The Division's Gorgeous 'Snowdrop Engine' Detailed in New Video

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Tom Clancy’s upcoming game release The Division, was featured last night at VGX 2013, sporting the Snowdrop Engine and showing off what effects the engine has to offer in one of the most anticipated games of 2014.

This game cant come out soon enough. So far its looking like a day one buy for me which rarely happens anymore.

I remember when they first showed the game, when they went into combat, seeing the puffs of dust, smoke, sparks and material pop up from the cars in pretty impressive fashion really stuck with me.

After seeing this, it still looks like a "game" but it still very impressive.

What's up with two major engines named after snow/ice?

First time I have seen this. It literally put a smile on my face. Looks great and I can't wait to play it.

I remember when they first showed the game, when they went into combat, seeing the puffs of dust, smoke, sparks and material pop up from the cars in pretty impressive fashion really stuck with me.

After seeing this, it still looks like a "game" but it still very impressive.

Because Ice is awesome..

looks "cool" :p

I always look forward to more interactive and destructive environments. The dynamic lighting and volumetrics looks great as well. Let's hope the game is good or they release a nice dev kit for modding *crosses fingers*

I haven't been excited, or even interested, in any next-gen games until now. Crytek, DICE, and Epic Games need to sit down and start taking notes.

day one purchase for me as well -- and Tom Clancey games have never done it for me either.

Lets see how the actual game will measure up to the marketing spin. Kinda jaded about it these days. Should be better than past gen I'm sure, I'm comfortable with that assertion at least.

I'm more excited about this pushing multi-threading and memory usage harder on the PC side when they start porting stuff to it, it's been too long that console hardware held PC gaming back, time to get that ball rolling again now that they refreshed the hardware.

Lets see how the actual game will measure up to the marketing spin. Kinda jaded about it these days. Should be better than past gen I'm sure, I'm comfortable with that assertion at least.

I'm more excited about this pushing multi-threading and memory usage harder on the PC side when they start porting stuff to it, it's been too long that console hardware held PC gaming back, time to get that ball rolling again now that they refreshed the hardware.

I'm excited for this as well.

The video looks great, but I'm sorry I'll believe it when I see it in the released game.

Hopefully, their particle system doesn't mean having a physx card...

The video looks great, but I'm sorry I'll believe it when I see it in the released game.

Huh? You think that whole segment was pre-rendered or something? It was certainly staged with scripted dialogue to make it seem like some random people were just playing along like that, but the engine itself is certainly real-time.

Wonder if that was being shown on a console or pc hardware there.

Game is being designed for consoles and ported to the PC, so I am going to guess no.

Huh? You think that whole segment was pre-rendered or something? It was certainly staged with scripted dialogue to make it seem like some random people were just playing along like that, but the engine itself is certainly real-time.

You must be new to the world of marketing video games.

You must be new to the world of marketing video games.

I want to believe like he does, but sadly I am all too aware of the marketing spin on things..Take FarCry3 for example..It is a beautiful game when you can run it with all the settings maxed, but the game play didn't live up to the hype IMO...

Mainly the stupid hunting/fighting/killing animals part..To me it was a waste of time and got very boring very quickly and I had to push through it to get back to the more enjoyable parts of the game..

I do plan on getting this game if it comes out as a proper port, not a half ass bastardized mess like my most anticipated sequel of all time, MAFIA2 turned out to be..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Snowdrop Engine? it sounds like a weak ripoff of DICE's Frostbit Engine.

What bothers me the most about these games, and for the record, I play BF4 and love it, but, where's all the dust, dirt, sparks, tracers, dirt showers, ricochets, etc that war has. You should be able to empty a full clip into a room and smoke it up but good, or into soft material and get the same effect. I can't wait to see a game deliver on this. I think a lot more could be done with sound as well.

What bothers me the most about these games, and for the record, I play BF4 and love it, but, where's all the dust, dirt, sparks, tracers, dirt showers, ricochets, etc that war has. You should be able to empty a full clip into a room and smoke it up but good, or into soft material and get the same effect. I can't wait to see a game deliver on this. I think a lot more could be done with sound as well.

I agree, we need details like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHlLJyH2q8

Getting into this kind of action should send debris and thing sflying everywhere. IMO this is one area graphics could be greatly improved with particles, and actual terrain destruction/physics.

Seems most things in shooters are still bolted to the ground and have no damage model to them at all.

Nice graphics, but lets be honest. Every Tom Clancy game that was not from the original Red Storm (R6-Raven Shield, ORG) and the original 3 Splinter Cell games have not been that good. Ubi ran the only 3 good series with the Tom Clancy label into the ground in the early 2000s. Every other random game they throw the label onto has been rather subpar (HAWX, End War, ect.).

I guess you can say I don't have much high hopes for it. But put pretty graphics onto it, and you'll get lots of people interested. ;)

I wonder if the development of this engine had anything to do with the Rainbow 6 franchise (such as it is) being in limbo.

Actually I was originally a console exclusive by due to public outcry they have decided to port it to PC.

Guys,
How many times does the actual GAME look as good as the demo of the cutting edge game engine??

And when it is "ported" to PC, how often to they ramp up the graphics/effect to take advantage of the modern PCs superior performance?

It looks great but most of the time it is kind of like going to Burger King.

You see a picture of a big juicy hamburger on the menu sign. What you get looks like something a truck ran over and is about as appealing as toenail clippings.

I agree, we need details like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHlLJyH2q8

Getting into this kind of action should send debris and thing sflying everywhere. IMO this is one area graphics could be greatly improved with particles, and actual terrain destruction/physics.

Seems most things in shooters are still bolted to the ground and have no damage model to them at all.

Hmm I guess you never played BF3: Close Quarters before?

http://youtu.be/op25KdKB4oY
http://youtu.be/y6SmQOKZ2TU

Since all the new consoles are AMD.......I'd guess there ain't no PhysX happening here.

The clip looks really good, but I'm waiting to see how the game actually plays....I'm guessing meh.

It looks amazing, and the game looks great. I'm going to buy it, of course.

But, I have little expectation that the final product will look as good as what's being shown. On console or PC. There have been quite a few games lately that put on a big show with some gorgeous graphics and gameplay, then when the final is released it just isn't the same game - Aliens: Colonial Marines, Forza 5, many others.

Still going to be a great game, but I'm going to hold judgement until after the game is released. Until then, this is just a tech-demo video. Nothing more. Beautiful tech demo, I'll give them that.

Well, they can make it pretty, but can they make it fun and keep the game-killing bugs to a low simmer?

worm

Back