Western Digital Black² Dual Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yet another review of the Western Digital Black² hybrid hard drive has hit the internet today but this time around it is the folks at Legion Hardwware doing the reviewing.

That said, when compared to any 2.5” HDD the SSD performance of the Black² is so much faster there is no comparing the two, so in a sense job done. If only the Black² came with a more potent controller than the pokey JMicron 667H we would have been really blown away by this product.

Western Digital is going to have to do a lot better than this if they want to make any headway in the SSD market.

I think the big problem with this device (aside from the price) is that it by default is essentially 2 drives, unlike the SSHD from Seagate. At the very least, it should have the option of being a whole drive or separated drive (via some jumpers or something maybe?)

I think the big problem with this device (aside from the price) is that it by default is essentially 2 drives, unlike the SSHD from Seagate. At the very least, it should have the option of being a whole drive or separated drive (via some jumpers or something maybe?)

2 separate drives is why this drive is so much better than seagate's hybrid drives.

You have choice. Install OS and APPs on SSD. Store media on HDD.

With a hybrid drive, it essential a large cache hard drive, you can't pick and choose what you want.

IMO, price needs to drop $50 at least, but since this is the first time it has been done it seem to be a fair price for what you are getting, a SSD/HDD combo drive.

You can get a WD Blue WD10SPCX 1TB drive for about $130 on Newegg which leaves $170 for the SSD side.

they should give us 2 options, combined and not. i would love to drop it into a PS4 in the future.

There is no point to purchase HDD, unless you are using for mass storage. Their prime days are over. WD and Seagate have to realize that.

This is nice for a power user on the go. I ran dual drives in both my 2009 and 2011 17" MacBook Pros using a 1TB Blue in the SuperDrive bay and a Crucial m4 in the main bay. This solves that. There's a price premium but that's expected considering very few laptops have dual 2.5" bays.

I wish they'd stop trying to make hybrid drives happen. They're not going to happen.

It is a 1 TB WD Black and a 128 GB SSD, probably mSATA.
Problem is at $300 you are looking at 500GB pure SSDs, M500 or Samsung 840 EVO.
So, what do you need space wise? Worse at 12+mm thick forget thin laptops.

It is a 1 TB WD Black and a 128 GB SSD, probably mSATA.
Problem is at $300 you are looking at 500GB pure SSDs, M500 or Samsung 840 EVO.
So, what do you need space wise? Worse at 12+mm thick forget thin laptops.

The drive is 9.5mm.

There is no point to purchase HDD, unless you are using for mass storage. Their prime days are over. WD and Seagate have to realize that.

Well I'm used to have mass storage at home, so when on the go I'd like to have some of that. Not that this is a success for me, I need to replace my laptop and what I'm targeting is something like an ultrabook, with a mSATA bay and a 2,5" bay.

Back