Kim Dotcom Snitched On Rival File-Sharing Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Given that Dotcom has helped authorities bust other file-sharing sites before, I don't find this too hard to believe.

Three months before federal authorities shuttered Megaupload and indicted its top seven executives, the file-sharing site’s founder, Kim Dotcom, urged PayPal not to do business with rival sites because of their “criminal activity,” according to a 200-page document Virginia federal prosecutors unveiled today.

Don't care, the guy is a sleaze bag and I will not support him in anything he does.

Government has too much reach into other countries. How can anyone say other countries have any power now. Other than the big countries out there, the US can just bring their troops and ships to almost any country to bring down anyone they want. Gotta be in a completely exiled country in order to be really safe these days from the over reaching hand of the US.

Don't care, the guy is a sleaze bag and I will not support him in anything he does.

I've met Kim Dotcom before. He goes by Kimble on IRC and his reputation precedes him. He is incredibly egotistical and uses his money as his credibility with people. He comes across as a child who happily swipes his parents credit card though.. it's really his money.

Not at all a surprise. They probably offered him a hamburger if he'd talk and it was around lunch time so, you know, he caved in and did what was necessary to obtain calories.

It's interesting how popular opinion of Dotcom seems to shift from hero to villain on a whim.

I like the guy. He was a strong voice against the GCSB privacy law controversy here in NZ and he'll always have my respect for that. Even if it was inevitable for the legislation to be passed anyway.

still not sure who this dude is only ever see his name on news posts on this forum lol, could google him but seems like its not really worth the time to find out who he is lol

still not sure who this dude is only ever see his name on news posts on this forum lol, could google him but seems like its not really worth the time to find out who he is lol

He ran a file sharing site in New Zealand who refuses to implement copyright take-down procedures when someone uses his site to trade pirated software and media files.

He would remove visible links to files when called on by take-down notices, but if you knew the direct links to the items you're after, they're still there.

He was arrested for violating DMCA laws by American forces on New Zealand soil.

He's a hypocrite, claiming he was in the right, but tattling on his competitions.

It's interesting how popular opinion of Dotcom seems to shift from hero to villain on a whim.
It just depends on the title of the thread which people are posting, I think from person to person opinions don't change that much. I've always thought he was a douche. Douchy things happened to him and maybe he's spoken out against some bad things, but I still think at heart he is a douche, and have maintained that viewpoint throughout.

He ran a file sharing site in New Zealand who refuses to implement copyright take-down procedures when someone uses his site to trade pirated software and media files.

He would remove visible links to files when called on by take-down notices, but if you knew the direct links to the items you're after, they're still there.

He was arrested for violating DMCA laws by American forces on New Zealand soil.

He's a hypocrite, claiming he was in the right, but tattling on his competitions.

mmmm dam really not worth any time i see

sorry you had to type that out lol

Government has too much reach into other countries. How can anyone say other countries have any power now. Other than the big countries out there, the US can just bring their troops and ships to almost any country to bring down anyone they want. Gotta be in a completely exiled country in order to be really safe these days from the over reaching hand of the US.
The real power is in the banks and control of the world trade currency, the actual physical force is just one of a myriad of tools. I believe one popular method is to simply prop up your closest enemies or crap on your interests economically if you don't comply.

Legally, yes.

Anywho, I don't think my opinion of him has changed. He's a dick, and not exactly a do good guy... never has been. But what he does, he does against people I hate. So fun stuff.

Oh god, this silly article is even more biased then that piece of shit Ars published yesterday. To say they're reporting what the US government wants to them to report is an understatement. If they real journalist, why don't they contact the guy. They never do that. It's unthinkable.

The guy "broke" laws in a country he's never been if you're an US company and operate in a different country you're liable to US laws, right? Just ask google. To hell with this hegemony.

Oh god, this silly article is even more biased then that piece of shit Ars published yesterday. To say they're reporting what the US government wants to them to report is an understatement. If they real journalist, why don't they contact the guy. They never do that. It's unthinkable.

The guy "broke" laws in a country he's never been if you're an US company and operate in a different country you're liable to US laws, right? Just ask google. To hell with this hegemony.

Intellectual property laws apply to WTO members of which New Zealand is a member of.

Back