Facebook Can See What You Type Even If It Isn't Posted

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now this is a bit creepy. Makes you wonder if Facebook saw what this guy was typing. :D

Facebook has said that it is within its terms of service to see what users are typing even when the status or comment is never posted on the social network. The company confirmed that it can track users' unpublished posts after two Facebook researchers disclosed that they had tracked the activity of about 5 million random Facebook users in the U.S. and England.

Doesn't strike me as surprising. At this point, if you've allowed yourself onto any social network, you should be full aware of the fact that they have their noses so far up your ass, they can tell what you ate last week.

Doesn't strike me as surprising. At this point, if you've allowed yourself onto any social network, you should be full aware of the fact that they have their noses so far up your ass, they can tell what you ate last week.

With custom video ads promoting the said product. "Liked Pizza Hut last week? Come back and get $2 off!". It'll happen. I should patent that idea, too.

Doesn't surprise me... but who gives a shit? Think about what you're going to type before you type it rather than typing it and then thinking about it.

Doesn't surprise me... but who gives a shit? Think about what you're going to type before you type it rather than typing it and then thinking about it.

That's just the way some people work and people do it all of the fucking time, so don't act like you're god's perfect gift to earth.

That's just the way some people work and people do it all of the fucking time, so don't act like you're god's perfect gift to earth.

God's perfect gift to earth? What the fuck are you smoking? I want some.

So it's cool with you if we permanently remove all text editing functions from your computer.... I mean, obviously no one ever needs the backspace key ;).

So it's cool with you if we permanently remove all text editing functions from your computer.... I mean, obviously no one ever needs the backspace key ;).

What are you on about? If I make an error in typing and have to delete it and retype it, I really don't give 2 fucks if someone sees it.

If you're typing something in to FB to begin with, you are typing it in for the world to see.

The only thing it affects is if you wrote something controversial enough to raise interest and then decided not to post it. I can deal with that, just don't write controversial things on facebook, I already don't do that.

If you really care that much, just don't prepare your messages on FB itself, prepare them elsewhere and copy/paste them.

their whole business model is based on this ... who is surprised here?

Why is everyone so upset? Hasn't Google been doing this ever since their active search bar?

Hooray for ajax?

No [H] member should be surprised by this. Every does the same with forms these days.

So we can use this to send nasty grams to the creepy FB staff without it having to show up on our FB pages... sweet!

So I'll confuse them by eating a Cartman burger which has the flavors of multiple fast food joints fused into one burger by some sort of super dutch over. :D But seriously, I can't see why people use Facebook any more unless they have a business to promote. E-mail and text work great for me. No need or desire for Facebook trash. If I join any social network again it will be Linkedin when I am closer to having my Bachelor's and Master's degrees finished.

Why is everyone so upset? Hasn't Google been doing this ever since their active search bar?

This. Can't stand this "feature" either. Until I press enter to submit the form, NOTHING should be transmitted from my end.

fuck no shit eh?
goddamn fuckers
funny how no anti virus software picks that up

If AV software were to check for this, it would break plenty of functionality for normal users. Just block JS if you're concerned about it.

The thing is, FB has no legitimate reason to do this. It's not a search form of any type. Unless they're planning some sort of auto-complete.

I can't believe this service hasn't gone out of business.

If you expected a social network with over a billion users and integrated deeply into many of the devices and services we use today to "go out of business" - you may just be retarded.

Going out of business may be a bit too extreme, but it's not unthinkable that they go the way of Myspace -- especially considering they are basically just Myspace 2.0 .

To quote WIkipedia, "From 2005 until early 2008, Myspace was the most visited social networking site in the world, and in June 2006 surpassed Google as the most visited website in the United States."

A sharp decline is more likely, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Facebook tends to do whatever they want, and eventually this will alienate enough people where they have mass exodus (my thoughts on the matter anyway).

Well, since facebook is now the most widely used engine for posting comments on news sites in the country and provides business support as well, yea, it's not like Myspace was. But it still doesn't mean it couldn't be supplanted by a competitor.

Well, since facebook is now the most widely used engine for posting comments on news sites in the country and provides business support as well, yea, it's not like Myspace was. But it still doesn't mean it couldn't be supplanted by a competitor.

I didn't mean that it was exactly like Myspace, I was just stating that it wasn't unprecedented for the number one social networking site to be overtaken. The more realistic option is that something newer, and better comes along with that hip feeling that Facebook had when it was new and relatively ad free.

I agree it is too far engrained to fail, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to lose a lot of registered users. Not to mention, how many are fake, duplicate or inactive accounts? Those are the statistics that I would care to see.

lol i wouldn't be surprised if they keylogged everything you typed outside of facebook in other tabs. I bet all this information is going to a nsa database also.

Now this is a bit creepy. Makes you wonder if Facebook saw what this guy was typing. :D

Well of course they can. If Google can display search results as you type, then clearly FB can see what you're typing as you type it. They can see what your mouse hovers over as scroll through the page and I suspect their web apps can see what posts you stop on. If you want maximum privacy you might try mobile page, with javascript disabled. That probably would prevent them from seeing what you're seeing/typing before you post.

This is old Web 2.0 tech, it's called AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML/JSON) and everyone does it.

What are you on about? If I make an error in typing and have to delete it and retype it, I really don't give 2 fucks if someone sees it.

If you're typing something in to FB to begin with, you are typing it in for the world to see.

The only thing it affects is if you wrote something controversial enough to raise interest and then decided not to post it. I can deal with that, just don't write controversial things on facebook, I already don't do that.

If you really care that much, just don't prepare your messages on FB itself, prepare them elsewhere and copy/paste them.

Are you drunk? I made perfect sense.

I kinda figured they did....There's enough sites, especially one recently, that say things like "1 person(s) are typing", or "So-and-So is typing..." I think AOL did that years ago with AIM, and I wouldn't be surprised if they knew what you were typing all the way back then either.

I've had one too many instances of accidentally submitting things before they were ready, so I tend to write in Notepad first, then copy the text to where it needs to go. Do something like that if you're worried about some nefarious Facebook agent tracking what you think! That is, until they integrate Facebook into the Windows kernel, then all bets are off! Imagine the tandem team of Facebook/Microsoft....you thought always-on Kinect would be bad, time to duct tape your now always-on webcams!

Are you drunk? I made perfect sense.

You made perfect sense with your completely illogical inference. :p

Yes, I don't care that someone sees what you type in to a text box intended to display something to the world.

That somehow means I'm ok with removing all text editing functions in every program and don't think anyone would need the backspace key?

Derr, yeah... that's a perfectly logical jump... not :p

Um... Doesn't what you type into search engines get sent immediately to give search suggestions? What's the difference? There is no privacy at all on the internet.

Back