Reform ECPA: Tell the Government to Get a Warrant

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new petition is making the rounds today (Google, among other companies, is forwarding this to customers) that is basically telling our government to "get a warrant" if they want access to information you have stored online. Thanks to Anthony T. and everyone else that sent this one in.

Right now, several bills in Congress would fix this by updating ECPA to require a warrant, but regulatory bodies are blocking reform in order to gain new powers of warrantless access. We call on the Obama Administration to support ECPA reform and to reject any special rules that would force online service providers to disclose our email without a warrant.

We call on the Obama Administration to support ECPA reform and to reject any special rules that would force online service providers to disclose our email without a warrant.

LMAO!! I needed a good laugh today!

Google should create some sort of front-end that transparently shows all unsolicited data requests.

Google should create some sort of front-end that transparently shows all unsolicited data requests.
You mean an unsolicited request for your own information, or just post a running tally on Google's home page?

You mean an unsolicited request for your own information, or just post a running tally on Google's home page?

Not sure, but I feel like a public deflection of such things would save the company face, and give us more visibility of what big bro is snooping for.

I signed the petition and several others as well over the past couple of months. What the government is doing is a crock of shit! :mad:

If they divulge that information without explicit approval they could then be prosecuted under the Patriot Act for violating secrecy laws.

For exapmle, an elderly librarian and her assistant were arrested when the elderly woman handed a National Security letter addressed to herself to her assistant because she couldn't see well enough to open it herself at her age, in her physical condition.

It's mentioned by Judge Andrew Napolitano in one of his speeches, "Natural Rights and the Patriot Act". (Near the beginning of part 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1P53wMbnsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhNZjanX9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2m-X7OIuY

Not even 50.000 signatures?
What a pacified, lazy, pussy ass society the US has become.

I didn't even know about this petition... Maybe it's just that the word wasn't put out. People can't sign something they don't know exists....

I signed and shared it so others will...

Obama needs to fix his now shattered relationship with Millenials so a College Debt Forgiveness Act is in the works.

Signed! This spying on us and searching our digital lives has gone WAY over the line.

worm

People do not want to create an account on Obama's site to tell the administration he sucks because...well, it's Obama's site and you will automatically be added to the 'watch' list.

Besides, the whitehouse petition means absolutely nothing, all they have to do is say 'no' to what ever request.

You want to make a difference, get a lawyer and take them to court. Otherwise your just wasting time.

People do not want to create an account on Obama's site to tell the administration he sucks because...well, it's Obama's site and you will automatically be added to the 'watch' list.

Besides, the whitehouse petition means absolutely nothing, all they have to do is say 'no' to what ever request.

You want to make a difference, get a lawyer and take them to court. Otherwise your just wasting time.
As if the 'watchers' don't work for Obama. Nice fantasy.

Back