ASUS ROG MARS 760 4GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
PC Perspective just put the finishing touches on their review of the ASUS ROG MARS 760 4GB dual GPU graphics card this afternoon. Hit the link to check out the full review.

In comparison to the GTX 780 Ti, the MARS 760 is a great option for single panel gaming at 2560x1440. It performs better in our testing and costs less. The other two cards present a more difficult decision though as they fall on the other side of the price scale. For $130 less you can get the GTX 780, a card that no doubt performs lower than MARS 760 but does so as a single GPU, leaving room for great SLI scaling in the future. The 3GB frame buffer will help with 4K gaming in the future as well if you think you'll go that route.

hmm we already had one thread about this from the techpowerup review. its a complete ripoff for 630 bucks. you can buy 760 sli for 400 bucks and if only one slot then a 780 can be had for 420 bucks. a 780 is not much slower and will typically have plenty of ocing headroom plus more vram and no scaling issues to ever worry about. and heck if 630 bucks is not a problem then why not spend 70 bucks more for the 780 ti and get better more consistent performance with again tons of headroom, more vram and no scaling issues to worry about.

I'm ready for these stupid prices to come down some. I'm also ready for whatever agreement third party manufacturers have with ATI to withhold their product from the market so ATI can reap all the sales upon initial release to expire. I want moar price war!

I'm ready for these stupid prices to come down some. I'm also ready for whatever agreement third party manufacturers have with ATI to withhold their product from the market so ATI can reap all the sales upon initial release to expire. I want moar price war!
you need a new cpu before worrying about a faster card. ;)

I'm waiting on the next Intel cycle. I'm hoping it's much more of a bump in performance than this most recent one was.
yeah but where you are coming from, a 4770 or 4670 would be a massive jump. I am ready to upgrade my cpu too but really don't have any worthwhile options.

Yeah, i'm not feeling the pricetag on this card. Yet it may be okay for asus since MARS are usually extremely limited run cards - IIRC the Fermi variant only had 1000 cards produced. Maybe that same situation repeated itself, because I can't see this being a mass market item given the price. Maybe asus produced just enough given their internal calculations for meeting asus fanboy demand. :p

yeah but where you are coming from, a 4770 or 4670 would be a massive jump. I am ready to upgrade my cpu too but really don't have any worthwhile options.

Eh, it's not gonna be out of this world. I did testing with my W3520 @ 4ghz vs my 3770K(stock, but it's 3.9ghz so pretty much the same)...and there were almost 0 differences in FPS, which is why I just stopped testing it since it was pointless. It would be quite a waste to throw out around $500 for a marginal upgrade.

Eh, it's not gonna be out of this world. I did testing with my W3520 @ 4ghz vs my 3770K(stock, but it's 3.9ghz so pretty much the same)...and there were almost 0 differences in FPS, which is why I just stopped testing it since it was pointless. It would be quite a waste to throw out around $500 for a marginal upgrade.
we have nothing but crappy cpu choices right now for those looking to upgrade from sandy. my cpu has pissed me off much more than my gpu ever has. I can turn down graphical settings to easily stay above 60 fps but thats not always so easy to do when the cpu is problem. several places in Hitman Absolution just plummeted to 40 fps which was hideous with vsync on. Crysis 3 pegged my cpu too a few times and Fallout New Vegas really irritated me as it would not stay above 60 fps in many spots either. even Far Cry 3 will not fully use my gpu in many areas an wont even do 99% usage unless I make the game unplayable by cranking the AA. same goes for some areas of Metro Last Light as my gpu usage rarely hits 98% even on almost unplayable settings. some of that is just poor optimization but bottom line is that more cpu power would help a lot especially in the first few games I mentioned.

For Fallout look into the stutter remover thing. It really works, and also make sure you run it off of an SSD, that eliminated 99% of the stuttering for me. I really enjoyed this video for that whole process(really nice series in general for Fallout modding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONiXNbwSt0

As for Far Cry 3, that game is known to be poorly optimized and have issues with graphic card usage.

Honestly, I think most of our problems are with lazy/inefficient/shitty programming.

For Fallout look into the stutter remover thing. It really works, and also make sure you run it off of an SSD, that eliminated 99% of the stuttering for me. I really enjoyed this video for that whole process(really nice series in general for Fallout modding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONiXNbwSt0

As for Far Cry 3, that game is known to be poorly optimized and have issues with graphic card usage.

Honestly, I think most of our problems are with lazy/inefficient/shitty programming.
no it was the actual cpu causing some stutter from dropping below 60 fps in Fallout NV. it only uses 2 cores and needs insanely fast speeds to keep framerate up in many areas. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1645892 more people would have noticed this more if not for the game stutter you are referring to.

and yes its usually shitty optimization but again throwing more cpu power at those spots in games will fix it.

Back