Xbox One Users Warned Over Backward-Compatibility Hoax

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is warning Xbox One users not to believe everything they read on the Internet especially when it concerns the Xbox One. There is a guide making the rounds on how to make your Xbox One backward compatible, but when followed can turn your new purchase into One Xbox Brick. :eek:

It’s not clear if any users have been duped by the Xbox One backwards-compatibility hoax, but it’s possible that less tech-savvy gamers could be caught out if they catch sight of the official-looking guide.

OMG.... that is hilarious....

The last link they got about iOS7 making the phone waterproof. Oh, the sheer stupidity of some people.

Anyway, I can see this actually working at one point or another... adding backward compatibility I mean, not the method provided here. It's probably a good ways off if it does happen though.

This is why windows system critical files and folders are by default hidden in windows 7 and 8.1.

I suppose hiding this was the point of that as well, eh stupid is as stupid does.

Any link to the BS guide? I can't find it anywhere...

xbox-backwards-compatibility-unlock.jpg

There you are

OMG it works awesome!!

I'm playing Pac-man on my Xbox 360.. I mean XBONE just fine now... everyone quick.. try this! :D

Axe :)

The fact that people tried it shows that backwards compatibility was an issue for some owners. It may also be due to the Xbone lacking any games worth a damn, and people having sold their Xbox 360 in order to pay for the Xbone, and then realizing they were screwed.

That shouldn't brick an xb1 just change the sandbox back to "retail" and it should be fine.

Hmm, people say it causes an endless reboot. Interesting, I wonder what's magic about that sandbox. Not going to try it.

You know if you spell gullible out load it sounds like orange right?
Saw it on the internet, has to be true!
Just ask those Apple users how well that waterproof OS upgrade worked out for them.

Dear god I wish the people falling for all this stuff were sterilized and removed from the gene pool.

Hmm, people say it causes an endless reboot. Interesting, I wonder what's magic about that sandbox. Not going to try it.

Sounds like some people got a lesson on the Internet recently.

The fact that people tried it shows that backwards compatibility was an issue for some owners. It may also be due to the Xbone lacking any games worth a damn, and people having sold their Xbox 360 in order to pay for the Xbone, and then realizing they were screwed.

Not really sure I would call it an issue.

Could just be people saw that and thought I will turn that on so that I don't have to have both systems anymore then.

That was a warning about using any invalid sandbox id. you should only change that is you have a ID@Xbox account to tie it to for doing Indy development.

I think Microsoft just wants to milk the 360 as much as they can. If the XB1 was backward compatible,there wouldn't be any reason to buy all those 360's they still have in inventory.

I think Microsoft just wants to milk the 360 as much as they can. If the XB1 was backward compatible,there wouldn't be any reason to buy all those 360's they still have in inventory.

Naw, there is no evil conspiracy here, simply both MS and Sony did a big jump in architechture from PowerPC derivatives to x86-64bit ones.

In order to ensure backwards compatibilities both would have had to add the deprecated hardware in the new system and that would have driven their already significant costs up.

Still LOL at some people >.<

Naw, there is no evil conspiracy here, simply both MS and Sony did a big jump in architechture from PowerPC derivatives to x86-64bit ones.

In order to ensure backwards compatibilities both would have had to add the deprecated hardware in the new system and that would have driven their already significant costs up.

Still LOL at some people >.<

Yeah, people seem to forget that the stupid EE Is partially why the PS3 cost $600 at launch, or the individual patches for backwards compatibility on the 360 to allow it to play the original xbox games(that they quit doing back in like 2008 and only got half of 'em done) eating up time and money was lame for MS and devs. Backwards compatibility didn't even exist for the longest time on consoles, and wasn't an issue for the most part. Just an extremely vocal minority throwing a fit because they didn't want an extra system sitting in the living room, pretending that a new console launch meant that they'd automatically have to toss their old systems in the dumpster or try to sell them on ebay.

My goodness, tech geeks wonder why they're looked down upon with scorn, this thread gives reason enough. Dickhead tech person creates a fake instructional which will brick their console... other tech people come along and say things like "haha, you should have known better" or "well that will teach them". Back to the basement with you, annoying tech geeks.

But really, the first question that came to my mind is why in the fuck can you brick a console like that in the first place? Sounds like, ya know, a bit of a design flaw. You really should not be able to brick a DVD player or a TV or a console or any other closed system without physically opening it and damaging something or attaching a dodgy 3rd party peripheral.

My goodness, tech geeks wonder why they're looked down upon with scorn, this thread gives reason enough. Dickhead tech person creates a fake instructional which will brick their console... other tech people come along and say things like "haha, you should have known better" or "well that will teach them". Back to the basement with you, annoying tech geeks.

But really, the first question that came to my mind is why in the fuck can you brick a console like that in the first place? Sounds like, ya know, a bit of a design flaw. You really should not be able to brick a DVD player or a TV or a console or any other closed system without physically opening it and damaging something or attaching a dodgy 3rd party peripheral.

You are issuing a comment to turn the system into a dev kit. It restarts then finds that you have not given it valid information and doesn't know how to go on.

Now that said, I do agree that maybe they should have maybe put some type of check in there before it restarts or something. But you also shouldn't be playing in secret menus either.

Maybe before this becomes usable by the public they will patch that to work a little different and fix that issue of it locking you in a reboot cycle.

You are issuing a comment to turn the system into a dev kit. It restarts then finds that you have not given it valid information and doesn't know how to go on.

Now that said, I do agree that maybe they should have maybe put some type of check in there before it restarts or something. But you also shouldn't be playing in secret menus either.

Maybe before this becomes usable by the public they will patch that to work a little different and fix that issue of it locking you in a reboot cycle.

No I agree you shouldn't be playing in secret menus, but I still think it's a design flaw to be able to play in secret menus to brick the thing in the first place. Even on a desktop PC it's very difficult to actually brick your machine, especially from within the OS.

It sounds like a design flaw that a) A consumer can actually turn it in to a dev kit and cause irreparable damage without any additional hardware or, b) That the reboot cycle will cycle before it allows you to get back in to the command console to disable it or can't be paused and disabled.

No I agree you shouldn't be playing in secret menus, but I still think it's a design flaw to be able to play in secret menus to brick the thing in the first place. Even on a desktop PC it's very difficult to actually brick your machine, especially from within the OS.

It sounds like a design flaw that a) A consumer can actually turn it in to a dev kit and cause irreparable damage without any additional hardware or, b) That the reboot cycle will cycle before it allows you to get back in to the command console to disable it or can't be paused and disabled.

A isn't a problem as that is by design. I believe that Microsoft wanted to make it easier for the average joe like you and me to be able to make games and submit them to the Xbox market place. So now all you do is go to their site. request an ID@Xbox account (which isn't open to the public just yet till things are a little more polished with the service) and then you go into the menu, turn on dev kit, enter your id and now you can test your own games. The idea is that this allows anyone and everyone to be able to use their retail xbox as a dev kit to prevent the need from special hardware. At least that is what I gathered from what I have read elsewhere.

Which that by itself is great. You want to play around with building your own game. You can get free tools to do so, you can get a free account to do so, and you can use your existing xbox to test it.

Now b is an issue. Which I don't think will always break it, as I read elsewhere if you did screw around in that menu then to just factory reset the device to get it back to a normal device. So I wonder if the reboot in that name might somewhere cause it to do reboot every time it reads the name. Which again is a flaw.

Either way shit like this makes people in tech support line of work feel secure in their job.

Back