XFX R7950 Double Dissipation

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews has published a review of the XFX R7950 Double Dissipation. Overall, it seems they had a very positive experience with the card, here's a quote to get you started:

With everybody’s attention on the latest AMD Radeon releases, the R9 series, it often makes people forget the previous generation video cards, which are still relevant and frequently drop in price making them a good buy.

*checks calendar*

Yep, it's now Dec, 2013.

Somebody please forward the memo to Legit Reviews that says the 7950 is unavailable and discontinued. The 3rd party sellers at amazon are asking $440 using the link in their review.
Amazon doesn't have it in stock, and I doubt anyone could find an etailer that has this card for $250 as LegitReviews claims.

Not only that, but the DD heatsink is one of the worst heatsinks for the 7950 aftermarket cards.

*checks calendar*

Yep, it's now Dec, 2013.

Somebody please forward the memo to Legit Reviews that says the 7950 is unavailable and discontinued. The 3rd party sellers at amazon are asking $440 using the link in their review.
Amazon doesn't have it in stock, and I doubt anyone could find an etailer that has this card for $250 as LegitReviews claims.

Not only that, but the DD heatsink is one of the worst heatsinks for the 7950 aftermarket cards.

Speaking as someone that just bought this card like two weeks ago I can confirm....yes it gets pretty hot. And is impossible to find now.

Regardless of how good th eproduct is, that is a lousy name.

Do they really want to brag about how inefficient it is? :p

*checks calendar*

/cut

Is it really that bad with the 7950? I have a 7870 with the DD sink on it and even O/C to hell it cools awesome.

Is it really that bad with the 7950? I have a 7870 with the DD sink on it and even O/C to hell it cools awesome.

I bought one of these cards last spring and tested it out for a few weeks. The card would throttle a LOT because of the high temps. I can't remember the temps, sorry. One of the fans died after a month of use. It could have been a fluke, but the fans wouldn't have to spin as fast if the heatsink design was good. I tried undervolting the card a little and it helped a little, but it was still throttling a lot.

Here's another user who had excessively high temps with the XFX DD 7950:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1700706

I did an RMA to get a card with working fans, then sold the replacment and bought MSI TF3 7950's instead.

I bought the 7970 DD that was on sale during black friday and read stories about the poor heat sink fan so I took it off to inspect and replace the thermal paste.

They were much more liberal with the amount of thermal goop used compared to that 7950.
mcQcwjd.jpg

And since I had the burning question ever since the 7xxx series came out and I never found the answer. Can I still use my Danger Den Maze 4?
GUjlRO9.jpg

Yes it can so I'm just using that now.

*checks calendar*

Yep, it's now Dec, 2013.

Looks like it is no longer discontinued but the price has been jacked up.

I bought this card for $180 AR about 2 months ago (TDKC). Their review results are near identical to mine.

Came at 1.25v default voltage, core goes up to 1175mhz with no artifacting.

Max temperature in bf4 was about 73c in a well ventilated case. I haven't checked the thermal paste application since 73c is acceptable to me. Lifetime warranty is also nice.

Last edited:
Couple of things: I was always under the impression they suffered from sub par cooling and had VRM cooling issues due to no dedicated VRM sinks.

Your BF4 benchmark isn't very viable, you may very well have been CPU capped.

Lifetime warranty is impressive and well worth pointing out. My Sapphire 7950 only has a 2 year one (three should be the minimum IMO - technically Irish law would trump Sapphire's policy and I would have a leg to stand on after 2 years in small claims here but that's another story).

We have no such shortages of cards in the EU and the XFX model is the cheapest 7950 going, going for about 215 euro (we have no such tax rebates or anything, 20 - 23% VAT applied to everything :p).

BTW, I freaking love my Accelero/7950 combo, my 7950 is a pro wen undervolted, I've benched Valley for an hour and hit 44degrees MAX which is as warm as the DD idled :p And this is at 950 mhz not 925 :p

Last edited:
Back