Thoughts on 5.1 PC Gaming Sound Setup

Hey everyone, been trolling awhile, and this is my first post.

I've been gaming for nearly 8 years on a set of Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers. I really like them, but I really want to be able to take advantage of true 5.1 sound from my PC. I'm using onboard audio on the PC in my signature. I want to upgrade to a true 5.1 system using HDMI from my graphics card to a receiver.

I'm not looking for something very feature rich. I have a seperate HTPC connected to my TV and primarily just want to be able to take advantage of in game 5.1 audio and some movie watching from my network drives. As long as the receiver can provide TrueHD, DTS, etc... and is going to last that's good enough for me. I'm not interested in networking features or separate zones. I've been shopping around, but I'm not very informed on what I should be looking for when piecing together an audio system. My budget is around $800. I would not call myself an audiophile, but I want something a couple steps up from my logitechs. My office is about the size of a standard bedroom. Here's what I've been looking at. If I could get your expert opinions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Reciever: Denon AVR-E200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA36V1077838
Front and Rear Pairs: Polk Audio TSi 100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA36V1260037
Center: Polk CS10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA36V1154650
Sub: BIC America F12 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886986001

That all looks really good. The general consensus is to spend whatever you can afford on a subwoofer. By your budget it looks like you can spend up to $350 for a sub, so I'd stop by AVS forum and see which subs are being listed as the best performers in that price range.

The BIC is good for the money, but it may be worthwhile to step up to a higher quality sub. Try this instead: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html or the http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html.

Any of the three in this thread you should be fairly pleased with.

Last edited:
The BIC is good for the money, but it may be worthwhile to step up to a higher quality sub. Try this instead: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html or the http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html.
I'll take a look at those sub recommendations. Thanks for those.

Do you have room for full sized speakers? I promise that 2 really good speakers beat the hell out of 5 crappier ones.
I'd rather stick with 5.1 for the directional aspects in games over possible better quality of a higher end 2.1 system. They will mostly be used for gaming and not so much for music.

Yep, I'm running 5.1 for my gaming system (Polk speakers, Yamaha Receiver, and a Klipsh RW-12D Subwoofer) and it's definitely tops for games.

One thing you may want to budget is speaker stands for the surrounds? Not sure how your room is laid out.

Are there any specific features you would look for in a receiver as it applies to gaming? I figured I don't need anything too high end as long as it can push enough power and decode true 5.1 sound.

Also I have an eyefinity setup and I'd want everything to work with that as well. From what I've read it seems like there should be no problem running an HDMI from my video card to the receiver and then to one of the monitors. Am I correct in assuming this?

I would suggest this receiver:
Yamaha RX-V375

or 1 year older model

Yamaha RX-V373

because of this review

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v375

It gets exactly what you need. 5.1 audio, no networking and excellent sound. so, money was put into sound rather then into not needed networking features.

Also it supports 6 ohm+ speakers and have automatic sound calibration. I just bought Yamaha RX-V373 for my HTPC but have not yet installed it.

And I also upgrade from Logitech z-5450 though my Logitech supports DTS and real surround sound decoding via optical cable. I was happy with logitech but I really wanted much better front speakers and bought a pair of full sized and expensive speakers for left and right channels. For center and back I will reuse logitech satellites from 5450

Last edited:
That Yamaha should work nicely. I have the older model of the Sony referenced in the article (I have a 1010, they list a 1040) and it also works great. However the 1040 is much pricier. Older models are fine as long as they claim to support 3D...which is just code for HDMI 1.4.
The only things I would look for are HD audio decoding (for Blu-Ray movies and such) and as many HDMI slots as possible.

Personally, I'd recommend some larger front speakers. I've never heard those particular speakers, so for all I know they might be alright, but I just prefer a more robust mid range and I'd be surprised if they were beefy in that area.

The Yamaha looks good but it's there really anything more I would be getting for the $50 extra over the denon e200? They seem to have the same features. How big a sound difference will I notice between receivers? I'm pretty noobish about these things so i may be missing something.

The Yamaha looks good but it's there really anything more I would be getting for the $50 extra over the denon e200? They seem to have the same features. How big a sound difference will I notice between receivers? I'm pretty noobish about these things so i may be missing something.

Find Denon reviews and read what people say about sound qualty of it :) Also do Denon support automatic sound calibration with microphone?

Here you can see both Yamaha and Denon thoughts:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-receiver/

Last edited:
ooo going with a fancy 5.1 setup, I have a pair of logitech 5.1 they work really well, tho I also have a 1k studio monitor setup....

a good stereo does surround sound just fine. I can hear people running beside and behind me clear as day. whatever you are comfortable with though I promise it will blow your mind. really neat to actually see sounds moving around you. not literally, you hear things so well that you can point them out as they move around tje room. just more solid feeling.

a good stereo does surround sound just fine. I can hear people running beside and behind me clear as day. whatever you are comfortable with though I promise it will blow your mind. really neat to actually see sounds moving around you. not literally, you hear things so well that you can point them out as they move around tje room. just more solid feeling.
I've gamed with stereo speakers and headphones with CMSS-3D, and when it comes to positional audio, nothing compares to having discrete surround speakers as long as they're properly setup and not in arbitrary locations around the room. I tried CMSS-3D with stereo headphones and I could tell what effect was being applied to help differentiate between sounds in the front and rear but it was nowhere near as discrete as a speaker setup.

The only thing stereo is good for is stereo content. I'm deducting 5 [H]ard points for suggesting otherwise.

For the receiver, I'd look at the Denon AVR-1613 here. Audyssey MultEQ is quite an asset, imo.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking most at the Denon 1613. I like the look a little bit more than the Yamaha, but if I can find a Yamaha for cheaper I'd be game for that as well. The denon seems to have really good reviews and high satisfaction levels. For the speaker I'm still looking at the Polks Tsi100/200's. I'm curious how different the Tsi's are from the Polk monitor 30/40s. These seem to be pretty much the same speaker, am I wrong here? I'd want to pair it with a Polk CS10 center, and I'm still looking for a sub.

I haven't done much research on my subs yet. I'm not really sure what to look for when comparing the HSU to say the BIC's or any other sub for that matter. Obviously this is for a gaming rig so bass is important. What are some preferences as far as brands and models of subs people have personal experience with?

I'm beginning to lean towards the BIC PL-200, if I can find one cheap enough. Seems like it has great reviews and good bang for the buck.

So for those keeping track my system so far looks like:
Receiver: Denon AVR-1613 ~ $250
Front/Rear Speakers: Polk Tsi-100/Monitor 30's ~ $250
Center: Polk CS-10 ~ $120
Sub: BIC Acoustech PL-200 ~ $300

Total Cost: ~ $920

I'm scouring ebay and Amazon new/used looking for bargains to try and get back down closer to my original budget, but I've got some time and I enjoy a challenge. Feel free to give me any feedback on my selection. I've noticed the Monitor 30s are a bit cheaper than the Tsi 100s, I've read a couple places they are essentially the same speaker, anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
So after the holidays I've made a bit of progress on my system. So far I've picked up a Denon AVR 1613 and a BIC Acoustech PL200 sub. Now for the speakers. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with definitive technology pro800's/pro center 1000 specifically versus the polk tsi 100/cs10. I was leaning more towards the polks, but I've seen some good deals on the def tech's. Unfortunately I don't have a good show room to give each of these a listen. Feedback much appreciated. Thanks guys.

I recall reading over the years, your better off spending good money on a good pair of headphones, or high quality stereo speakers / amp as they will give you a better sound stage than cheaper surround sound system because they can easily create a surround environment due to better sound differential?

I game with Senn HD595's and i can hear the sound moving around in games fine with a Fiio amp...

I do have a pair of Logitech G35s which I love, but I still like to be surrounded by speakers, and part of the fun is the setup is it not. 5.1s for me, although I can appreciate what some quality stereo speakers can do.

On a seperate note, I picked up a pair of Def Tech Promonitor 800's for $120 a pair so I'll be working with those from here on out. I figure if I don't like the sound I'll just sell them.

Back