Overclocking a 4770K on a MSI Z87-G43

MeatballCB

Weaksauce
Been having a bear of a time getting my new CPU to take any type of overclock, but it could be me just me not setting things up right. Here's the basics of the system:

i7-4770K (Batch 3313B373)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
MSI Z87-G43 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Corsair HX850W PSU

Best I've been able to do is get 4.2 Ghz running stable at 1.2v, but it does start getting hot running Prime95, hitting high 80's to 90C after about 20 minutes.

I'll be honest, I haven't messed much with anything other than the core multiplier and the core voltage settings even though there's a lot of other settings I could tweak.

Should I just be happy with 4.2/1.2v? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Its my understanding that haswell doesn't like to OC very high, with 4.5ghz+ taking ~1.3v on average. 4.2ghz is pretty good, IIRC haswell is about 15% higher IPC than sandy bridge, which would make your 4.2ghz haswell equal to about 4.8ghz sandy.

I was able to OC to 4.4 @ 1.275 using adaptive. +/- on auto. Memory is running at 1866 @ 1.6v. I am suing an ASUS ROG motherboard though.

I tried going 4.6 @ 1.2v then stepped it down until I got it to boot windows. Then I started bumping up the voltage and multiplier until I got a stable OC. I was able to get 4.5 to boot windows, but to get it stable I had to go over 1.3v which I wasn't comfortable doing with only a h100i cooler

Last edited:
I'm at 4.55Ghz @ 1.250v, Adaptive Off, Batch 3313B775. I'm running a Corsair H110 push/pull.

Haswell isn't the greatest overclocking chip but 4.2 is on the lower end. Maybe you can try running Manual voltage adjustment and see if that helps.

The first thing I would have to say is prime95 and Aida are not good programs to test Haswell. These programs do not test the memory controller or the memory volt regs on the chip. You will find that the temps will get a lot higher on Lynx as it will test those as well. With that out of the way i will all so say that my OC experience with these chips are on Asrock mother boards but these setting and tips should apply. Ok down to the settings. There are few setting that will help any OC. First never disable the speedstep technology or the turbo boost. 2nd disable the CPU integrated VR Faults and CPU integrated VR efficiency Mode. 3rd set your memory settings or a XMP profile is your memory has them. a memtest would be smart after you have the OC settings in before any other testing. Also disable all the C states. Now for voltages (this is for 4.2). To start with set the vcore to override mode. Now set the vcore to 1.125V with a offset voltage of 0.060V. Then set the Cache or Ring voltage to override mode. now set the cache/ring voltage to 1.125 with a offset of 0.060. For higher OCs like 4.4 or 4.5 just up the vcore and cache/ring voltages. Leave the offset voltages at 0.060. I have 4.5 running with a Vcore and cache/ring voltage of 1.175 with an offset of .060 on both. I hope this helps. Pm me if you have any questions

Last edited:
Seems your chip is on the lower end of the OC spectrum, if you're up for a delid and retim, you might be able to squeeze out a couple hundred more MHz.

The first thing I would have to say is prime95 and Aida are not good programs to test Haswell. These programs do not test the memory controller or the memory volt regs on the chip. You will find that the temps will get a lot higher on Lynx as it will test those as well. With that out of the way i will all so say that my OC experience with these chips are on Asrock mother boards but these setting and tips should apply. Ok down to the settings. There are few setting that will help any OC. First never disable the speedstep technology or the turbo boost. 2nd disable the CPU integrated VR Faults and CPU integrated VR efficiency Mode. 3rd set your memory settings or a XMP profile is your memory has them. a memtest would be smart after you have the OC settings in before any other testing. Also disable all the C states. Now for voltages (this is for 4.2). To start with set the vcore to override mode. Now set the vcore to 1.125V with a offset voltage of 0.060V. Then set the Cache or Ring voltage to override mode. now set the cache/ring voltage to 1.125 with a offset of 0.060. For higher OCs like 4.4 or 4.5 just up the vcore and cache/ring voltages. Leave the offset voltages at 0.060. I have 4.5 running with a Vcore and cache/ring voltage of 1.175 with an offset of .060 on both. I hope this helps. Pm me if you have any questions

Thank you, here is what I was about to post before I saw your reply:

Hey guys, back in the day here on hardforum i found a guide for my old motherboard (965p ds3) that explained every single overclocking bios setting.

I can't seem to find such a thing for this generation, does anyone have an OC focused overview of Haswell bios settings? I find lots of info but none of it actually tells me what settings are optimal, do I really have to figure things out for myself this time around?

I'm on a Z87E and I can hit the 4.8 auto overclock easily with my H90 cooler, but that's crazy voltage so thanks for giving me tweaking tips.

Back