Intel to Ship 15-Core Ivytown Chip

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel has confirmed that the company will be releasing a 15-core chip called Ivytown, based on Ivy Bridge architecture designed for use in high-end servers.

The 15-core chip brings Intel close to AMD, which has plugged 16 cores into its latest Opteron 6300 chips. AMD shipped its first 16-core Opteron chips code-named Interlagos in 2011 and has not added cores to chips since.

Still waiting for their consumer version of 8 core. That should be my next upgrade

I wonder if any will be socket 2011..?

I think they're all socket 2011 (though I can only find references to socket "R1" 2011 vs. the current "R" 2011). I doubt these will work in anything less than the server boards they are designed for. Too many additional support parts like the memory buffer that you won't find anywhere else. Plus, the price! Egad.

Can't wait to see PPD numbers on these babies.

lol @ core count metric of performance in the quote. Intel seems to be doing fine with mostly using 1/2 the cores in competitive sockets to get 95.6% of the x86/x64 server market because AMD's MOAR CORES are relatively weak.

Why not ... 16?
We won't know until Intel releases a die micrograph or diagram. The way that Intel has the internal communication set for the 10c and 12c models may hint a way for a native 15c die. Or as suggested above, a core may be a spare to improve yields. We'll have to wait to see.

We won't know until Intel releases a die micrograph or diagram. The way that Intel has the internal communication set for the 10c and 12c models may hint a way for a native 15c die. Or as suggested above, a core may be a spare to improve yields. We'll have to wait to see.

Anandtech - IVB-EP 6/10/12 core arrangements

Based on the Intel schematics for the Ivy Bridge-EP dies, I think it's a 3x5 arrangement for a native 15 core unit, adding a core to each row of the 12-core. I remember reading that somewhere, but can't find a link.

A great pity that all of these monsters will be hard locked. I shudder to think of what a pair of these would be capable of if overclocked to 4.5GHz. They'd require very good cooling, but would be ridiculously fast. But, alas, they will end up as exciting as a Veyron detuned to 300hp and governed to 55 mph.

Truly sad, indeed...:(

15C at what, 1.8GHz? :p
Intel already has a 12c chip which runs at 2.7GHz base/3.5GHz max turbo (2c). If it were just simply scaled to 15c, it would probably run at ~2.2GHz base/whatever turbo in the same 130W TDP. If Intel has improved anything with the process, the base frequency could be a bit higher.

Yeah, not too interesting as a desktop processor at those speeds. :p

A great pity that all of these monsters will be hard locked. I shudder to think of what a pair of these would be capable of if overclocked to 4.5GHz. They'd require very good cooling, but would be ridiculously fast. But, alas, they will end up as exciting as a Veyron detuned to 300hp and governed to 55 mph.

Truly sad, indeed...:(

You can get some AMD 16 core CPUs unlocked, have a look at the distributing computing section of this forum. My two are fast as shit.

Back