The Bitcoin market has crahed, get ready for a flood of cheap cards on eBay.

I wouldn't say it crashed, BTC is still trading for $500+ and LTC is going for $15 when it was $8 for months. Values dropped a lot of because of China, I would expect it to pick back up somewhat. It's been volatile for years, this isn't anything new really.

If btc didn't go up & down you couldn't trade it very well could you? ;)

Seriously, how clueless can one individual be. You would be a horrible stock market trader. OMG IT DROPPED IN VALUE, QUICK SELL EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

Oh and cheap cards are a win-win for everyone.

That doesn't mean anything... Besides the big craze right now are litecoins...

Which have lost 50% value as of last week. I am still mining like a beast, LTC and FTC. Lower the price, the fewer the miners, the more for me. Mine and hold.

Which have lost 50% value as of last week. I am still mining like a beast, LTC and FTC. Lower the price, the fewer the miners, the more for me. Mine and hold.

This...Crashes are good for the long term miners :)

Considering "shadow banking" and the fact that Chinese want to use bitcoin to hide money from the government, I don't see this affecting the Chinese market much at all. I think the market overreacted, and it'll go back up.

I still would not touch a graphics card that had been used for mining unless it was discounted heavily. Its lifespan would be very suspect.

I'm not selling any of my cards, but you're right, some people that expected huge short term gains will probably start offloading cards.

I still would not touch a graphics card that had been used for mining unless it was discounted heavily. Its lifespan would be very suspect.

This is pure bollocks, that card won't die anytime in the near future... Easily be many generations of card releases before the thing died... This isn't a mechanical engine where bearing wear begins to degrade because lubrication breaks down ...

People have been spurting this nonsense ever since Overclocking cpu's came around... And it's been debunked.

Litecoins also crashed, You can just watch the network hashrate feor LTC, if it goes down get ready for used cards! :p

Litecoins also crashed, You can just watch the network hashrate feor LTC, if it goes down get ready for used cards! :p

PLEASE GO DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

I want difficulty down the tubes so I can hoard those little (lite)coins =)

I might actually invest 10k and see what happens.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

It's only affecting BTC right? So this literally has no affect on LTC with AMD cards.
So, this means nothing...

Seriously, how clueless can one individual be. You would be a horrible stock market trader. OMG IT DROPPED IN VALUE, QUICK SELL EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

Oh and cheap cards are a win-win for everyone.

Except the fact that there is nothing backing crypto currencies. With stocks, you will have fluctuation due to changes in the market, company, product, ect. What is changing crypto currencies? Who regulates it? Its a very grey area that I dont believe will ever be something substantial. Gives those people who are anti-government something to hope for. In the meantime, a few people will make some money and a few people will lose some money. Its up to each individual whether he takes that chance.

this post is pure LOL

I flogged a trio of unlocked, OCd 6950s at 120% for 3YEARS 24/7/365

BTC difficulty went through the roof, set the cards to folding at home and they are still running today

just lol

I welcome the cheap cards that will flood the market over the next few months. Gonna grab all I can, mine them, and resell them this April when BTC/LTC/FTC goes through the roof again.

The bitcoin crash isnt that big of a deal. The LTC:BTC exchange rate dropping 25% is pretty harsh though. It usually holds pretty steady.

The bitcoin crash isnt that big of a deal. The LTC:BTC exchange rate dropping 25% is pretty harsh though. It usually holds pretty steady.

It is for the dummies that were buying as of last week at 850USD. They just took a shower. lol.

I've had 0 of my mining cards fail and they're been mining for years. Never had to replace a fan either. It all depends on how hard you push them. Lowering the voltage makes mining significantly easier on the card.

I have my 5770's running at near stock clocks on 1.000V. Default voltage is 1.200V.
I have my 5830's running just slightly below stock clocks but at 1.050V compared to 1.163V stock.
I have my 6950 running fairly underclocked at 1.031V Versus the stock 1.100V.

9ycDkpN.png

^That's one of the 5770s. A continual 28% of max power 24/7 is NOT going to harm the card. They all measure between 26-30% max current, with the exception of the MSI Hawk which has a more robust VRM and is only at 19% max current.

Would one of my cards scare you?

You could argue that today's news in China is similar to a company who has had a really bad financial quarter/statement. There will always be countries apposing this because if people begin to switch off their currency, its obviously a problem.
If more and more countries begin to strike BitCoin and many other cryptos, eventually they will just go underground to a black market type scenario. I think the reason U.S. hasnt put a stop to this is because of all the bureaucracy in our government. To impose a law would take a long long time and there are more pressing issues.

hell yea! I could use another 7850XT. Or just a 280 will do

Good time to buy. The hype train is too big, so speculation will drive it right back up.

I think this is probably true... for a short time. But I think we're seeing the beginning of the end for BTC. If it's because it was the first cryptocurrency and some others will succeed time will only tell. It will probably turn into the kind of cat and mouse game that regulators have played with software pirates for so long and so yeah cryptocurrency probably isn't going to go anywhere. But BTC is probably doomed.

I could be wrong! But that's my suspicion anyway--I don't actually care one way or the other except that I'd prefer to be right if I stick my neck out on a controversial subject. I don't see anything morally wrong with cryptocurrency or for that matter with hiding shit from your government necessarily. But the connection between consumer graphics cards and cryptocurrency is weird and I suspect, in time, miners/coindevs themselves will invent ways to keep the masses out of the pool and in the hands of specialized equipment owners only. New BTCs have already gone out of the reach of the general public in a very short time. The future cryptoblackmarket will not likely be friendly to electronics you can buy at Fry's, unless they need the masses for computing power, which crime syndicates, who are really who drove the demand for the coins themselves I think, wont need if they have plenty of their own weird ass crypto machines.

I think this is probably true... for a short time. But I think we're seeing the beginning of the end for BTC. If it's because it was the first cryptocurrency and some others will succeed time will only tell. It will probably turn into the kind of cat and mouse game that regulators have played with software pirates for so long and so yeah cryptocurrency probably isn't going to go anywhere. But BTC is probably doomed.

I could be wrong! But that's my suspicion anyway--I don't actually care one way or the other except that I'd prefer to be right if I stick my neck out on a controversial subject. I don't see anything morally wrong with cryptocurrency or for that matter with hiding shit from your government necessarily. But the connection between consumer graphics cards and cryptocurrency is weird and I suspect, in time, miners/coindevs themselves will invent ways to keep the masses out of the pool and in the hands of specialized equipment owners only. New BTCs have already gone out of the reach of the general public in a very short time. The future cryptoblackmarket will not likely be friendly to electronics you can buy at Fry's, unless they need the masses for computing power, which crime syndicates, who are really who drove the demand for the coins themselves I think, wont need if they have plenty of their own weird ass crypto machines.

That's precisely the reason why many of the altcoins use scrypt algos instead of SHA256... to be more consumer electronic friendly. The general reason that specialized hardware such as ASICs cannot be used on scrypt is that GPUs, produced on a large scale, have economics of scale to their benefit and process scrypt efficiently on their own. It's hard to justify spending potentially thousands on a specialized miner unless your power costs are egregious when you can build something for less (even with the existing shortage of cards).

If Bitcoin and other cryptos will continue to get pounded by this sort of news then people will get scared and sell, its how the markets work. Speculation drives companies out of business, its rather simple.

That's precisely the reason why many of the altcoins use scrypt algos instead of SHA256... to be more consumer electronic friendly. The general reason that specialized hardware such as ASICs cannot be used on scrypt is that GPUs, produced on a large scale, have economics of scale to their benefit and process scrypt efficiently on their own. It's hard to justify spending potentially thousands on a specialized miner unless your power costs are egregious when you can build something for less (even with the existing shortage of cards).

Am I missing something? The reason why there are no scrypt ASIC/FPGAs out is because scrypt is heavily memory intensive(My 290 runs 2.3GB while mining) + memory bandwidth intensive. SHA256 is more compute intensive and uses very little memory / bandwidth.

Am I missing something? The reason why there are no scrypt ASIC/FPGAs out is because scrypt is heavily memory intensive(My 290 runs 2.3GB while mining) + memory bandwidth intensive. SHA256 is more compute intensive and uses very little memory / bandwidth.

Correct and that is why GPUs, as is, acheive a far greater use for mining than research and developing specialized hardware when economics of scale are already achieved at mass production with the big name card manufactuers. ASICs can be developed for scrypt, sure, but from a cost-to-benefit ratio, it makes more sense to buy a GPU.

-content snip for length-

Would one of my cards scare you?

I can see both sides of the issue honestly. Someone coming into the market for a card might be tempted by the low prices of used mining cards but others may be warded off for the same issues any other used good has. For all the buyer knows the previous buyer, much like what you've done it seems, took good care of their hardware and besides potential wear/warranty questions remaining longevity is a moot issue. On the other hand they could have instead used and abused them worse then a rental car before knowingly trying to dump a clunker before it fully dies. So I wouldn't say its necessarily a good or a bad idea but like when purchasing anything used the buyer should keep their wits about them.

Correct and that is why GPUs, as is, acheive a far greater use for mining than research and developing specialized hardware when economics of scale are already achieved at mass production with the big name card manufactuers. ASICs can be developed for scrypt, sure, but from a cost-to-benefit ratio, it makes more sense to buy a GPU.

I disagree, it was the same for BTC, the ASICs are all custom made for BTC mining, so it won't be any different. When you're paying $3,000 for a BTC miner, I doubt the manufacturer would flinch for spending an extra $200 for some ram on there :p. If a 280x with 3GB of GDDR 5 sells for $299, how much cost is the ram itself?

Back