Xbox One: Modders Add Mouse & Keyboard Support

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of controller gamers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Something like that.

Oh snap! I might just buy a PS4(if they support it) and play them exclusives :)

They should add support for that stuff, anyway. Maybe not in game (unfair advantage, plus up to the developer of the game), but web browser on TV, email, searching is easier, chat, etc.. It would make it appeal to more people. Would I use a web browser on the TV? Probably not much (YouTube and things). Still, a good accessory to have.

They should add support for that stuff, anyway. Maybe not in game (unfair advantage, plus up to the developer of the game),

Hamstringing players by denying use of a better input method that would otherwise be available is not cool, sir.

can you imagine the nerd rage that would ensue were you to start playing COD with a m/kb .

Oh lawd...

Next week's gaming news headlines:

XBox Live modders banned for keyboard/mouse hacks. Consoles now bricked.

Hamstringing players by denying use of a better input method that would otherwise be available is not cool, sir.

I would rather not have to drag a keyboard and mouse into my living room just to be competitive while playing Halo. I'm not denying that a mouse is more accurate, but it ruins the whole console experience for everyone that isn't using one.

Damn lack of edit - yes I'm aware of XIM, and it's gratis status on XBL.

I would rather not have to drag a keyboard and mouse into my living room just to be competitive while playing Halo. I'm not denying that a mouse is more accurate, but it ruins the whole console experience for everyone that isn't using one.

That's why it'd be up to the developer. And, as people's comments have shown - it'd have to be done very carefully (maybe a server dedicated to M/KB players or matchmaking that way). Something would need to be done to equalize it.

The feature that's allows you to use say a ds4 on the xbox one or vise versa looks cool. But I can imagine the mouse and kb on a console would get old quick as you would just dominate the crap out of people.

How is letting people use a mouse and keyboard unfair? Have any of you ever played with some of the people who are really good at these games with controllers?

If Microsoft and/pr Sony can't design a controller better than what we've been using for decades on the PC maybe they should just let people use what works. Nobody whines about unfair advantages when they get creamed by 12 year olds on Call of Duty who are unstoppable because they have the free time to play nonstop. If one of those twerps gets owned by someone with a KB/M they can just do what I do when I get owned by a 12 year old who then calls me a fag: ragequit and throw their controller through the television.

But I can imagine the mouse and kb on a console would get old quick as you would just dominate the crap out of people.

As a long time XIM user, I hear this over and over again and it's simply not true. In our Call of Duty 'clan' we have a good mixture of XIM users and controller users. Average K/D ratio for XIM users is between 1.3 - 1.5, average K/D ratio for controller users is 1.8 - 2.0.

Granted, if you handed a XIM to a pro PC player and let him loose on a console he would probably dominate pubs. But put him against a pro console/controller player and I think you'd be surprised just how well they can do. In any event, that is a debate best saved for another thread, back on topic.

A couple facts as of today;

• Cronus does work with KB/M on XBone, but their software is far from optimal. It won't give you a 1:1 PC-like experience.
  • Cronus can be used as a bridge to allow XIM3 and XIM Edge to connect to the XBone and use XIM's software to get a more 1:1 PC-like experience. Note: XIM does not have official XBOne support as a stand-alone device as of right now.
  • Neither Cronus nor XIM have a working solution (or even proof of concept) for KB/M on PS4. It appears that DS4 controllers authenticate with the console via BT (even when hard wired) which is causing some issues allowing the adapters to function properly.

Good stuff. Do they plan on supporting the PS4 as well?

Both Cronus and XIM are working on PS4 support, but it's not likely on their current hardware. Look for new devices from both which should offer PS4 supprot over the next couple months.

I definitely want to get one of these when I get my XBOX1.

Be careful. As I noted above, the Cronus alone is not a great solution if you're used to playing on a PC. It won't feel quite right even after a lot of tweaking, etc. The best current solution is to run a XIM through Cronus to the XBone, but there hasn't been a lot of testing yet so we're waiting to see how this pans out.

The PS4 supports USB keyboards already. Mice will probably get added at some point.

For text input, maybe.

Both PS4 and XBone have the capability to used Keyboards and Mice, but it's up to the developers to enable and support it. Currently, there are no known titles which allow native keyboard/mouse support.

For text input, maybe.

Both PS4 and XBone have the capability to used Keyboards and Mice, but it's up to the developers to enable and support it. Currently, there are no known titles which allow native keyboard/mouse support.

My guess will be mostly MMOs, like Final Fantasy XIV, will only support it fully.

can you imagine the nerd rage that would ensue were you to start playing COD with a m/kb .

Oh lawd...
It wouldn't work unless the game was specifically made for m/kb. The keyboard wouldn't be the problem, but the mouse. Play Dark Souls and you'll see how using a mouse for an aim system made for a gamepad. It's extremely clunky.

As a long time XIM user, I hear this over and over again and it's simply not true. In our Call of Duty 'clan' we have a good mixture of XIM users and controller users. Average K/D ratio for XIM users is between 1.3 - 1.5, average K/D ratio for controller users is 1.8 - 2.0.

Granted, if you handed a XIM to a pro PC player and let him loose on a console he would probably dominate pubs. But put him against a pro console/controller player and I think you'd be surprised just how well they can do. In any event, that is a debate best saved for another thread, back on topic.
Very wishful thinking. Pro gamepad vs Pro m/kb you will obviously see the gamepad user get owned. But if you're basing this on a Xbox with the XIM adapter as proper keyboard and mouse setup, then you're all wrong. If the game wasn't designed to use keyboard and mouse, then it's just really bad.

Now if this was Call of Duty on the PC where both a gamepad and m/kb would work properly, then I'd believe you. But there's a reason why PC users can't play with console users. They've done their tests. Why is Valve creating a gamepad that tries to match the accuracy of a m/kb?

So either you know something that Microsoft, Sony, and Valve don't, or you're huffing paint.

It wouldn't work unless the game was specifically made for m/kb. The keyboard wouldn't be the problem, but the mouse. Play Dark Souls and you'll see how using a mouse for an aim system made for a gamepad. It's extremely clunky.

Very wishful thinking. Pro gamepad vs Pro m/kb you will obviously see the gamepad user get owned. But if you're basing this on a Xbox with the XIM adapter as proper keyboard and mouse setup, then you're all wrong. If the game wasn't designed to use keyboard and mouse, then it's just really bad.

Now if this was Call of Duty on the PC where both a gamepad and m/kb would work properly, then I'd believe you. But there's a reason why PC users can't play with console users. They've done their tests. Why is Valve creating a gamepad that tries to match the accuracy of a m/kb?

So either you know something that Microsoft, Sony, and Valve don't, or you're huffing paint.

There is no debate. People use controllers to play BF on PC and they get dominated. Holding XIM up as evidence to the contrary is like holding up hang glider and saying jets don't fly faster than birds.

Microsoft scrapped the cross platform XLive project for this very reason 3 years ago. Even the worst players with M/KB demolished the best players with controllers during testing.

I might get an Xbox One now.
Oh wait, I still have to pay a monthly fee just to use the console online after I have bought it and paid my ISP for an internet connection.
I think I will just stick with my PC. It pretty much uses a keyboard and mouse just like.......a PC.

That being said I do understand the appeal. If you have a bunch of friends that have and Xbox or a PS3/4, and you have a PC and want to game with them. I could not blame you for hooking up a Xim module to a console to play with friends.

I might get an Xbox One now.
Oh wait, I still have to pay a monthly fee just to use the console online after I have bought it and paid my ISP for an internet connection.
I think I will just stick with my PC. It pretty much uses a keyboard and mouse just like.......a PC.

That being said I do understand the appeal. If you have a bunch of friends that have and Xbox or a PS3/4, and you have a PC and want to game with them. I could not blame you for hooking up a Xim module to a console to play with friends.

All they have to do is make player pool options. Set your game to only play with M/KB, or Controller, or Both, and have at it. Might divide the player population, but they won't know how it will work unless they try. At the very least they could support COOP with any option.

Nice, I hope they can get get networking to recognize NAS so we can stream our own media to the XBOne.

I'm not sure about the newer COD games, but I know for a fact that the COD WAW on ps3 would let you use a usb mouse and keyboard out of the box. Believe it or not, some people actually prefer the controller to a mouse and keyboard. I'm sure none of those people could be classified as pro gamers. If they are having fun why hate?

I personally have been using M&Kb for so long there is no way I can stand one of those controllers. The only controller that is plugged into my PC right now is a R/C flight Yoke for my simulator. Trust me. You want to practice flying helicopters on a sim before you start slamming expensive parts into the ground.:D

people wanting to use keyboard and mouse on their console and here I try to avoid using it on the pc and us controller 95% of the time on that lol

but then again I just play games to have fun and don't play online much if really ever.

All they have to do is make player pool options. Set your game to only play with M/KB, or Controller, or Both, and have at it. Might divide the player population, but they won't know how it will work unless they try. At the very least they could support COOP with any option.

You mean like Unreal Tournament 3 did on the ps3? Take an already small player pool(ps3 gamers at the time), use an even smaller set of that(FPS players), get an even smaller subset(those interested in a sci-fi game), and allow them to match up to people with a mouse and KB.

It didn't work. The controller players got demolished, even though the game speed and framerate had already been lowered, and by allowing the community to divide itself(having the gamepad players opt in to get themselves wrecked by the few mouse/kb players), the mouse/kb players were so few that they might as well just play on the PC instead because they'd never get into a game because the gamepad players wouldn't want to get their asses handed to them. The multiplayer community was dead within a month.

Even if the same thing were tried in a much bigger franchise(like CoD), you'd see the gamepad players never opting in to play with the kb/mouse players, So other than the occasional "I want to play with my buddy but he won't play an FPS with a gamepad" for some private matches, it'll never go anywhere.

You mean like Unreal Tournament 3 did on the ps3? Take an already small player pool(ps3 gamers at the time), use an even smaller set of that(FPS players), get an even smaller subset(those interested in a sci-fi game), and allow them to match up to people with a mouse and KB.

It didn't work. The controller players got demolished, even though the game speed and framerate had already been lowered, and by allowing the community to divide itself(having the gamepad players opt in to get themselves wrecked by the few mouse/kb players), the mouse/kb players were so few that they might as well just play on the PC instead because they'd never get into a game because the gamepad players wouldn't want to get their asses handed to them. The multiplayer community was dead within a month.

In all honesty, I'd die from hysterical laughter if the KB/M combo decimated and killed off multi-player console gaming. With the grudge most console gamers hold against PC gamers it would be acutely fitting if our instruments of input annihilated their experience.

In all honesty, I'd die from hysterical laughter if the KB/M combo decimated and killed off multi-player console gaming. With the grudge most console gamers hold against PC gamers it would be acutely fitting if our instruments of input annihilated their experience.

Oh, I'm not saying I have a problem with it. In fact I'd enjoy being able to do so, while actually playing FPS games with some of my friends online even if it meant buying a second copy just to play on console. And I don't mean being the only people in a private lobby unable to find anyone to play against other than bots.

The excuse of "well then they'd have an advantage because they spent money" has been floating around for ages as to why gamepad console players don't want to get stomped by mouse/kb players. Yet oddly enough there's been gamepad thumbstick addons, aftermarket gamepads, and other little variations for years now while a basic mouse/kb combo could be had for $20 if it's such a problem. Nevermind the fact that with a proper audio setup, you can get better directional audio than someone using speakers built into their TV, which costs a lot more but that's never been an issue.

I was actually considering getting one of those chronus devices just to see if the thing would make FPS games playable on a console, never got around to it after I had tried that splitfish fragfx mess(I didn't have a problem using the nunchuck thing for movement in my left hand, it's that the mouse movements were always wonky).

not really. sure, if you look at only the hardware. but the consoles are highly tuned gaming and media machines. so games at 1080p run really well, and run better as devs get better at coding for them.

You should play me in some Halo 4 with my XIM. :D The advantage is ridiculous and controller gamers don't hold a candle to me. I would easily go 40-5 in Halo Reach SWAT single handedly winning the game for my team.

PS4 already supports USB keyboard and mouse as I have it connected to my Avocent KVM and it works. Just waiting for developers to support them in-game. They don't realize how many customers they could win over if they do this. Add Windows virtualization and most people, minus enthusiasts, can toss their PC.

Back