10 Worst Video Game Consoles Of All Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
This list of the worst video game consoles of all time could easily be called "a bunch of consoles you've never heard of" and still be accurate.

In the relatively brief history of video game consoles, we have seen many more failures than successes. Consoles have failed for various reasons, from poor game selection to being overpriced. However, some fail because they were simply not very good.

I've heard of nearly every console on this list. Some of them really should not be on the list. The Gizmondo, CDi, Virtual Boy and Pippin should be on every list of every "worst" console, though.

I worked for Philips when the CD-i tech came out. The picture was the last incarnation of the tech.
The most -amazing- thing about the CD-i was with an upgrade module you could play back MPEG1 video movies from a CD-i movie CD. This was BEFORE DVDs. (this was 1992 remember)
The video looked neat because it lacked analog noise of a video tape; but it was chunky too because of the low resolution.
The horrible controller was an understatement! It was just about unusable. It had a 'thumbstick' controller that was IR and had terrible lag.
I owned one of the first gen units ($700 but hey I was an employee),
The built in D/A converters were also crap; the audio quality was not better than tape if you listened to CDs. I had a older CDC875 multi disc player that blew it away on fidelity.

I agree, the 3DO wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't amazing, and I didn't want one, but it wasn't that bad. I had all of the cool games from its library on the PC anyway. Still though, you could do worse.

I agree 3DO wasnt that bad, we couldnt afford one but we used to rent it all the time.

Well compared to other systems that were left out, the game.com wasn't all that bad. At least the damn thing had " some " decent games on it lol!

nothing new on the list. those consoles are on almost every other worst console list ever made.

Well compared to other systems that were left out, the game.com wasn't all that bad. At least the damn thing had " some " decent games on it lol!

Did you actually play the game.com versions of those games? They were awful, man, awful.

They left off the Atari 7800. Fucking disaster.

Yea, honestly this deserved to be #1 on the list.

The Sega 32X doesn't belong as it wasn't a console. It was nothing more than an add on. It was never bad, it just never really added anything. Either way though it was not a console.

I would have to disagree with the 3DO as well. Again it's only fault was being prohibitively expensive. I can think of a few other consoles that were Far worse.

I loved my 3d0 only complaint was lack of games. System itself felt ahead of its time and never really picked up.

I also protest the 3dO being on here. I don't think just because a console isn't wildly popular it's automatically bad. It was actually a major leap forward, it was one of the first consoles to be able to offer cutscenes.. in actual live video. The controllers were decent, and it had a few ok titles. If there would have been more dealmaking titles, the price would have eventually fallen, and perhaps it would have made it. Virtual Boy, however... disaster. Epilepsy Boy maybe?

3DO doesn't deserve to be on that list. It was ok, just the execution and timing was wrong; aside from the pricing.

I was a proud 3DO owner. I was probably a bit on the dumb side paying that much for it, but that was really the only issue with it: it's price.

i had a 3do, cdi and virtual boy.

Virtual boy was actually pretty damn good once you got used to the eye-rape. The warioland game on it is probably the best warioland game.

To think I owned a 32x and 5 games for it once...I wonder if they'd have had any value if I kept them.

Virtuaboy, you were just too great for this world.

i had a 3do, cdi and virtual boy.

Virtual boy was actually pretty damn good once you got used to the eye-rape. The warioland game on it is probably the best warioland game.

yeah, I actually have a virtual boy sitting here in my living room. It wasn't too horrible once you got use to the stopping playing every so often. I enjoyed it.

The 3DO wasn't even close to being as bad as those other items. As long as they're counting major add-ons, the Jaguar CD might be the worst console of all time. There were only like 10 games for it and of those, all but 2-3 were lousy old CD-based arcade games like Dragon's Lair.
Plus, it was an add-on for a system that sucked from day 1 and was already on death's door.

i loved my 7800, the disaster of the 7800 was not upgrading the sound chip. that was the dumb move to me.

How can the RCA Studio II not make that list? It didn't even have joysticks, you had to grope on the actual console for the game controls, sharing it with another person sometimes too. So bad. I never owned one, but I knew a kid who did, that thing was a marvelous hunk of junk.

Also the Mattel Hyperscan, yet another pile of junk.

^^ the Atari 7800 was a good console, and it had some of the best arcade game ports for the time. I still own mine along with my VCS. But it was poorly handled by Atari, who was focusing on their computer division at the time. They cancelled games and neglected the home console division so severely that the 7800 release intended for 1984 (two years before NES) instead got pushed to 1986 which killed it. Thank you Jack Tramiel.

The Sega 32X doesn't belong as it wasn't a console. It was nothing more than an add on. It was never bad, it just never really added anything. Either way though it was not a console.
I have a 32X from when I was a kid, and I liked a lot of games that were released on it. Though I also have a Sega CD, and with 3 power adapters it was a huge nightmare. But the reason the console failed was that Sega should have never released it when the Saturn was coming out, and yes it's a console.

I would have to disagree with the 3DO as well. Again it's only fault was being prohibitively expensive. I can think of a few other consoles that were Far worse.
The 3DO failed cause it was too expensive. The PS3 nearly failed for the same reason, and Sony went crazy trying to drop the price of that thing. Interesting fact though, the 3DO was probably the first console to use an ARM chip, which is now popular on modern cell phones. I think the second device to have one was the GameBoy Advance.

Back