Sony, Panasonic Have Ended OLED Partnership?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well that didn't last long.

Sony and Panasonic have reportedly ended an 18-month-old partnership aimed at mass-producing OLED panels for large displays and televisions. We've contacted both companies to confirm the dissolution of the partnership, reported Wednesday in The Wall Street Journal citing unnamed sources. Reuters later confirmed the report through company spokespeople. We'll update this post when we get our own confirmation.

Last edited:
Was good while it lasted, guess our fate is to be stuck with LCD technology for ever.
Crystal LED looked promising, but that went no where, and now oled looks like its going no where too.

I don't know if this is bad news, or good that Sony and Panasonic want to focus on 3840x2160 UHD LCD screens rather than 1080p OLEDs and 1 or 2 UHD OLED vaporware screens that would never be viable in the short term.

I read this on monday, and bought a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 yesterday , I'm not waiting any more for OLED or 4K and I'm not getting stuck with sub-par LCDs when all the plasma's sell out.

I do wish Sony and Panasonic were in a stronger position versus Samsung and LG, if only for them to compete on quality more. There are just too many people buying $1000-$2000 LCD TV's that have sub-par parts and fail after 2-3 years lately because of the run to the bottom

OLED was supposed to become much cheaper, and without a backlight they were supposed to be more robust and less prone to sudden failures.

I know Sharp is doing a lot better now that IGZO is around but they don't seem to want to be a premium player in the US much and Panasonic stopping plasma production really looks like only Sony I trying to chase the High-end.

The only other hope for large high quality screens seems like a LED or laser lamp based projectors that are bright enough for daytime use and a 85" UHD LCD or OLED being around $40,000 versus a LED / laser UHD projector being $15,000 or a lot less to start will have to do unless Panasonic and Sony put out really big direct backlight UHD LCD screens.

I don't know if this is bad news, or good that Sony and Panasonic want to focus on 3840x2160 UHD LCD screens rather than 1080p OLEDs and 1 or 2 UHD OLED vaporware screens that would never be viable in the short term.

I read this on monday, and bought a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 yesterday , I'm not waiting any more for OLED or 4K and I'm not getting stuck with sub-par LCDs when all the plasma's sell out.

I do wish Sony and Panasonic were in a stronger position versus Samsung and LG, if only for them to compete on quality more. There are just too many people buying $1000-$2000 LCD TV's that have sub-par parts and fail after 2-3 years lately because of the run to the bottom

OLED was supposed to become much cheaper, and without a backlight they were supposed to be more robust and less prone to sudden failures.

I know Sharp is doing a lot better now that IGZO is around but they don't seem to want to be a premium player in the US much and Panasonic stopping plasma production really looks like only Sony I trying to chase the High-end.

The only other hope for large high quality screens seems like a LED or laser lamp based projectors that are bright enough for daytime use and a 85" UHD LCD or OLED being around $40,000 versus a LED / laser UHD projector being $15,000 or a lot less to start will have to do unless Panasonic and Sony put out really big direct backlight UHD LCD screens.

You can pair a Epson 5200 UB with a screen that rejects ambient light it is pricey last time I checked but looks amazing. Congrats on the VT purchase I been looking too for some decent price drops...

Been around the block..Black Diamond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWSY0e4xX0

New
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.p...ew=article&id=1895&catid=12&Itemid=20&lang=en

I will only start worrying when Samsung stops dealing with OLED.

It effectively is with Panasonic deciding to end production. No other plasmas can perform as they did.

At least there's a viable option for the moment were anything to happen to my 4 year old Kuro.....I just don't understand how Pioneer gets out the of the market, Panasonic buys their technology, and then we finally get plasmas as good as the old Pioneers all these years later, only for Panasonic to decide enough is enough. Now what?

Actually, I do understand.....Average buyer doesn't care if they buy crap as long as it's cheap. Same thing happened to Pioneer, same thing is happening to OLED, why pay all that money when that there no-name generic screen with the brightness turned up is bigger, hence it must be better!! And then fails after a few years?

It may be too early to tell yet, but I can't imagine this is going to be good....it's not like we've been hearing all this OLED buzz and they've been taking off. I blame manufacturers (wasn't Samsung first?) for calling LED-backlit LCDs "LED TVs" and confusing people who think they're the same thing, and not being readily as apparent for being different physically the way LCDs were over CRTs.

So long, OLED, we hardly knew ye. Time to go looking for a secondhand KD-34XBR960!

Wasn't SED yet another proprietary Sony thing?

No, it was Canon and Toshiba. The tech failed after the two companies stopped getting along. It was the perfect display tech too; CRT level color and response with LCD thickness.

Don't remind me that the plasma market is ending.

Get your VT60 sets while they're hot. Picked up two 65" VT60 sets in the last month.

I won't be upgrading until I can get an 80" 4K OLED for a semi-reasonable price. It'll be years and years before this is a reality.

It effectively is with Panasonic deciding to end production. No other plasmas can perform as they did.

At least there's a viable option for the moment were anything to happen to my 4 year old Kuro.....I just don't understand how Pioneer gets out the of the market, Panasonic buys their technology, and then we finally get plasmas as good as the old Pioneers all these years later, only for Panasonic to decide enough is enough. Now what?

Actually, I do understand.....Average buyer doesn't care if they buy crap as long as it's cheap. Same thing happened to Pioneer, same thing is happening to OLED, why pay all that money when that there no-name generic screen with the brightness turned up is bigger, hence it must be better!! And then fails after a few years?

It sucks. Meanwhile Samsung LCDs sell like crazy but they're absolute trash.

Maybe Panny will reverse it's decision to kill off Plasma's now.

You can pair a Epson 5200 UB with a screen that rejects ambient light it is pricey last time I checked but looks amazing. Congrats on the VT purchase I been looking too for some decent price drops...

Been around the block..Black Diamond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWSY0e4xX0

New
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.p...ew=article&id=1895&catid=12&Itemid=20&lang=en

thanks, and I just saw a post over at slickdeals.net that dropped the tc-p60vt60 from $1799.99 to $1647.99 with a pricematch so I feel pretty happy about grabbing one. :)

I know all about the SI black-diamond screens and similar products,pricey for sure but I understand why and I like the Epsons 3LCD projectors for proper color rendering and color brightness but for the money, they still have issues with alignment and need better QC unfortunately , plus input lag on them is a no go if gaming much.

I almost got the SI screen for my Benq w1070 but I'm gonna DIY a blackout-cloth screen instead. At the end it was too much money versus me getting a nice JVC e-shift 4k projector for the better contrast and paying more up front. I have the projector setup with the PC and consoles and the plasma will be in the livingroom.

but a LED or Laser based option is more what would be viable for the future because you still need a "light cannon" projector to get good contrast ratios and a UHP lamp only lasting 2000-4000 hours and pulling hundreds of watts.

Even then, those screen solutions are more about giving you good blacks rather than daylight brightness levels.

Plus I'm looking at the idea that a 3840x2160 or 4096x2160 led/laser based projector and screen setup being under should still beat OLED UHD set in cost and size by a large margin.

I just don't know if Panasonic will be putting out good screens, their current LCD's are reviewed horribly. Sony, well they still can engineer great screens but it is hard to sell premium options if their current models aren't as good as the XBR's were a few years back but at least they do make sets with good input-lag and they are heavily invested into UHD and 4K production.

I just really hope they both have good options to show at CES, i'm not liking the idea of Samsung and LG being the only game in town. there is just too much price fixing and QC issues.

Heaven forbid Apple does put out some kind of UHD "iTV" and use Samsung or LG to source the panels, all the while selling them for huge prices and sub-par quality.

If Sharp can ramp up the IGZO screens and the "moth-eye" tech maybe there is a chance for decent direct view sets from Japan still. The players in China like TCL and Hi-sense seem to be ok with mid-range LED edge-lit panels, so I don't see high-end options coming from them soon either.

Back