R9 290 monitor goes to sleep while gaming

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
Just like the title says, my monitor goes to sleep while gaming. It used to only happen with bf4, but not it does it with every game (or benchmark). In the video I was running a benchmark and the screen goes black. Most of the time I can turn the monitor off, alt + tab, turn the monitor back on and it will show the desktop. At no point does the pc crash, I can always hear sound of the game.

The monitor is a dell 29 inch connected dp, 13.11 9.5 and the gpu is running at stock clocks. The rest of the system specs are in my sig. I am about to return the monitor and gpu.

http://youtu.be/R_1XLlYKL5w

Here are a few of the obvious tests:

1. Did you try your system with a different LCD to see if you can replicate the issue?
2. Did you try the GPU on a different system...?
3. Do you have another videocard you can try on existing system?
4. Have you tried using different driver versions....?
5. Do you have another power supply to test with your system...?

Good luck and report back!

I have the same problem but its become very infrequent with the 9.4 drivers. I can't get the monitor to come back however unless I hold the power button long enough to put the computer to sleep, then it pops back up right as its going to shut off.

I have the same problem but its become very infrequent with the 9.4 drivers. I can't get the monitor to come back however unless I hold the power button long enough to put the computer to sleep, then it pops back up right as its going to shut off.

Is the pc crashed? With mine I can still hear the applications sound.

I am going to try a dvi cable to see if that makes a difference. The pc had no issues with my 670 and I did a clean install of 8.1 when I changed cards. The monitor and gpu are both new.

This is a known issue of R9 290. In my case I had frequent black screens when overclocking the memory clocks, so maybe try underclocking yours a bit.

Is the pc crashed? With mine I can still hear the applications sound.

I am going to try a dvi cable to see if that makes a difference. The pc had no issues with my 670 and I did a clean install of 8.1 when I changed cards. The monitor and gpu are both new.

Yes I can still hear the sound, I can even click on things. It basically just loses display. Mine do it at stock settings and even underclocked, so maybe waiting for another driver is the best bet.

I bet this is best related. Have any of you tried pointing a fan at the card while gaming to see if this still happens?

There's def issues with these 9.x beta drivers. Sometimes while booting into windows my primary desktop gets switched around.

it seems this is a wide spread issue, I get it only when i enable power tune / over drive, disable it and it goes away.

sounds like the monitor is going out of sync, and dropping into powersaving mode

what is the model of the dell?

Hmm, I dont have this problem with either of my Monitors on either of my 290s. Is this a driver or hardware issue?

i'm experiencing the same problem with my dell u2913wm (21:9) monitor but my gfx is an old amd 6970. It never happened with my other dell 24" monitor so I'm guessing it's either the monitor or the driver issue.

i'm experiencing the same problem with my dell u2913wm (21:9) monitor but my gfx is an old amd 6970. It never happened with my other dell 24" monitor so I'm guessing it's either the monitor or the driver issue.

I had a lot of issues when I used DP on my 5870 and 7970. Moving back to D-DVI on my U2711 fixed everything for me, I even bought a new DP cable so I was sure it wasnt the cable but I cant be sure if it wasnt the DP port on my monitor. But D-DVI works fine so I never bothered to figure it out. I might know soon though as I am planning to buy some new monitors for Eyefinity.

are you connected via dp?

use a dvi cable.

I haven't had these issues, but i use HDMI and DVI connections.

I use a DVD-D with a 27inch 1440P Korean monitor without issues on my 290 CF setup.

just an update here.

there seem to be some sort of problem with the either the dp on the gpu or monitor. running the monitor with a dvi cable I have yet to encounter this problem. I don't have another dp monitor to test if it is the monitor of the gpu.

Back