Chromebook remote desktop with m-ITX (Multi-part question)

What should I get?

• Laptop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • m-ITX Desktop for home and Chromebook for mobile (RD & WOL must be possible)

• Other

• Total voters

Poi25

n00b
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker but first time poster. I have a ThinkPad T400 from 2008 and although it still runs great and is capable of doing most everything I throw at it (2.4 GHz Core2Duo & 8 GB RAM), I'm getting to the point where I'm ready for more modern specs, faster processing in photoshop/illustrator, and a lot lower latency in my DAW.

With that being said, I'm a college student. If the setup I have in mind is feasible, I want to pull the trigger on it. Here it is:

Regarding bang for my buck, I could get a much more powerful machine as a desktop and have a Chromebook for my mobile computing and note taking in class. However, I know there will be moments where I need a Windows app or something off my desktop, so that's where Google remote desktop will come in. I don't want my desktop on 24/7, so I was wondering if any of you have experience with, or know if I can initiate WAKE ON LAN over the internet and through a chromebook to turn on and then connect to my desktop?

I will be living at an apartment complex where internet is provided, so I doubt I'll have access to the main router.

I'm capable regarding networking if I have instructions, but by no means am I a networking pro. I've modded routers, networked houses, that sort of stuff.

Finally, if I may ask, what's everyone's opinion? Does this seem like a good plan, or should I just grab as powerful of a laptop as I can afford, have one device, and call it a day?

Back