Shock Therapy Can Erase Unwanted Memories

HardOCP News

[H] News
And by "erase unwanted memories" I'm pretty sure they just mean "brain wipe." Look at the bright side, at least those pesky "unwanted" memories will be gone. ;)

Forced memory loss has been the focus of countless works of fiction — a vehicle into unpursued paths and lives not lived. Now scientists claim the practice of shock therapy may have real-world application in erasing unwanted memories, particularly as a means to rehabilitate the scars left by post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and major depression.

This is nothing new. In fact, it's long been theorized that the reason ECT works so well for treating severe depressive episodes is because it erases recent memories leading up to the episode.

And anyone stupid enough to try this can expect to drool on the floor, tinkle on themselves, go brain dead and end up as an organ factory in a mental institution.

So rather than learning to deal with unpleasant things, we'll just burn them out of our minds. What a stupendous idea, and by stupendous, I mean stupid.

So rather than learning to deal with unpleasant things, we'll just burn them out of our minds. What a stupendous idea, and by stupendous, I mean stupid.

This is for PTSD, things like being tortured for years or watching your best friend be mutilated in the streets by a drug cartel. Memories that you normally wouldn't wish to continue living with. You can suppress memories without shock therapy, however it can take years to cope with the suppressed memories. I would be concerned with shock therapy possibly replacing one traumatic experience with another, or re-experiencing past events, as PSTD can have very lucid hallucinations. It is much better to have those memories replaced with the surrounding comfort of family and friends wherever possible.

my mother-in law has had this done several times, i dont know all the details but it dose work for the short term.

modern ECT is nothing like you see in the old movies btw
the patent is given a general anesthetic and is not awake for the procedure
and voltages are much lower and more targeted

Interesting, might be why it has been effective on those with bi-polar disorder.

On the flip side, nazi therapy probably is dramatic enough so you forget the other horrible stuff lol

So rather than learning to deal with unpleasant things, we'll just burn them out of our minds.
Get buttsexed for a couple weeks by some rednecks in a Florida swamp lodge and come back to us and tell us how you prefer therapy to just having the memory wiped.... Mmmhmm.

Then again, perhaps the shock therapy doesn't work at all, but the patients that are being subjected to it over and over just agree that they are healed so people will stop shocking them.

I guess if you could use MRI to find the exact brain cells active during recall of a bad memory, you could zap that one spot. Problem is, not much is really known about the brains self defense mechanisms, you could be causing more harm in the long run, or you could be totally ineffective after the brain repairs itself (I would not be surprised if there isn't some form of automated 'data backup' and 'restore' method in the brain, one that goes to work when you sleep.)

RIAA / MPAA has been waiting for this to mature I bet. Get your head wiped of all those easy to remember songs and movie scenes. And then you can re-buy them again... and again... And if you DONT submit yourself for a yearly "US Artists Protection and Patriotic Refresh".. well then Homeland Gestapo will come a-knocking. :D

Absolute F'n insanity.

Doctor prescribed electrical lobotomy.

What is this? 1910-1950 all over again?

Back