Yahoo's Marissa Mayer on Mail Outage: 'We Really Let You Down'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
On Friday night, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer did something hardly ever seen in the corporate world: She personally apologized for Yahoo’s prolonged mail outage.

The outage affected 1 percent of the service's users, and that since the problem affected individual accounts in different ways, the resolution took longer than expected.

Trash interface/code. I'm sick of all the flash/java/html5 "features" that get added to websites solely for the purpose of looking "modern". Each one has some form of input-delay that is significantly more noticeable than a traditionally coded site. The problem being that on the backend there are a million more things happening (such every click, piece of data being shared with every advertiser on the planet), BUT AS WELL, shit coding. When even the most basic functions don't exist, or only work in a severely round-about way, then you need to look at your base, because a tack-on won't truly fix the issue.

I feel like I'm talking about MMO balance here. Things that are seemingly common sense are just ignored... who are these narrow-visioned people creating this crap?

When a CEO apologizes for outages publicly - privately someone is getting a new arse ripped open.

I've always said she was useless. Bravo job on wrecking Yahoo. Thankfully I don't use any of their garbage products.

Her apology shouldn't be so narrow. Yahoo Mail lets everyone down every day.

Any opportunity to see more pics of her is fine with me.

Yahoo Mail eats a pile of dicks even when it does work.

Hey look we have new flash down both sides of your e-mail to spam
you with ads.

Hey look, its my adblocker and my middle finger!

Trash interface/code. I'm sick of all the flash/java/html5 "features" that get added to websites solely for the purpose of looking "modern". Each one has some form of input-delay that is significantly more noticeable than a traditionally coded site. The problem being that on the backend there are a million more things happening (such every click, piece of data being shared with every advertiser on the planet), BUT AS WELL, shit coding. When even the most basic functions don't exist, or only work in a severely round-about way, then you need to look at your base, because a tack-on won't truly fix the issue.

I feel like I'm talking about MMO balance here. Things that are seemingly common sense are just ignored... who are these narrow-visioned people creating this crap?

Very true. Flash/Java/HTML5 are way over used and end up wrecking the website and my experience. It slows everything down to a crawl, wastes time, and wastes resources.

Back