Redesigned Mac Pro Goes On Sale Tomorrow

I just don't see these catching on in a big way., Kinda like the Cube was a flop. Pros like the ability to add shit what they need it for their primary workstation. This is just another knife in the back to the people that kept apple alive for many years.

Looks like it belongs on a vacuum cleaner...They couldn't put the power socket on the back with rest of the damn cables?

One thing I'm confused is at the lack of a consumer version of this: replace the Xeon with a 4770 or equivalent and the FirePro cards with a 290x or equivalent

This would fill a nice gap between the iMac and the Mac Pro

One thing I'm confused is at the lack of a consumer version of this: replace the Xeon with a 4770 or equivalent and the FirePro cards with a 290x or equivalent

Come now, Apple isn't in the business of making sense.

there's no gap. :p

The imac already comes with the option of an i7 quad and a 780m. I think the market for gamers who want better specs than that and want to pay +$2500 for it is pretty slim.

The imac already comes with the option of an i7 quad and a 780m. I think the market for gamers who want better specs than that and want to pay +$2500 for it is pretty slim.

That's kinda what I thought. You don't buy a Mac to game, since that is kinda stupid, so that whole market isn't really applicable to Macs. If you do things like CAD, you probably want workstation grade GPU's, which the Pro delivers.

You think this thing actually caters to the pro market? More like the old rich guy that pretends he is a creative pro. Most of the money making creative guys I know have jumped ship and are happier because of it. My I helped a friend in South Lake Tahoe (amazing designer) build up a crazy box and he couldn't believe how much he got for the money.

That's kinda what I thought. You don't buy a Mac to game, since that is kinda stupid, so that whole market isn't really applicable to Macs. If you do things like CAD, you probably want workstation grade GPU's, which the Pro delivers.

I have never met a CAD person that runs on MacOS. Ever.

i dunno, seems like a good design if its done for cooling.
fan @ top blowing hot air out forcing cold air from the bottom to enter.... well i'm assuming that it's not passively cooled. :eek:

I want to come up with the most stupid, hillbilly thing to possibly say about this Macintosh.

If you turn it upside down, does the spit fall out? :)

Now you try!

For those that use Mac's for professional reasons, I don't see them going for the aesthetics. They go for the power and the fact that it runs OSX and their programs. It could be a beige box for them and they wouldn't care. Throw it under the desk, they have work to do.

For those other "Pro's", they want the look and they want it to sit right up on top of their desk for all to see that they are using the new Mac Pro cylinder. Right next to their newest Macbook Pro Air iPod with Super iMouse. ;)

For those that use Mac's for professional reasons, I don't see them going for the aesthetics. They go for the power and the fact that it runs OSX and their programs. It could be a beige box for them and they wouldn't care. Throw it under the desk, they have work to do.

For those other "Pro's", they want the look and they want it to sit right up on top of their desk for all to see that they are using the new Mac Pro cylinder. Right next to their newest Macbook Pro Air iPod with Super iMouse. ;)

Like I said, Pros want power, flexibility and options.

Most "Pro" designers/CAD folks can't tell the difference between VGA and CD-ROM. This is all about looks and fancy numbers.

Does it come with this??

138404-usbmouse_original.jpg

I actually think a spherical design could be good from a cooling perspective. Rectangular boxes are shit for airflow and cooling. However, I don't think Apple really tried to go down that road.

*cylindrical, not spherical, damned lack of an edit button!

Well, at least they're getting closer to fitting the actual shape of the piece of shit computers they make.

me neither and i know a lot of them...

i even have some architects who are dying for Autocad to come out on mac so they can buy a mac :rolleyes:

Autocad is out for Mac, has been for quite some time

we run Building Design Suite ultimate and Infrastructure here on parallels, runs fine even for large models

ITT: Everyone in here hates Macs, yet don't realize they're not the target audience.

Oh. I KNOW I'm not the target audience.

I actually know how to build or buy a computer system that meets my needs/wants.
I don't need some yuppie schmuck company/culture to dictate what I "need".
I don't need an inflexible platform and refuse to accept a cookie-cutter solution.
I refuse to accept "like it or lump it" when a vendor produces a product that doesn't meet my needs.

Things I like:
Cooling design, t-bolt2 ports. Dual graphics out of the box.

Things I don't like:
No way to add 2nd cpu; The choice of dual graphics (ie, none). The lack of expansion beyond tbolt2.

It's a mixed bag for me. I've been using macpro's for years at work and while this will work, it's a bit of a let down.

I'd rather build a hackintosh if there was a mobo with dual xeon support and a coupld of tbolt2 ports.

I really don't care about the looks. It doesn't even need a case for all I care. Oh well... As long as I'm not paying for it.

Like I said, Pros want power, flexibility and options.

I work roadie band shows all the time. The onstage audio world usually has 2-3 Mac Pro towers stuffed into roadie cases on wheels to do the work. TrashcanATX is ill suited for those scenarios.

Wanna make bets on how long till some graphic designer type accidentally throws his starbucks cup in one of these?

I'm guessing 4 days.

Back