Internet Explorer 11 at It Again, Breaks Microsoft's Own CRM Software

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ruh Roh, Microsoft: Physician heal thyself. It seems Microsoft has its hands full dealing with its problem child, Internet Explorer 11. IE 11 has an issue playing nice with some of the other Microsoft products.

All of this will be a bummer for anyone who upgraded to Windows 8.1, because IE11 was included as part of the upgrade and there's no way to roll back to the previous version once you're running Redmond's latest OS.

Well, that's what happens when you have such an aggressive release schedule... like a new version every 1-2 years. Who would have time to test or update affected products in that short period? :D

Uh.... the article has basically nothing to do with the quote in terms of how it appears here :p, the only thing they're saying is affected is one microsoft cloud crm website. This has literally no bearing on 99.99999999% of the people here ;) or anywhere really.

I swear Microsoft has caught a Clinical case of stupid sometime last year, and we're still dealing with it.

Most likely, it's because of the User Agent String they decided to change in IE11 so it looks like it's Firefox instead of IE.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...sniffing-compatibility-with-gecko-webkit.aspx

Since most MS web properties, (OWA, Sharepoint, CRM, ETC) and many other sites look for an MSIE string to activate an "enhanced" user experience and fallback to a compatibility mode (or outright fail with a "your browser isn't compatible" message) when they detect anything else (like Gecko, which is what IE11 defines itself as) It's wreaking havoc with anyone that Upgrades and old Microsoft vendor lock-in techniques that they used in the past are now coming back to haunt them.

If they would have left well enough alone, eventually the old IE sites would phase themselves out as they depreciate, but Microsoft apparently didn't piss off enough users and admins this year with windows 8.1's start menu button that fixes nothing, office 2013 retails requiring a Microsoft account to install or the whole Xbox debacle so they pulled this stupid stunt to piss off web developers.

We already got caught by this.

IE 10 didn't work with CRM 4.0, we finally upgrade to CRM 2011 and then they roll out IE 11 that doesn't work with CRM 2011

How Microsoft could release IE11, and not have an update ready for their CRM 2011 product is just clueless.

IE9 installed here.. No need to upgrade.. I don't use it.

I installed it on a machine and nothing from Google would work at all on it. Gmail/Maps/Search...nothing. Page cannot be displayed over and over.

Wasn't a show stopper as well, we don;t use IE but bloody bizarre.

Uh.... the article has basically nothing to do with the quote in terms of how it appears here :p, the only thing they're saying is affected is one microsoft cloud crm website. This has literally no bearing on 99.99999999% of the people here ;) or anywhere really.

07-minister.jpg

So, you're saying most people here use the business customer-relationship management software cloud site from Microsoft and do not have the ability to login to it with a different browser for that site (being the only major issue described)? Somehow I doubt most people here on this forum are running their own business performing that role. But hey if you have statistics to the contrary please feel free to post them, because common sense says otherwise.

IE11 breaks WAY more than just Microsoft CRM -- especially when combined with older products.

It also fails to render many websites properly -- specifically, many of the EMR systems I deal with do NOT render properly on IE11 unless compatibility mode is turned on (and a couple still still have issues even with compatibility mode turned on -- but they are ones that specifically say they don't officially support anything newer than IE8).

Also, if you install IE11 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, then it totally FUBAR's many of the Gadgets if you are running your system text sizing at anything other than the default 100%. Yes, I know Microsoft no longer officially supports Gadgets, but they shouldn't actively BREAK THEM in products that were shipped with them. I know a lot of people who prefer having the weather gadget and calendar up all the time -- and the stupid live tiles interface in Windows 8 does nothing to fill this gap. I personally prefer to keep my system in Desktop mode all the time, so I never see the live tiles, and even so, I still like having the gadgets up on my secondary screen all the time with the time, weather, and calendar always visible (in addition to Outlook). Assuming you are only using the basic gadgets and not installing ones from untrusted 3rd parties, they aren't particularly unsafe or vulnerable anyway.

I liked 8.1 but quit using it because of IE11. (POS) To many incompatibilities, and no way to stop the TABS. They killed off my AdMuncher, unknown as to when or if there will be a fix. Some sites just do not like 11. If it is not broken don't fix it. Yeah I know use Fire Fox. I happen to like IE10 better.

Microsoft needs to give up on IE11, Silverlight...and everything but Windows 7.

Back