What the Hell Is Wrong With Nintendo?

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, that is a damn good question. Why has it been so long since Nintendo was kicked in the nuts like this?

“Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. each sold more game consoles in 24 hours than the Wii U maker did in nine months,” read the story. “[Nintendo] sold just 460,000 Wii U machines in the six months ended Sept. 30, about 5 percent of its target for the fiscal year.” Christmas may represent a big part of Nintendo’s yearly business, but it sure as heck isn’t 95 percent.

Ouch. Nintendo may be going the way of Sega fairly soon. :( Sad times.

Because Nintendo had shit at launch and shit for 4 months after that.

Time to go software only and release a Zelda for PS4.

Nintendo has billions upon billions in the bank they're just sitting on, I think, if anything, they'll just make a new system (one that may actually compete) and re-evaluate their stance on third party support.

But Nintendo does so well crowding out 3rd party titles. How could that not be good for the ecosystem? lol

The issue is it hardly offered any new over the PS3/360. It was a bit faster, but who in the console world spends $300+ for a tiny upgrade? Not many. There are the people who own every console and die hard Nintendo fans, but for the average person it did not do much while having a non-existent online community and small library compared to the 360/PS3.

And everyone knew the PS4 and One would be around the corner which would offer larger jumps. Had they made it more powerful, even less than the PS4/One, it might have sold better.

The PS4 and Xbone may suck, but the Wiiu only just drew Nintendo even with the 360 and the PS3.

They're a great distance behind and working with less horsepower. The Wii may have been huge and by far the top console of the last generation but it seems that Nintendo's latest just doesn't offer the same sort of dumb fun factor that the Wii did.

Don't worry guys, you can play subscription virtual tennis and bowling for $10 each sport.... sure it was free on the Wii, but you will pay an extra 20 bucks for the same game as what came with the 6 year old last gen console. Sounds fair right? Also, all your virtual console games you bought on the wii... yeah those can't transfer, buy the same NES game you have purchased about ten times over... again! but on Wii U... Want to play zelda on the Wii U? here, play some 2 generations old gamecube crap that you've already played before, but hey its shiny and there are more blades of grass to look at... only $60 bucks guys....

That said, I do own a Wii U, and the new Super Mario 3D World is actually amazing, and extremely polished and fun to play, and the new 3DS zelda link between worlds omage to the SNES link to the past is excellent as well. At first glance you think remake, but it actually is an entirely new game set in the same world, and it is awesome as well.

Nintendo needs to rethink a lot of things, but they do do some things right.

The PS4 and Xbone may suck, but the Wiiu only just drew Nintendo even with the 360 and the PS3.

They're a great distance behind and working with less horsepower. The Wii may have been huge and by far the top console of the last generation but it seems that Nintendo's latest just doesn't offer the same sort of dumb fun factor that the Wii did.

In the US, the Xbox 360 passed the Wii by the end of the generation. They ended up at #2.

I like the console. I like how wide the controller is my hands don't fall asleep playing it. But what the system doesn't have is games. The two games I have played on it are both Mario titles (aside from demos). You can only milk the cash cow for so long Nintendo. Sure there were other games on the system I wanted to give a shot but nothing I was willing to drop full price on. Nintendo should be dropping the price on most of the Wii U's games and most of them are holding on at their launch prices. Take some cues from Steam, do sales drop prices. Lower game prices will help convince people to play it. It won't sway everyone but it would help.

Speaking of games why the hell has it taken so long for Wii Fit U to make it out? This should have been a no brainer my wife would have bought that crap day one.

Then there was the pack in Nintendoland. What a pile of crap. New Super Mario should have been the pack in on the premium console. Instead Nintendo milks us for an extra $60. Now for $40 less people get the console and the game that should have been with it from day one (saving them a total of $100).

Finally there is price. At $300 that is a tough sell, being slightly more capable than a 360 with no where near the library or online support doesn't make much sense. Pretty much what Nintendo is relying on are the people that need their Mario and Zelda fix and there aren't that many of us out there willing to buy a console for a couple games.

Nintendo isn't going to go to a software only company any time soon, in-fact I think the current management will sink the ship before they go that route. But with the cash they have going on it will be some time before we get to find out.

Should have looked at the original Wii, beyond a few games (that were not AAA titles by any sense of the imagination) it really didn't need the Wii-mote for anything. The nunchuck? Ummm that just added the analog stick and a couple extra buttons which "the other guys" already had on their single connected joypad. So what does Nintendo do after seeing all that? Hey lets make a system that takes advantage of the growing trend of tablets and put on on the Wii so that the price of the system increases 50% and only have a few games that really need to use it forever fucking us in the ass with a Koopa Troopa

I think the biggest thing is the remotes it was fun for for frist day then got stupid having to ues it vs just a controller

All of the WiiU's problems revolve around that stupid ass controller. Many of us said from the beginning it was going to directly be involved in the WiiU failing miserably. All the fanboy's shouted us down and swore that all mighty nintendo couldn't screw up.

Who was right now? Oh right..Those of us actually capable of liking a company and being critical of their product at the same time.

maybe because they don't have pretty graphics and a touch pad no one needs. Seriously this is a video console not a fucking etch and sketch

This went seriously downhill for nintendo when they started targetting the casual gamer. Wii sports, Wii Fit? the hell kind of a names are those? I've heard piss hitting the urinal that is more extravagant sounding.

In my opinion, the casual-gamer is the worst target to cater to especially on a game console that's primarily for, wait for it, GAMING. Those casual gamers are like that one-time smoker who doesn't smoke again because all they wanted to do was try it and fit in and to be cool but can't take the taste and their bodies aren't prepared for the rigors of the daily grind. The casual gamer is like a disease going from one thing to the next after they extracted all the fun out of it. Farmville, then bejewelled, then Candy Crush. I'm sure a good lot of them probably got bored of the Wii-mote too. It was fun for like 5 minutes.

Don't worry guys, you can play subscription virtual tennis and bowling for $10 each sport.... sure it was free on the Wii, but you will pay an extra 20 bucks for the same game as what came with the 6 year old last gen console. Sounds fair right? Also, all your virtual console games you bought on the wii... yeah those can't transfer, buy the same NES game you have purchased about ten times over... again! but on Wii U... Want to play zelda on the Wii U? here, play some 2 generations old gamecube crap that you've already played before, but hey its shiny and there are more blades of grass to look at... only $60 bucks guys....

That said, I do own a Wii U, and the new Super Mario 3D World is actually amazing, and extremely polished and fun to play, and the new 3DS zelda link between worlds omage to the SNES link to the past is excellent as well. At first glance you think remake, but it actually is an entirely new game set in the same world, and it is awesome as well.

Nintendo needs to rethink a lot of things, but they do do some things right.

Get educated: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...p?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-transfer-ht-content

Agree that SM3DW is overpriced.

I suspect that Nintendo is doing fairly well if you consider their cumulative sales of their consoles and handhelds put together.

Someone From Nintendo once before said that if they don't make the hardware, they wouldn't make the games. So if they hold to that we could all be on the losing end.

I'd like to see them dump the Wii U but they should have already learned a lesson from Sega Saturn and Dreamcast failure to re-launch a new system too early they lose not only dev. support but gamers support as well.

The idea of dropping the Wii U Pad isn't a bad Idea but I think Nintendo has become too convoluted with its peripherals and gimmicky (who isn't making a gimmick these days!). Honestly I never loved the touchpad add-on of the DS. They again release a DS with 3D just stacking on things that dilute the gamer experience. The Wii did this with the motion controls and the Wii U stacked on a unnecessary gamepad that to me looks more frustrating than fun.

Can't blame Nintendo for trying some new things but people are seeing past that now, get back to the Gameboy with a Sony Vita screen and analog sticks. Drop the bullpoop accessories on the Wii U and get to the core experience again... Well maybe a few more rail shooters like House of the Dead: Overkill!

I'm still more likely to buy a Nintendo console than Sony or Microsoft. Xbone and PS4 have next to nothing I want. Nintendo has very little I want but still more than the other 2.

I scored one as soon as it was released. Then I brought it back cause my kids weren't interested cause there was no Mariokart or Smash Brothers. One year later there still missing. Dumbasses.

The handhelds are serving them well, but it's only a matter of time before phones and tablets take over their market.

I think part of the problem here is that they're just too traditional to attempt to even adapt to the market, thinking instead that the market will adapt to them due to their past successes (SNES and earlier).

For too long they've viewed that the only real important market was the Japanese market, and the rest of the world was treated as secondary, whereas Sony, Sega, and Microsoft realized that they could make money outside of Japan. And Nintendo has wanted close control on the hardware so they could strip money from developers by charging extreme amounts for proprietary cartridges, while other companies moved towards cheaper mediums. Because of this, they've alienated an entire generation of gamers with their consoles and rather than trying to adapt to the market to try to recapture some of it, they've decided to gamble and go after untapped markets, in this case, the casual gamer. But the problem here is that casual gamers are called casual gamers for a reason. You can't charge them hardcore gamer prices and think that you have a winning formula while at the same time alienating hardcore gamers with second rate hardware.

Nintendo needs to do the following:
1. Stop making consoles and systems.
2. Put classic titles and Pokemon from the GameBoy era on all mobile platforms (iOS, Android, WP).
3. Partner with Sony/Microsoft to release other titles on their platform.

It's obvious they are in the state of Blackberry when it comes to hardware. Move the software to hardware that's already on the market.

Sold my 360 and all my games for a Wii U. I am incredibly happy with the decision and don't miss the 360 at all. Remember, people cried doom for the 3DS too and it is now arguably one of the best gaming console with the best gaming library some 18-24 months later.

The Wii U might not be as powerful but nintendo is pushing for interesting/unique art styles and 60FPS which I'd take any day over a ton more eye candy on a X1/PS4 and 30FPS. Super Mario 3D World is INCREDIBLY smooth as is the new Zelda for the 3DS.

Disclaimer, I was not a fan of the original Wii.

Here is where they fucked up:
Note the red text. DEC - JUL, not a single game from them.

61jf.png

Here's hoping Microsoft buys Nintendo and makes all their games Xbox exclusives! How's that for you PS4 fanboys? :D

The poor sales of the Wii U have more to do with the market than the console itself. Many people that bought the Wii are the same people that can be satisfied by the quick and dirty games you see on the likes of Facebook and smartphones. People who consider themselves "gamers" have always bought Nintendo consoles solely to play the next big Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, and this has pretty much been true since the N64 days.

However I don't think any of this means that Nintendo will go the way of Sega, people wrote off the Gamecube as a failure and yet Nintendo is still making consoles more than 10 years later. Then again, I am sure many people do wish for them to fail so they can play they don't have to buy an extra console just to play the next Zelda :)

Here's hoping Microsoft buys Nintendo and makes all their games Xbox exclusives! How's that for you PS4 fanboys? :D

I think Nintendo has better financials than Microsoft, especially with the massive reserves they have. Nintendo is not going anywhere as they are probably back at the drawing board looking into their next product. The problem is that they left the hard core market to target the fluff and that limits their options a bit.

However came up with the Wii U should be shot. I'm not even sure wtf it is actually, but what I do know is that the console that I purchased for my girls apparently isn't having any more games made for it... The kick in the nuts is that the replacement is some goofy ass tablet controller that i'm not sure nor care how it works.

My next system will be a ps4 unless they do that gay mandatory always connected to the internet crap that will burn up my monthly data cap of 10 gigs..

Just some random charts to peruse through.. BTW, the original Bloomberg.com article doesn't cite where this "460,000" total comes from.

Worldwide Hardware chart (Dec 3, 2013)
Hardware_zps2f284026.png

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251421/weekly-sales-analysis-23-november-xbox-one-launches-with-strong-sales/
The Wii U sold 111,046 units, an increase of 33,836 (44%).. year-to-year, the Wii U is down 361,053 (-76%)

Nintendo_Sales_Figures_Small.png

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nintendo-becoming-a-multi-platform-publisher-developer-why-is-this-idea-so-horrible.453574177/page-5

20130317_videogameconsoles_sales.jpg

from March, 2013 - http://www.tekrevue.com/2013/03/17/compared-the-best-selling-video-game-consoles-of-all-time/

I think Nintendo has better financials than Microsoft, especially with the massive reserves they have. Nintendo is not going anywhere as they are probably back at the drawing board looking into their next product. The problem is that they left the hard core market to target the fluff and that limits their options a bit.
Yeah Nintendo isn't a troubled company like Sony was/is they had massive amounts of cash on hand so they can eat losses for a good amount of time. Granted it's not a winning formula but they have time to change things up. Hell sony could have been bought several years back by microsoft, although anti trust laws may have prevented that from ever being much of an idea. Nintendo and Microsoft merger could be beneficial though as Nintendo is big in asia bigger than Sony and their 1st part content is still very good. Although it doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to do so as they don't get nearly as much, microsoft game division doesn't nearly have the quality IP and their market share in EU and NA only makes sense in a software royalty level.

Back