over, when I had my cruise control on going 2ish over, just so he could search my car. They do that Shit here all the fuckin time. If you don't comply with their every command, they make your life he'll (trust me, I've tried sticking up for my rights - it doesn't work well), and if you do then you can pat yourself on the back for being a good little servant.

So they store the recorded data for an indefinite amount of time...but that`s going to change in the future....:) I don`t know about this,

I suspect that the chemical sniffers are all going to be set to detect the molecules of heated vegetable oil, egg, flour, sugar and roasted arabica.

They don't need any fancy electronics for that, detecting that is police 101 and is taught the first day at the academy.

Back