ASUS MARS 760 4GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fellas over at Legit Reviews have taken the ASUS MARS 760 4GB dual GPU video card around the block a few times today to see what it is made of.

The ASUS ROG MARS 760 is a single card that features two of NVIDIA GK104 'Kepler' GPU's, so it is basically dual GeForce GTX 760 card running in SLI. ASUS claims that their MARS 760 card can outperform the NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan and that this card is aimed at 2560x1440 gamers. This card isn't really going to work well for those 4K displays or large multi-monitor setups as there is just 2GB of frame buffer allotted to each GPU. This card has a total of 4GB of memory, but that memory is not shared between the two GPU's just like a traditional NVIDIA SLI multi-GPU setup.

I just bought a 27" dell monitor a month ago (before my MB died in a bios update that went bad, OOPS) so this card seems tailor made for me... I would be interested to know whether it is all that and a stack of pancakes besides. I'll read the review, but forgive me for saying this, I'd rather read it here, although it means more work for you all.

Too expensive, better off going for a 780GTX or even better a R290X

They crippled the shit out of it by limiting it to 2GB/GPU, imo. No good reason to not be 4GB/GPU on there and be around $575-625. That would allow for one hell of nice performing 4K capable budget-minded quad SLI setup setup by catering to any and all higher-resolution enthusiasts with the money to buy 2 of them.

They crippled the shit out of it by limiting it to 2GB/GPU, imo. No good reason to not be 4GB/GPU on there and be around $575-625. That would allow for one hell of nice performing 4K capable budget-minded quad SLI setup setup by catering to any and all higher-resolution enthusiasts with the money to buy 2 of them.

Sorry buddy but they didn't cripple shit. They engineered this card to run as they expected. It's people on forums that think they need more vram for no good reason even though all testing all sites do point to the fact that almost all games under 4k resolution is not hitting a vram brick wall even at 2 gigs unless heavily modded games like Skyrim. And to any idiot that says... FUTUREPROOF.... dahhhhhh (smacks forehead)

MOAH VRAMMmmmmssss.... FUTUREPROOF!!! More vrams is faster!!!! LOLZ

When I play Neverwinter Online at 1600p, EVGA Precision shows my VRAM usage around 1800+ and lots of stuff in-game take some time to load (when running a GTX 760) -- (my NWO is not modded in any way). So there are some games that require 2GB+ out there.

When I play Neverwinter Online at 1600p, EVGA Precision shows my VRAM usage around 1800+ and lots of stuff in-game take some time to load (when running a GTX 760) -- (my NWO is not modded in any way). So there are some games that require 2GB+ out there.

I play at 1600p and seen my usage get up to 2 gigs of vram without a stutter or a hitch. Also seen games stutter and hitch with AA turned up but only use 1 gig of vram and my fps took a hit. It doesn't mean squat. People are overhyping this vram issue even though all the reviewers like sites like this say otherwise. 2 gigs is still relevent. Also if you have a 1600p plus monitor, you'd be looking at a higher end card anyways.... Faster gpu, more performance. More vram.... more money for nothing.

Sorry buddy but they didn't cripple shit. They engineered this card to run as they expected.

Key words: AS THEY EXPECTED.

Asus goes with the cheaper 2GB/GPU and says this $650 GPU is targeted for <= 1440p res. What sense does that make? Who the hell (in their right mind) is going to drop $650 on a GPU that has been engineered and runs as expected with a 1440p or less single display? What the hell did they even put an SLI link connector on this for, then? Remember...this is an enthusiast part.

Makes way more sense to dump $650 into a single 290X, 780, or 780ti so the user can get some actual lifespan out of their purchase, and have a real multi-GPU upgrade path than go with this crippled joke.

Last edited:
Enjoying my 290x that i got for $350. Can't understand how this particular video card makes sense at that price.

why do we keep getting a new 760 MARS thread for every review? makes more sense to just have one thread on this card and add the reviews there.

Back