Aereo Tells TV Barons – See You in Supreme Court

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s another David and Goliath scenario all over again. The David in this particular act is startup streaming service Aereo, who will not be contesting a move by the major broadcast goliaths to take the company before the Supreme Court for copyright infringement.

There's no guarantee that the Supreme Court will even hear the case, but by not contesting a move to the highest court in the land, Aereo will have a chance to settle the matter once and for all.

I hope Aereo wins. If something is broadcast for free over the airwaves, then people should be free to do what they want with it. What I, and I'm sure many others would love to see is the ability to get out-of-market broadcasts. I don't mind watching commercials, but there's no way in hell I'm getting DirecTV and the ridiculous NFL package on top of that just so I can see my old team play one game a week.

Aeroe is still basing what you can get on your location so I dont think it would help you get out of market NFL games.. Atleast not when using it properly, but I am sure someone would find a workaround.

Aeroe is still basing what you can get on your location so I dont think it would help you get out of market NFL games.. Atleast not when using it properly, but I am sure someone would find a workaround.

Location spoofing maybe.

Go little guy and while they are at it cut down broadcast fees

I'll be honest, I'm surprised that they can get away with their service and not be in violation of selling without paying retransmission fee. I can't just create a tv station and broadcast shows that I record off of other stations without paying for the rights.

They have tiny antennas in the data centers (1 for every subscriber) that receives the tv signal then sends it to you through internet. It is no different than putting an antenna up at your house. In essence they are doing that for you and your subscription cost covers bandwidth, data center rentals, employee costs and antennas (ect). Cable and satellite companies rebroadcast 1 signal to lots of people (with a cost). Hence different ways of doing it and grey area (hopefully supreme court will decide).

I'll be honest, I'm surprised that they can get away with their service and not be in violation of selling without paying retransmission fee. I can't just create a tv station and broadcast shows that I record off of other stations without paying for the rights.

people still pay for TV?

This is like a rapist suing a pedophile for giving out the same free candy. They both are going to screw you, the rapist (big tv broadcasters) are just pissed their monopoly is falling apart in the digital age.

They have tiny antennas in the data centers (1 for every subscriber) that receives the tv signal then sends it to you through internet. It is no different than putting an antenna up at your house. In essence they are doing that for you and your subscription cost covers bandwidth, data center rentals, employee costs and antennas (ect). Cable and satellite companies rebroadcast 1 signal to lots of people (with a cost). Hence different ways of doing it and grey area (hopefully supreme court will decide).

I can see that some then why that would be a gray area.

people still pay for TV?

This is like a rapist suing a pedophile for giving out the same free candy. They both are going to screw you, the rapist (big tv broadcasters) are just pissed their monopoly is falling apart in the digital age.

Not at all. I still pay for TV, because I like being able to watch shows when they air and in good quality. A lot of the shows that I watch aren't online for viewing (at least not by legal means), unless you consider showing up on Netflix a year after they air being online.

I also dislike having to watch anything on Hulu so I would gladly keep paying even if all the shows that I wanted to watch were on there.

They are gaming the law. They rent you a dvr and antenna. It is yours. Timeshifting and location shifting were mostly hashed out back with betamax and the lawsuits then. The media companies are arguing that having a physical tape is different than having a really long virtual wire to your tv.

Back