Eizo CX240 Review

Lebowsky

Weaksauce
As some of you know (well at least Namelessme and NCX :p), I recently bought a CX240 after having been hugely disappointed with the Asus VN279QLB. Context: I don't game (or very little), watch lots of movies and do a lot of work (Ultraedit, Excel, etc...)

I found the Asus, which was supposed to be more or less the best VA panel out there to watch movies in a dark room to be of rather poor quality, and it was bleeding backlight all over the place. Check the pics in the link above to make your own opinion. I am coming from using an old 19" Samsung S-PVA of which I was very fond of (comparison pics in the link above as well).

So since I had the money and didn't want to trust any of those recent VA panels, I decided to go much higher up the monitor chain. Enter the Eizo CX240.

The CX240 is a wide gamut monitor aimed at enthusiasts and "budget" color professionals (photo students, etc). It is a stripped down version of the CG246, which is Eizo's flagship of the coloredge line. Stripped down are the colorimeter and colornavigator software, and hood. It is however factory pre-calibrated and includes a built-in sensor to maintain calibration settings.

prad has a review of the CX240 in german: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-eizo-cx240.html

So, do I like it you may want to ask? HELL YES :D This is night and day compared to the Asus. Colors are so clear, image is so crisp... no backlight bleeding, no black crush, no nothing. It's perfect. Except the price...

People have asked me about the cooling fans. Yes you can hear them. No they're not loud, but you can hear them. My screen makes more or less as much noise as my fractal R4 case. I always have music or a movie on so I don't mind, but I'd say if you want a dead silent working environment, this isn't for you unless you look into replacing them. This might be possible, but I don't intend on opening the screen to check that...

Summary:

+ no bleed
+ ATW-Polarizer (or something like that / example from the CG246 here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1727707))
+ no glow
+ viewing angles
+ wide gamut
+ sRGB mode covers 98-99% of sRGB
+ 16:10 = great for working. some people don't care, but I really do feel the difference with 16:9!

- price
- fan noise
- no included colorimeter/calibration software
- input lag most likely not suited for heavy gaming

and now for the pics. Let me know if you want more and what kind I should do!

fully black screen (movie credits) in a fully dark room
P1020107.JPG

side shot in a dark room (you can see the blue led from the bottom right of the screen - the red thing is a reflection from a power strip light in the window)
P1020108.JPG

dark scene in a fully dark room:
P1020109.JPG

regular scene in a fully dark room:
P1020110.JPG

Last edited:
i'm really surprised by the blacks displayed here and no glow, since they're not using an ATW polarizer. really sweet monitor, congrats!

Well there is some kind of a polarizer film I was told, which is used to tame glow and boost contrast and blacks, but it seems like Eizo is pretty secretive about it (says prad I think)

Coming from an 8 yo S-PVA panel.. I now understand what black crush was lol!

Nice review. The fans and cost would scare me away from that model, but it's good to know that the polarizer (or whatever they are using) is still out there if manufacturers want to use it. NEC's response of not being able to source the A-TW anymore isn't exactly so credible then.

I assume that model uses PWM? I think for models where color accuracy is a high priority, they still keep PWM.... just wondering if it's high enough where flicker is not an issue.

Did you do any side by side comparisons (or pics) with the VA? Or have you already returned the Asus?

I still find it peculiar that blacks were better than they were on the VA, although of course bleed and color shift probably was the culprit in your case.

Last edited:
The 1000.1 contrast ratio would be too low from me in a dark room, especially watching TV or a Movie.
The 2013 MVA Monitor panels form "AU Optronics Corporate" are also really crappy, i had a BenQ GW2760HS and i returned it and keep my BenQ GW2450HM from 2012 that was 4 times less grayish also and could produce really good white.

Last edited:
My previous company used several of these monitors. They are very nice, and the quality is top notch. I found the fan to be a nuisance in a professional environment which was usually quite quiet though.

Do Eizo's built-in calibration sensors work just as well as stand alone third party calibration kits?

I assume that model uses PWM? I think for models where color accuracy is a high priority, they still keep PWM.... just wondering if it's high enough where flicker is not an issue.

It does use PWM. I didn't really understand the part about PWM in the prad review. All I can say is that until now (2 weeks of use), it hasn't bothered me one bit - and I know I'm a bit sensitive to that stuff.

Did you do any side by side comparisons (or pics) with the VA? Or have you already returned the Asus?

I still find it peculiar that blacks were better than they were on the VA, although of course bleed and color shift probably was the culprit in your case.

The 1000.1 contrast ratio would be too low from me in a dark room, especially watching TV or a Movie.
The 2013 MVA Monitor panels form "AU Optronics Corporate" are also really crappy, i had a BenQ GW2760HS and i returned it and keep my BenQ GW2450HM from 2012 that was 4 times less grayish also and could produce really good white.

The Asus is already packed and ready to be sold, I don't want to set it up again. The pictures I took from it back then and which are linked to in the first post were taken with the same camera in the same room with the exact same lightning (=none).

Subjectively, the blacks on the Eizo feel less "deep" than on the niddle of the Asus pabel and the old Samsung even, however, when considered as a whole, the colors are so much more intense... There is just no comparison. You usually don't continuously stare at fully black screen anyway. :p The blacks on the CX240 are black on the whole screen and not greyish like on the sides of the Asus due to the backlight bleed..

hope that sentence was clear :p

My previous company used several of these monitors. They are very nice, and the quality is top notch. I found the fan to be a nuisance in a professional environment which was usually quite quiet though.

I think the fans might be replaceable. Someboady pointed me to TFTCentral who opened a 27" monitor: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_sx2762w.htm . If you know what you're doing it would be worth a shot imho.

Do Eizo's built-in calibration sensors work just as well as stand alone third party calibration kits?

It's not a calibration sensor but a correction sensor which is used to keep the calibration settings - at least that's how I understood it. If you want to calibrate, you need an stand-alone device. Only the CG246 has its own calibration sensor.

this monitor looks almost as good as my LG :rolleyes:

too bad they didn't use passive cooling. LCD panels can tolerate much higher temperatures than what LED can produce. Also LCDs run better with higher temperature because pixel transition time is faster when panel is hotter so it would be even beneficial to actually heat up panels than cool them down needlesly

I do have a question: is it matte or semi glossy?

It's not a calibration sensor but a correction sensor which is used to keep the calibration settings - at least that's how I understood it. If you want to calibrate, you need an stand-alone device. Only the CG246 has its own calibration sensor.

Thanks for the clarification. That leads to a logical question: Would the Eizo with its sensor need to be calibrated? Or would the self-correcting sensor be enough? I assume there still may be some color drift over time.

@sblantipodi
pardon me, but I don't get it, you suggest this EIZO isn't as good or that my LG isn't as good? :confused:

either way those monitors are pretty comparable which is great for both of them :)
I get eyegasm watching mine, and I have color synesthesia so I mean it in literal way :D

BTW. I probably can't read or smt but does CX240 support hardware calibration with gamut emulation or not? Translation of prad.de is inconclusive :confused:

I do have a question: is it matte or semi glossy?

it's matte but the AG really is very light

this monitor looks almost as good as my LG :rolleyes

Well I think sblantipodi is a bit exaggerating... It's probably in the same league as your LG. Although your LG is even more expensive.

too bad they didn't use passive cooling. LCD panels can tolerate much higher temperatures than what LED can produce. Also LCDs run better with higher temperature because pixel transition time is faster when panel is hotter so it would be even beneficial to actually heat up panels than cool them down needlesly?

yeah this is really the main downside to it for me. muvh more than the price...

Thanks for the clarification. That leads to a logical question: Would the Eizo with its sensor need to be calibrated? Or would the self-correcting sensor be enough? I assume there still may be some color drift over time.

BTW. I probably can't read or smt but does CX240 support hardware calibration with gamut emulation or not? Translation of prad.de is inconclusive :confused:

It's supposed to be factory-calibrated, but you can of course use an i1 or similar device to calibrate it yourself. There were options to buy the calibration device + colornavigator software, but I chose not to.

It does use PWM. I didn't really understand the part about PWM in the prad review. All I can say is that until now (2 weeks of use), it hasn't bothered me one bit - and I know I'm a bit sensitive to that stuff.

The Asus is already packed and ready to be sold, I don't want to set it up again. The pictures I took from it back then and which are linked to in the first post were taken with the same camera in the same room with the exact same lightning (=none).

Subjectively, the blacks on the Eizo feel less "deep" than on the niddle of the Asus pabel and the old Samsung even, however, when considered as a whole, the colors are so much more intense... There is just no comparison. You usually don't continuously stare at fully black screen anyway. :p The blacks on the CX240 are black on the whole screen and not greyish like on the sides of the Asus due to the backlight bleed..

hope that sentence was clear :p

I think the fans might be replaceable. Someboady pointed me to TFTCentral who opened a 27" monitor: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_sx2762w.htm . If you know what you're doing it would be worth a shot imho.

It's supposed to use PWM below a certain brightness level I think it was below 18% brightness but I'm not sure what that is in cdm/2. And yeah, the cx240 comes with a correction sensor to keep it in line and the CG uses a full calbration sensor that pops out of the bottom of the bezel. I don't feel a lot of input lag with the screen, but it's not up there with the most pixel responsive screens, though it's more than good enough for general gaming. Not sure what the difference is between CG and CX.

@sblantipodi
pardon me, but I don't get it, you suggest this EIZO isn't as good or that my LG isn't as good? :confused:

either way those monitors are pretty comparable which is great for both of them :)
I get eyegasm watching mine, and I have color synesthesia so I mean it in literal way :D

Yes, the CG246 and CX240 both support full calibration capabilities, and 3d gamut emulation and transformation.

I can never understand sblantipodi's answers either :D

And yes it does use a polarizer film that looks extremely similar to the A-TW polarizer on the LCD2490WUXI and your LG including the slight red green tint on blacks when viewed from angle, except it's a semi-gloss without the graininess.

I really want this over my EV2436W since it has IPS Glow when sitting infront of it. But i'm still being hold back by the fact that it has Cooling Fans.

Now i an Antec P280 all fitted with Noctua Fans running at 600 RPM. A U14S for thr CPU and my videocard is using a dead silent Arctic Cooler. Apart from all that it's sitting underneat my desk.

I sit about 70 to 80 CM away from my monitor, would i hear the CX240 at that distance in a room with just the PC on.?

You'll likely hear the fan, but it's not a whirring sound, just an air movement sound. I sit about that distance too, but it's not loud enough to bother me. It's a lot less irritating than coil whine or inverter buzz.

How is it for gaming? Input lag and ghosting. (I'm bored with my catleap and want something new)

You'll likely hear the fan, but it's not a whirring sound, just an air movement sound. I sit about that distance too, but it's not loud enough to bother me. It's a lot less irritating than coil whine or inverter buzz.

Any chance you can measure the fan size looking thru the back of the grill?

I would feel comfortable removing the back and replace them with Noctua Fans if they arn't 50x50 MM that is.

How is it for gaming? Input lag and ghosting. (I'm bored with my catleap and want something new)

Well my previous EIZO S2231W wasn't designed for Gaming either but i never noticed any ghosting, but then again i don't play Shooters are super fast Games.

Pretty sure the CX240 will do fine for a Casual Gamer.

Fact is if you have an extremely high standard for uniformity there isn't a cheaper monitor than this.

So, do I like it you may want to ask? HELL YES :D This is night and day compared to the Asus. Colors are so clear, image is so crisp... no backlight bleeding, no black crush, no nothing. It's perfect. Except the price...
You know, you need to sell monitors...

like Svarog said above, I'd say it's probably perfectly fine for casual gaming, but forget it if you're a hardcore CS player...

Any chance you can measure the fan size looking thru the back of the grill?

It's hard to say exactly, but I would say 8x8 cm

You know, you need to sell monitors...

LOL, well it's only proportional to my disappointment when I first plugged the Asus VN279QLB after settling for it after weeks and weeks of research only to find out what backlight bleeding was :(

Thanks. The monitor is very tempting. And according to prad, it has normal IPS input lag and ghosting.

The Eizo EV2736W is also very interesting, thanks NCX. Do you know if it can go above 61hz?

Last edited:
Multi-input models either do not overclock at all or if they do they drop all of the frames. Have to buy a Qnix/X-Star single input model, Overlord Tempest or Yamakasi 2B if you want to overclock.

How does an IPS panel have better black levels than a VA?

Multi-input models either do not overclock at all or if they do they drop all of the frames. Have to buy a Qnix/X-Star single input model, Overlord Tempest or Yamakasi 2B if you want to overclock.

Ok, I have the catleap already. How do I tell which matte Qnix is polarized? It's just that you said some... So I guess not every matte Qnix comes with polarizer.:confused:

Ok, I have the catleap already. How do I tell which matte Qnix is polarized?

I don't know if Samsung is equipping their PLS panels with A-TW/their own glow reducing polarizer or if many matte Qnix's have them. Most people criticize the Qnix's glow and the unit =DEAD= reviewed glowed normally. A glow free EV2736W would compliment your Catleap nicely. Use the EV2736W for movies and dark games and the Catleap for FPS.

It's hard to say exactly, but I would say 8x8 cm

In that case in send EIZO a mail, hopefully they want to share the exact dimensions.

If it is 80MM then i can't go Noctua because it's most likely not 25MM thick.

damn, this monitor looks so good. please, say something bad about it so I stop wanting it... someone who has it already. Like it's really bad in games, like colors in games are dull or ghosting is too high....

NCX - thanks for the advice. I'll really think about it. :)

Unless you own an i1 display pro or spectrophometer and need 100% sRGB & Adobe RGB color space coverage this monitor is a waste of money since the EV2736W is essentially a bigger, consumer oriented version without the high end features most people will never use.

It's a wide gamut monitor, so, if one wants over-saturated and inaccurate, art direction disrespecting colors for games & movies they can set the color space to aRGB instead of sRGB. The pixel response times are a little slower than the 1440p models & it has 1 frame of input lag (so do most 1440p monitors) so it will feel slow compared to an overclocked Catleap.

If I could afford one of these I would wait for the 27" models

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790020&highlight=eizo

Last edited:
How does an IPS panel have better black levels than a VA?

It doesn't, it does only have much better screen uniformity. A VA can have deep blacks in the center, with all the sides grey it's still pretty crappy.

Unless you own an i1 display pro or spectrophometer and need 100% sRGB & Adobe RGB color space coverage this monitor is a waste of money since the EV2736W is essentially a bigger, consumer oriented version without the high end features most people will never use.

It's a wide gamut monitor, so, if one wants over-saturated and inaccurate, art direction disrespecting colors for games & movies they can set the color space to aRGB instead of sRGB. The pixel response times are a little slower than the 1440p models & it has 1 frame of input lag (so do most 1440p monitors) so it will feel slow compared to an overclocked Catleap.

If I could afford one of these I would wait for the 27" models

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790020&highlight=eizo

Some people prefer vertical space of a 16:10 24" over a 16:9 27" - to each its own. No one mentioned the EV2436 as being glow free and as good as the CX240, so...

Saying movies look bad on a wide gamut monitor is quite unfair and a bit dishonest. There are plenty of color managed video playback applications - starting with the best video player out there: MPC-HC - which is free. I can't speak for games, but don't say movies have inaccurate colors, because it's quite the opposite. I guess for games you can also always turn on the sRGB mode.

damn, this monitor looks so good. please, say something bad about it so I stop wanting it... someone who has it already. Like it's really bad in games, like colors in games are dull or ghosting is too high....

A fairly frequent gamer would have to chime in here.

No one mentioned the EV2436 as being glow free and as good as the CX240, so...

My EV2436W is definitely NOT Glow free, it's not super bad tho but it is there when sitting infront of it.

The lower left has a little, and the lower right has some. You wont notice it with colorful Games tho, but Skyrim for example with dark nights and interiors it's noticible and for me quite distracting. I'm currently not playing dark games just because of that. Other than the Glow everything else is perfect about mine, there is no bleeding, the uniformity is perfect. The colors are fine, i did had to get used to them as my old S2231W had better colors, but after a week you're used to it.

--------------------------------

I am in the market for a CX240 for sure, but only if the Fan can be replaced with a quiet one.

I mailed EIZO earlier today, hopefully they are willing to answer me. If not then i'm stuck with this EV2436W.

Last edited:
I am very interested in the fan replacement. Let me know how that goes - and please document it if you go for it :)

I just gotten an e-mail from EIZO Europe (In Dutch).

I been told that in May 2013 the CX240 has gotten an update with the fan. It has been replaced with a different one. Now the person said it's making less than 1 dB noise which is questionable.

But i guess i could force the shop to ship me one with a recent manufacturing date.

Any chance you could check your manufacturing date and location of manufacturing Lebowsky?

Last edited:
it's made in Japan 2012-08-09 :( If you get a silent one let me know, I'll see if I can have mine replaced by Eizo Switzerland directly!

it's made in Japan 2012-08-09 :( If you get a silent one let me know, I'll see if I can have mine replaced by Eizo Switzerland directly!

I send the retailer a mail. I hope to have a response tomorrow.

If all goes well and i can get one with a recent date i should be able to let you know somewhere next week.

Saying movies look bad on a wide gamut monitor is quite unfair and a bit dishonest. There are plenty of color managed video playback applications - starting with the best video player out there: MPC-HC - which is free. I can't speak for games, but don't say movies have inaccurate colors, because it's quite the opposite. I guess for games you can also always turn on the sRGB mode.

Besides, one could always just watch movies in the sRGB mode like any other non-wide gamut monitor, couldn't they?

Hmm, the retailer i contacted for the CX240 currently has a nice deal going on untill 31th of December a free ColorNavigator Licence which normaly costs 200 Euros :O

I hope it can be sorted soon :p

sRGB in this montior is spot on, and will be definitely better than anything you can get from any 8bit CMS because in sRGB mode there will be no banding or dithering and with CMS you either one or the other. Also what you wan't to correct here http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-eizo-cx240-teil10.html :confused:

One can buy such monitor and use sRGB mode 99% of the time forgetting that native gamut is any higher than sRGB :eek:

Back