The Calculations Behind The $652k File-Sharing Damages Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know an easy way to avoid huge fines like this. Don't pirate movies and the courts can't make an example out of you. Ta-da! :D

The 28-year-old was ordered to pay $652,000 in damages for the unauthorized distribution of just one of the movies in the case. For the other 517 the man was said to have shared he was handed a suspended jail sentence and ordered to complete 160 hours of community service.

Plaintiff Lawyer "We've calculated that the actions taken by the defendant have resulted in damages in excess of [raises pinky to mouth] 1 .. million.. dollars! mwahahaha!"
Judge "How did you arrive at this number?"
Plaintiff Lawyer "We hired a credible consultant."
Judge "That's good enough for me."

too bad hollywood doesn't make anything good anymore. I don't care to download ever again.

simple way to avoid that don't distribute, avoid p2p because they'll slap you down with distribution which is a ton worse.

too bad hollywood doesn't make anything good anymore. I don't care to download ever again.

So much truth in this, not even PC games.

I downgraded my Internet connection two months ago becuase I don't download anything anymore.

I totally agree!

How are the movie makers, stars, etc supposed to live on the meager wages of a movie?!

I love how only 25% would spend money but 100% cost must be applied. Working for the Movie studios legal department seems to be more about spinning fiction into something you can convince a court is a hard fact.

But then again if you are stupid enough to to think the internet in anonymous and you will get away with giving away other people stuff, you deserve what you get.

I love penalties that are much harsher than befitting the crime. That is the only way to deter repeat offenses.

Right... when one lies the nation into war or into an over-expensive health plan, one gets to stay president. Just don't upload a movie... :rolleyes:

I wonder what the movie was. I will laugh if it was Getaway.

I think a similar case in Germany ended up with under $100 judgement. That's what lobby money can buy in a corrupt system I guess, lopsided laws that make no sense.

So much truth in this, not even PC games.

I downgraded my Internet connection two months ago becuase I don't download anything anymore.

I get, and understand, that lot of the movies Hollywood is dropping lately aren't near the quality they should be, but what, pray tell, are you doing then if you aren't downloading anything? Again, I understand quality is lacking, but your comment comes across as quite apathetic and almost elitist.

Personally, with how cheap games have been lately, I've just bought them through Steam sales for less than $10 lately. I download my TV shows simply to watch them without commercials and so that I can watch them elsewhere, other than home. I have a lot to keep up a lot of folks do I most imagine, but downloading my TV shows lets me watch the shows on my schedule because the network websites aren't mobile friendly. At least Netflix and AP are getting better for proving that medium though.

Back